Why become a member? ×

Enthusiastic young lady builds her first bass

tauzero

I've just watched this - it's an interesting build, finishing up with an intriguing and quite attractive (except it's not headless), not to mention good sounding, instrument. It seems a bit on the thick side at 2.5"/6.2cm, so probably a bit heavy. I would guess at a P-width but J-depth neck, from what I could see of it and the male bassist who was playing it at the end (and seemed genuinely impressed).

• Like 7

Impressive.

But...

Looking at her other videos she's already got some serious woodworking skills and a very well equipped workshop, plus these days all the information you need to make a guitar or bass is easily available on-line, so it shouldn't really be any surprise that the finished bass turned out good.

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

"don't use ivory, ivory is bad"

Uses a piece of bone instead 🤦

I don't see the problem. Ivory comes from critically endangered elephants, bone for nuts comes from anything with a big enough internal skeleton - generally cows (not currently endangered), so maybe it would be an issue in Hindu countries.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

I don't see the problem. Ivory comes from critically endangered elephants, bone for nuts comes from anything with a big enough internal skeleton - generally cows (not currently endangered), so maybe it would be an issue in Hindu countries.

I don't wish to start a thread derailing debate so I'll retire from the conversation.

23 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Looking at her other videos she's already got some serious woodworking skills and a very well equipped workshop...

That workshop is like in Wheeler Dealers: lots of space, good light, all tools available, and of quality.

My tiny corner beside the car in the garage has good light... and that's it. I do have to improvise a lot - especially during cold winters - to be able to produce something even closely similar. But yes, I love this kind of videos.

Now I have this in progress: 20220711_182841.thumb.jpg.e71627f6bb89e5d932672192539a1437.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, itu said:

That workshop is like in Wheeler Dealers: lots of space, good light, all tools available, and of quality.

My tiny corner beside the car in the garage has good light... and that's it. I do have to improvise a lot - especially during cold winters - to be able to produce something even closely similar. But yes, I love this kind of videos.

Now I have this in progress: 20220711_182841.thumb.jpg.e71627f6bb89e5d932672192539a1437.jpg

Looks great, but can't quite wrap my head around how it is supposed to function in actual practice.

Like how would you adjust string action, and wouldn't adjusting intonation cause the ball ends of the strings to get in the way of the intonation screws, unless they all are adjusted at absolute max length, which kind of would defeat the whole purpose in the first place?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

This is just the tuning system of the headless. There is a bridge in front of this. I did not want to make one big block. I have to update the pic, when the set is ready. Now I am waiting for the anodizing company coming back from the summer holiday. The set will probably be black.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 10:51, BigRedX said:

Impressive.

But...

Looking at her other videos she's already got some serious woodworking skills and a very well equipped workshop, plus these days all the information you need to make a guitar or bass is easily available on-line, so it shouldn't really be any surprise that the finished bass turned out good.

You don't have to rain on everything.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, itu said:

Presumably the screw/bolt [1] ends rotate freely in the string end holders but are fixed so they can't move forwards or back, and the holes in the carrier are threaded, so the blocks will move backwards and forwards but the ends of the screws won't go into the holes that hold the string ends.

[1] Please $DEITY let us not have a repeat of the screw/bolt debate

12 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

You don't have to rain on everything.

I'm not raining on anything, but simply pointing out that when you have built up the required skills and have easy access to all the information you need and a workshop full of power tools, you would actually have to deliberately make mistakes in order to produce something that wasn't at least, good.

At the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch, when I built my own solid electric instruments in the late 70s the only source of information about how to make your own guitar was Stephen Delft's monthly series of articles in International Musician magazine. There was no Stewmac and the like for getting supplies, so several issues were given over to how to modify existing woodworking tools to make them suitable for guitar building, and two articles were dedicated to making your own truss rod from scratch (the alternative at the time would have been to remove a functional one from an existing guitar). My two instruments were made almost entirely with hand tools, at school we weren't allowed to use power tools ourselves, but the woodwork teacher did put my rough cut wood blanks through the planner and cut out the body shape (very roughly) on the bandsaw. However everything else was done by hand and I probably spent as much time sharpening plane and chisel blades as I did actually shaping the wood. Each instrument took the whole school year to make and I spent every lesson where I wasn't actually required to be in class for one of my A Level subjects in the woodwork shop. Therefore having gone through the process myself I know how much easier having a fully equipped workshop with all the modern power tools at your disposal would make it.

That's not to say that the end result in the video isn't impressive, but it's tempered by the fact that IMO you'd have to be a complete numpty in that situation not to make something good.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2