Why become a member? ×

New bass bridge designs part 2 ... solving all bridge problem that doesn't exist ??

Sidlanir

I like the look of the claw bridge, but I think it would work best on a more contemporary bass design. Looks a bit incongruous on a P/J bass really. That goes doubly for the torpedo bridge -- I can see that working best on a Ritter or maybe Marleaux bass. 

15 hours ago, Bassassin said:

With the torpedo design, it's a pity the protruding ball-ends are visible - IMO they spoil the aesthetic. You'd think it would be simple enough to have them sit inside a recess at the end of the unit to conceal them.

Agreed 100%. Hiding the ball ends would complete the illusion.

I'd half forgotten about the 2Tek bridge. Looks like it weighs a ton... great for helping with neck dive (e.g. my Thunder 1A), but not if the bass is already heavy (e.g. my Thunder 1A).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That thing frightens me :/

I'm a huge fan of the Warwick bridge. The adjustability is great:

- the saddles can be raised and lowered;

- the intonation range is huge;

- the string spacing can be adjusted (limited adjustment range, but it's there);

- the bridge as a whole can be raised and lowered;

- everything solidly locks into place.

It has some downsides too though:

- the stock bridge on Rockbass and most German basses is a cast metal job, and on 6-strings and Broadneck 5-strings has been known to bend under string tension. There is a version machined from solid brass, but it comes at a cost (scary money);

- the separate tailpiece is picky about string gauge: too thick and you'll need to squeeze it flat with a pair of pliers first or it won't fit;

- it's pretty big, and requires routing for both the bridge and the separate tailpiece.

5 hours ago, itu said:

Warwick bridge seems to be copied from Alembic. I think the first Thumb I saw in the 1990's had a one piece Schaller bridge.

I don't think it's an Alembic copy - it's a different shape and offers a lot more adjustment*. Separate bridge and tailpiece wasn't an Alembic innovation. 

*This isn't a criticism of the Alembic bridge - they are designed to match the instrument so individual string height adjustment isn't necessary.

11 hours ago, itu said:

Warwick bridge seems to be copied from Alembic. I think the first Thumb I saw in the 1990's had a one piece Schaller bridge.

My 1987 Thumb has the one-piece bridge (Schaller 3D). I think the change came in 1988, I've seen 1988 Warwicks with the two-piece setup.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, such said:

Unless those Warwicks have adjustable height frets, the adjustable height nut is an overengineered marketing gimmick. Or a way to pass some crucial luthier work to the end user. 

I was so happy with mine that I fitted another couple of basses with them.

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

I was so happy with mine that I fitted another couple of basses with them.

I'm not saying it's not an enjoyable piece of equipment. I'm saying there is an objectively correct/perfect height it should be set to, regardless of the strings and all the other setup. Having it adjustable makes finding that one height easier than filing, and reversible if one goes too low. But it also creates an opportunity for an error. Usually, when we buy a £100 bass, the nut is cut too high, and we have to work on it ourselves. Warwick charges us an extra £100, so that we can work on it ourselves. Marketing genius.