Why become a member? ×

Single Point of Failure

Tripehound

Now that I only play Helix straight to PA (and through an FRFR speaker for rehearsals) I'm aware that I'm vulnerable to it lacking out on me on a gig and that I should have something in reserve. Just a straight bass tone would do - classic SVT or GK etc for a pop/rock/disco covers band.

I keep looking at the Atomic Bass Box which looks good in the few videos of it and is now heavily discounted (is this significant?) - there don't seem to be many reviews. The GK Plex is also a possibility if I could pick one up used.

I know the obvious answer is probably a Stomp but cheap git that I am I'd like something less expensive.

Any suggestions? 

Cheap & reliable that will do an SVT type sound says Behringer BDI21 to me. They’re pretty hard wearing too. I believe there’s still one up for grabs on here - Thunderbird bring the seller. 

For something more expensive Aguilar Tonehammer is worth a try.

• Like 2

If you're just after a small backup pedal in-case the Helix dies then I'd consider the Zoom MS-60B (or the B1 Four as mentioned, but it's more bulky to carry about as a usually un-used backup). It can do EQ, Compression, Overdrive, Tuner, and other effects (including synth effects that might be useful to use in the Helix FX loop), and it takes batteries so no need to carry a backup (non Helix) power supply. 

Or on a bigger budget as you're considering the Atomic Bass Box or the GK Plex which are both about £250 new (and I'm not sure if they take batteries- which would mean you'd also need to carry a backup power supply) I'd consider the Sansamp pedals - they take batteries, are small/sturdy, have  EQ and drive and the XLR DI (which the Helix and Zoom don't have, so could be useful). 

If the Helix dies on you though would you also need a Tuner, and possibly Compressor?  I've recently ordered a Fishman Platinum Pro which takes batteries and has EQ (including HPF), XLR DI, Tuner, Compressor...not drive though so perhaps not suitable for what you're after. 

Edited by SumOne

Also recommend the Laney digbeth. Clean and drive no problems along with a 4 band eq. The zoom ms60b also great and does all the bells and whistles you would associate with a multi, including tuner. Why not both! 🤣

Sansamp also obviously great but you could get both the previous pedals for the price of a sansamp....still cheaper than a stomp though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2022 at 20:37, Lozz196 said:

Cheap & reliable that will do an SVT type sound says Behringer BDI21 to me. They’re pretty hard wearing too. I believe there’s still one up for grabs on here - Thunderbird bring the seller. 

For something more expensive Aguilar Tonehammer is worth a try.

Another shout out for the BDI21. For around £20 for something that sounds good you can't go wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/02/2022 at 11:31, MacDaddy said:

Another shout out for the BDI21. For around £20 for something that sounds good you can't go wrong.

+1. OP is looking for a safety net in case the Helix fails and can't be sorted atm ? Eg by "Turning it on and off". So imo doesn't warrant a high outlay.

And if the Helix does prove to be prone to flipping out then a proper solution is needed really.

fwiw I'd recommend putting some sort of mains filter in the power feed to the Helix to reduce susceptibility to electrical issues at different venues.