Why become a member? ×

Who to use to post a bass UK mainland?

iconic

Packed a bass of to Paul-S 2 weeks back using ParcelForce Express 48 , arrived safely 48 hours later.

Another went out to Barrow in Furness this week , collected Monday before noon and delivered by mid afternoon Tuesday.

Both went uninsured as they were not in hardcases, that an insurance condition . If you do ship a bass and hardcase then Parcelforce/RM do offer insurance but it is limited to £200 or £300 , insurance only covers the bass ; you get nothing for damage to the case. 

• Thanks 1

You know come to think of it... .

I used to pay extra to insure my basses up to 2k and, sent in a hardcase.

Then, it was pointed out on here that, even though Parcel Force would take the insurance money, buried deep in their TnCs on page tiddly pom, sub section n bumpf 3.211 ALL musical instruments were excluded, even if you paid to insure them😀

Edited by iconic

9 hours ago, ambient said:

DPD?

Don't use Parcelforce, they don’t insure musical instruments.

As I know to my cost. By the time they’d finished “carefully transporting” my prose bass it looked like it had been machine-gunned 

The test of any courier is what happens when things go wrong. From what I’ve read on here you may as well take your pick and cross your fingers!

I use UPS as they’re the only courier offering insurance over £1K. They appear to be reliable enough - inevitably they sometimes route to the wrong hub, resulting in a day’s delay, but otherwise seem to be OK. DPD are my favourite as the tracking is much more real-time and you get 1hr delivery slots, but they don’t offer extended cover.

• Like 1

Basically, never send anything you can't afford to lose. Meet up for the really "precious" stuff.

I've always used Interparcel and Fed Ex as the subcontracter. I've successfully sent several basses this way.

The secret of success is in the packing. Can it survive being dropped from the back of a lorry and stood on by a 20st moron? Plan on protecting it from the staff and you'll be OK.

Edited by chris_b