Why become a member? ×

Custom Bass !

Gothicontheloose

I have to agree with lozbass. I had an Alembic Stanley Clarke and it was amazing, but the price !!!!!.

Sei basses take a lot of beating though, and are my favourite. I'm onto my 4th one now, the others were all bought used, but the one I have now was made for me. It's coming up to its 1st birthday next week and I really can't see me ever selling it. Its construction is 2nd to none and it plays and sounds great, if I fell out with something about it then I'd just ask Martin to change that something.

If you want someone to built you a bass from your ideas there are two ways to go.

You could find a luthier who says they'll build you exactly what you want what ever that may be. Great! but they may not have done all the things you want it that particular combination before and the the end result might not live up to your expectations.

A far better idea would be to find someone who's already building basses close to what you want, and have them make the modifications to that basic design that you require. There are so many custom bass makers out there and all accessible on the internet that someone somewhere will already be doing something close to your ideal. It's just a question of finding them.

Of those that I have experience with, I'd have to say [url="http://www.conklinguitars.com/"]Conklin[/url]. Beautifully made, exceptionally well playing, and fantastic sounding instrument. A bit on the expensive side though, probably a result of market demand.....

[quote name='BigRedX' post='456246' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:15 AM']If you want someone to built you a bass from your ideas there are two ways to go.

You could find a luthier who says they'll build you exactly what you want what ever that may be. Great! but they may not have done all the things you want it that particular combination before and the the end result might not live up to your expectations.

A far better idea would be to find someone who's already building basses close to what you want, and have them make the modifications to that basic design that you require. There are so many custom bass makers out there and all accessible on the internet that someone somewhere will already be doing something close to your ideal. It's just a question of finding them.[/quote]

+1 Be careful what you ask for, you'll probably get it. Assuming of course they are willing to modify their designs for you. I'm fairly sure Ken Smith and Ernie Ball wouldn't. Rob Green, Martin Peterson and Chris Celinder might depending on what is requested. John Diggins and Jon Shuker definitely will.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='456216' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:40 AM']I have to agree with lozbass. I had an Alembic Stanley Clarke and it was amazing, but the price !!!!!.

Sei basses take a lot of beating though, and are my favourite. I'm onto my 4th one now, the others were all bought used, but the one I have now was made for me. It's coming up to its 1st birthday next week and I really can't see me ever selling it. Its construction is 2nd to none and it plays and sounds great, if I fell out with something about it then I'd just ask Martin to change that something.[/quote]
OMG!!!! You don't say... I'm not even sure if I can believe that my eyes are seeing that price... it's it's .... o.O I mean CMON!!!!!! 18000 ti begin with, a simple custom inlay costs 6000 more...

Serieusly... I can't believe any bass would be worth like 30 - 40 thousand... (or even less) That really can't be taken serieusly...

[quote name='elros' post='456379' date='Apr 7 2009, 12:33 PM']Of those that I have experience with, I'd have to say [url="http://www.conklinguitars.com/"]Conklin[/url]. Beautifully made, exceptionally well playing, and fantastic sounding instrument. A bit on the expensive side though, probably a result of market demand.....[/quote]
Wauw... Those look... Well... They have more of an "impact" and "WOW" effect then any other bass guitar I ever saw... (except maybe Gene Simmons's base the first time I saw him when I was like 8 years old :) )
And if they sound even close as good to how they look... Well :rolleyes: Then I might consider buying one since the prices aren't THAT high... They are high all right.. But still affordable...

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='458000' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:10 AM']Well... They look great ... Really great... But the resonance must be like crap with some of them... :S[/quote]

Why would that be? They are all though neck and through strung, pretty much ideal for resonance, and the slotted headstock gives a steep break angle over the nut.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='458008' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:20 PM']Why would that be? They are all though neck and through strung, pretty much ideal for resonance, and the slotted headstock gives a steep break angle over the nut.[/quote]
Well since some of them barely have wood on 'em and exist of mostly holes -.- Which doesn't really do much good to the resonance now does it? ^^

I also have to agree with Loz (as I'm sure he would have expected). My 2 Alembics have been unbelievable. If it wasn't for weight/ergonomic concerns due to back problems I'd still have them both. I think the best Alembics are as good as it gets for me. But I also love Seis, and I have never dealt with another luthier I get on as well with as Martin (Chris May would be the closest, lovely bloke). The advantage of Seis is they are generally much easier on my back whilst still being beautiful (IMHO), superbly made, incredible sounding & playing instruments.