Why become a member? ×

Which strings do you use?

thumbo

i've got super slinkys on the bongo,
fender flats on the cort fretless,
currently d'addario xl's on the roscoe, going to try some black beauties tho

the fender flats are nice and thumpy, gives the fretless has a nice (nearly) uprighty sound

[quote name='paul, the' post='11057' date='Jun 2 2007, 03:24 PM']Oh, quick question for anyone:
What's the lower limit on importing outside the EU?
A set of strings costing £29 (that's with postage) from America, would they charge duty/customs/whatever?
Cheers,

Paul.[/quote]

Have a look [url="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document"]here[/url] for more details.

No Customs Duty if its less than £7, but you do have to pay Import VAT @ 17.5% if the value of the item is more than £18 - and that includes second hand stuff as well.

So a £20 declared value package will cost you £3.50 VAT. What is worse is the sting from the dear old Post Office / Parcelforce for paying the VAT on your behalf. That's £13.50 for Express Parcels & £8.00 for other parcels. So your £20 exchange rate bargain from the US could suddenly have cost you £37.00 if it was expressed.

Now you know why everyone fills in those Custom declaration slips as "Gift" or values the item at $2. Trouble with that is Customs can check items & if it is clearly not a gift, or has been undervalued, can confiscate the item. :)

Anyway - Strings - Elixir Nanoweb's are the dogs knackers IMO. Shame I couldn't find [i]ANYONE [/i]selling them at the Guitar Show this year. I picked up something supposed to be similar to try out from the MarkBass stand (can't remember what now as they are on & the box has gone) but they do not seem as good.

And Nate all I can say to you re [quote name='Nate']Fortunately I have a deal with Elixir...[/quote] is "[i][color="#2E8B57"]You lucky lucky b@st@rd!!![/color][/i]" mind you well deserved looking at the YouTube clip

• 2 weeks later...

DR Black Beauties on the Roscoe, Lakland, Fender and Ken Smith.

DR Sunbeams on the Ric4003 and the Status

SIT's on the Dean 12 String - the first ready made sets for a 12 string bass that I found and they do the job great.

Warwick Black label on the two Warwicks, an FNA five string and a Fortress One four string.

I used d'Addario for years and tried out the DRs on a whim - I was so impressed with them that the d'Addario's went out the window completely and i decided to try out warwick's own on my two warwicks. Got to be honest and say that i don't like them too much. On the FNA, in particular, the string tension they appear to have actualy gives you joint pain in your picking fingers. I'll shift both Warwicks onto DR Black Beauties very very shortly.

I'm using Sunbeams on the Ric (and I should really use them on the CIJ '51 Precision too) because they've very easy going re: fretwear and the Ric and the '51 have lacquered fretboards which makes refrets just that little bit harder, more time consuming (and more expensive) to do. Makes sense to me, therefore, to use a string that helps put that process off as long as possible. The Sunbeams also just sound brilliant on my Status semi-acoustic, warm and round and beefy through the piezo pickup.

[quote name='Nate' post='40139' date='Aug 1 2007, 06:45 PM']Fortunately I have a deal with Elixir...
YEY![/quote]

Well deserved indeed. I was talking to Alun about his deal also with Elixir and he said it was a mixed blessing because the strings last so long!

Cheers
ped

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Newtone. Sibob had some on his USA Jazz at the SE Bash last week and they were fantastic...

Here's the site if anyone's interested

[url="http://www.newtonestrings.com"]http://www.newtonestrings.com[/url]

They can almost 'tailor-make' your strings for you and at very reasonable prices too. I'm just about to order some, so I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Nik

• 2 years later...

just found this thread researching strings, i usually use ghs boomers but want a brand i can just walk into a shop and pick up. i actually live in the same town as newtone strings, and a couple of years ago was offered an endorsement. figured they didnt feel as good as the ghs so turned them down.

after going ghs, elites, slinkys (the only set of strings i've taken off within 5 minutes), rotosound and then newtone, i can say the newtone sound ace! problem being - the E string snapped at sound check at the last gig, probably about the 15th time i'd played them! only on for about 6 weeks and the e breaks! WTF! saying that, they were favourite up to that point, so if you can afford to replace often, go for it!

Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Stainless Steel, Heavy Gauge 50 - 110.

Once over the initial brightness when they`re new, I`ve found these are the best for me. Tried many others, have now got to the point where its only Roto Heavies that will do.

Used Hi Beams for 15 years or so... but since I have changed basses and have a different peg config, 4-1 rather than 3-2, I need a few new sets.

I have La Bell Super Steps, DR long neck and Daddarios XL pro to go through.

As I am a big advocate of cleaning strings, then I will prefer sets that have no silk/cotton winds on them as the meths ruins this anyway.