Why become a member? ×

Courier who covers basses?

Pea Turgh

I’ve used Direct Courier Solutions and they have confirmed in writing that they insure instruments, but with any courier, close attention to packing is necessary.

I pack everything like I am expecting it to be thrown out of a second floor window. 

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Was there a firm Basschat recommended before?

There was a small discount, I'm not sure it was a recommendation. They were absolute turds to me when DPD lost a bass I sent for over a month.

APC insure musical instruments but it's pot luck which of their branches will take something the length of a bass in a hard case plus packaging. Some depots do, some don't. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

They appear to be a 3rd party jobby - nothing specific about instrument insurance.  Parcelforce appear in there, and their t&cs say instruments not covered.

Was there a firm Basschat recommended before?  My search skills are lacking.

I have nothing to do with Overland Exp but what I will say is the one time I had a problem (and I shipped quite a lot with them) you can actually speak to them and they will go out of their way to sort out any issue, as they did on this one occasion. (It wasnt the couriers fault, it was the shop`s). Having said that, I never needed to use their insurance but I would imagine the service level would be the same.

Give them a bell and a real human will keep you right re their cover.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 1

Just set up a Secursus account, Article 6.2 (exclusions) of the Shipping Insurance Conditions is a bit of a bummer though, 

"ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED." (Their caps not mine).

Pity as they seemed quite relaxed on the usual "guitar must be packed in a hard case" thing.

Edited by howdenspur
Clarification
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

They appear to be a 3rd party jobby - nothing specific about instrument insurance.  Parcelforce appear in there, and their t&cs say instruments not covered.

Was there a firm Basschat recommended before?  My search skills are lacking.

I spoke to them today. They (Overland Express) said they insure the parcel, Parcel Force are just the carrier. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having a really bad experience with Parcel Force, which is not quite over yet. I sold an amp and a bass just before year end. I sent one on the 30th and one on the 31st of December, both by Parcel Force Express 48 drop at Post Office. I knew they would not start moving until after the bank holiday but by the 5th they were still showing as collected and nothing more. I raised a case with them (not easy: hours online trying to get to chat with an agent). They did find them within 24 hours and they started to move. In the meantime one of my buyers had also started an enquiry and was told by Parcel Force that the parcel had not been dropped off yet and that he should contact the sender. This despite their own tracker showing it as “collected”. They had clearly been forgotten in my local depot. I don’t know what would have happened to them if I hadn’t kicked up a fuss: I even went to the Post Offices I dropped them at to get photos of their handover dockets. The parcels have now made their way to the buyers’ local depots but have not been delivered yet, despite expected delivery showing  as the 6th on their tracker. I am just hoping they will be delivered tomorrow intact and not as a pile of pieces!

I learnt a lot about Parcel Force, during this process,  from the Post Office people I talked to. A lot of parcels go missing in their experience. Virtually none of them seem to be delivered on time. Parcel Force collections from nominated POs are very unreliable. One PO had an Express 24 package that wasn’t collected for 9 days! Now I appreciate that this might not apply to Parcel Force across the board but if you are in North Norfolk, I would recommend you avoid Parcel Force. I certainly won’t be using them again. I now need to try to get a refund out of them for delayed delivery and I hope I won’t be trying to get compensation for damaged goods!

Update for the sake of fairness: the packages were eventually delivered on the 10th of January, so way outside the contracted time. Fortunately, both the amp and the bass were undamaged. 

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently bought both a gigbag and a bass on here, both sent with Parcelforce to make the delivery. I work for The Post Office.

The bass apparently couldn’t be delivered as there were more than one Post Office in the area. True I said, but only one at the address the sender had put on the item so please deliver it there. Ah yes, ok then.

The gigbag was delivered to Royal Mail, clearly not the name of the company I work for, and not at the address on the package. It took a further week of dealing with Parcelforce before I got it.

Both items had the full postal address on the labels. 

So I suppose my verdict is, avoid Parcelforce. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2