Why become a member? ×

Why did Fender make white neck position dots fade in low light?

Cariboobass4

I need some help here Bass Gurus. I have a Player series fretless jazz bass, white with a maple neck and a pauferro ( spell check on that ) finger board. 
The lines on the finger board are white and easily seen, the white dot position markers on the side of the neck are not. 
In low light the side dots just disappear. Would any of you know how to make the dots more visible? 
Would painting them black be better or another dark colour for the contrast? 
light reflecting paint? 
I have asked this question before on another forum and no one seemed to have an idea that appealed to me. Stickers will not even be talked about. 
Thanks, please let me know. 

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Does... does this mean Leo didn't get it right, first time?

Wow. I don't want to be the one to break this on TB 🥺

You’ve broken the rule 😆 but I have to say the side dots are always too small as on my Fender Roscoe Beck, they appear to disappear on stage, hence when I build basses, it’s 3mm black dots on the maple neck wood

image.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Does... does this mean Leo didn't get it right, first time?

Wow. I don't want to be the one to break this on TB 🥺

Are you accusing the saintly Leo of using cheap mid brown wood as a substitute for nice dark rosewood?

16357846999134834180107831302715-01.jpeg.2676ef4a5d54dfb747340de428584f40.jpeg

Small specks of lemon Hubba Bubba could be a delicious solution

I do not understand why any one gets upset when we want to change anything on our Fenders. Saying that we feel Leo got it wrong by doing our changes is Nuts. 
Leo Fender was a Genius!  No doubt at all. 

He is also the one who changed his Guitars the most from his original designs with both Musicman and G&L. His autobiography tells us he worked on improving his instruments right to the day before he went to be with the Lord. The thing that stands out for me is Mr Fender wanted us to make his guitars are own in both form and function. 
I don’t know why people on T.B get their knickers in a knot about this either. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cariboobass4 said:

I do not understand why any one gets upset when we want to change anything on our Fenders. Saying that we feel Leo got it wrong by doing our changes is Nuts. 
Leo Fender was a Genius!  No doubt at all. 

He is also the one who changed his Guitars the most from his original designs with both Musicman and G&L. His autobiography tells us he worked on improving his instruments right to the day before he went to be with the Lord. The thing that stands out for me is Mr Fender wanted us to make his guitars are own in both form and function. 
I don’t know why people on T.B get their knickers in a knot about this either. 

He went to be with Lemmy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/11/2021 at 11:08, mybass said:

You’ve broken the rule 😆 but I have to say the side dots are always too small as on my Fender Roscoe Beck, they appear to disappear on stage, hence when I build basses, it’s 3mm black dots on the maple neck wood

image.jpg

If other builders did it like you, I would not have the strong preference I have for maple fingerboards. I find dark dots on a pale background a lot easier to see on stage when I need it.

Excellent solution, it looks great and it's very functional. 

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

If other builders did it like you, I would not have the strong preference I have for maple fingerboards. I find dark dots on a pale background a lot easier to see on stage when I need it.

Excellent solution, it looks great and it's very functional. 

…….and with a fretless the dots are large enough to help intonation placement of wandering fingers! Cheers.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue on a fretless. Although I wanted the lines more pronounced rather than the dots. I tried two things which are both reveresable, water slide transfers and vinyl. The water slides worked OK but were very fragile and a bit of a bugger to apply . I've had the vinyl on for a few weeks and it seems nore robust. They are both a less than a tenner off Ebay. I had the lines but I'm sure there will be dots out there somewhere for model makers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153990019923

Edit, sorry just saw your not interested in stickers...

IMG_20211105_193301.jpg

Edited by Hacksawbob