Why become a member? ×

1971 Precision pickup rewind

Sibob

So upsettingly, the original pickup in my ‘71 Precision has given up the ghost and, it seems, will require a repair/rewind.

I know next to nothing about pickups, so wanted to garner some opinions on who might be the best person/company in the UK who could take it on, hopefully retaining the ‘vintage’ness’ of the pickup haha.

Thoughts?

Si

It's a while since I've been involved with pickups, but I do remember that the most common fault with those is a broken wire at the output. There are two output wires (obviously) - one is taken from the inside of the coil and the other from the outside. If the outside one is broken (it's not too difficult to check visually), it can be fixed without having to rewind the pickup: you just unwind one turn and re-solder. I've done it lots of times. Soldering those very thin wires takes a bit of practice, but it's not hard.

If the break is at the beginning or inside of the coil, you will need a rewind. It might be worth inspecting the pickup before you send it off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pickup came back from Aaron on Thursday last week, but I only had a chance to refit it last night!

It needed one side of it rewinding, but it’s now reunited with the bass!

sounds as wonderful as it did before, can’t wait to gig it again!

9A42F3A1-9D4E-4888-83EB-C03DAE617ED7.thumb.jpeg.e32cd44eb741687f06dcfcb689fee5b0.jpeg

Si

• Like 8

Check out Creamery pickups (in Manchester I think). He does various jazz and precision winds, I got a 70s P from him and it's awesome, plus a pair of jazz custom made to my specs. He's v helpful, I'm sure he'll rewind your p pickup to your specs. Can't recommend highly enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

Check out Creamery pickups (in Manchester I think). He does various jazz and precision winds, I got a 70s P from him and it's awesome, plus a pair of jazz custom made to my specs. He's v helpful, I'm sure he'll rewind your p pickup to your specs. Can't recommend highly enough. 

Thanks, already sorted though, see above 🙂

Si