Why become a member? ×

Life's A Beech

Happy Jack

I have absolutely no idea where this topic should go so I'll just chuck it into General Discussion and see where it gets moved to ...

I keep my bees in a lovely beech forest near High Wycombe. The canopy is so dense that for the whole year (excluding Winter) very little sunshine penetrates and the bees have been suffering.

After five years I have finally decided to something about it. What have I decided? This:

Those four trees total roughly 12 tons of timber, nearly half of it in that last tree alone. 

I have no problem with leaving those trunks to slowly rot over the next 20 years, providing a variety of habitats for wildlife and looking awfully picturesque, but there is a short-term opportunity here.

If there's a Basschatter with a chainsaw and a pickup who could make use (profitable or otherwise) of some of that lumber, get in touch with me.

As I understand it, beech is hardly ever used for luthiery (weight? grain? anyone know?) but obviously it is very widely used in furniture manufacture. The woods throughout the Chilterns were planted with beech largely to support the British furniture industry when it was based in High Wycombe. That in turn led to people like Ian Waller and Pete Stevens setting up Electric Wood in High Wycombe. 

So there you are - this post is actually bass-related after all ...

17 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

As I understand it, beech is hardly ever used for luthiery (weight? grain? anyone know?) but obviously it is very widely used in furniture manufacture. The woods throughout the Chilterns were planted with beech largely to support the British furniture industry when it was based in High Wycombe. That in turn led to people like Ian Waller and Pete Stevens setting up Electric Wood in High Wycombe. 

So there you are - this post is actually bass-related after all ...

Beech can provide great facings, for example on this Wal I had made many moons ago.

image.png.47a48d830c286ac09daf7388465f7176.png

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 7