Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='Bilbo' post='821963' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:40 PM']Just to save you all a lot of money and time: Bilbo's patented universal bass player interview:

'I started playing the bass at aged (*insert age here), after my (brother/sister/father/mother * delete as appropriate)) bought a bass and left it lying around. I picked it up and immedaitely began playing lines from the songs I was hearing on the radio, songs by (The Beatles, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Motown artists, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses) * delete as appropriate). I was hooked. I had decided that this was what I wanted to do with my life. I joined a local band and after (insert number here) gigs, I got the chance to play with (* insert random artist here). It was as a result of that opportunity that I got the (* insert another random artist here) gig and became the player you hear today.

I prefer (*insert bass manufacturer ere) basses but I have my basses modified by (*insert random luthier here) to my specification. I prefer (*insert random pick up) pick-ups and a (*insert manufacturer) here but I have to stress that the sound is in your hands and not in the mechanics of the bass. Amps-wise, I prefer (*insert random manufacturer here) because of their (warmth/clarity/general awesomeness * delete as appropriate)

Whilst recording the (*insert randon cd title) CD, I went direct into the desk and simultaneously miked the speaker up with a (*insert random microphone manufacturer here) microphone. I used a little compression and a touch of reverb but otherwise the signal is clean. I don’t like cluttering up my bass sound with unecessary bells and whistles. I like it pure.

Influences include (* insert a list of random artists here). It is difficult to explain where the feel comes from. If you need to have it explained, you’ll never understand it. My advice to people starting on the bass? Practice, practice, practice.'

Now, start saving the money you no longer need to spend on magazines and study music. Not musicians, not gear, not the music business. Music - scales, chords, melody, harmony, rhythm. Everything else is entirely interchangeable.[/quote]

I hope all my articles aren't that predictable... I know what you mean though

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='Bilbo' post='822021' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:13 PM']After reading these magazines for 20 years, I started to see a pattern developing :rolleyes:[/quote]

See if you were a blues player a pattern would have been obvious after about 2 years.
I guess that's the Jazz Mind in action :)

The latest edition did not drop through my door today, but the reminder that my subscription was due did. A bit disappointed that I wasn't reminded a couple of weeks back so as to get this month's on time. Oh well.

[quote name='OldGit' post='822067' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:57 PM']See if you were a blues player a pattern would have been obvious after about 2 years.
I guess that's the Jazz Mind in action :)[/quote]

I just choked. :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyhooo, I think this month's edition is a belter. The Gail Ann Dorsey interview is excellent, and I'm really looking forward to reading some of the other features too.

I do agree to an extent about the mag being very pro-orientated. Not all bass players are pros, or even gig regularly, if at all!

I've said this before, but look at BIKE magazine. They get a selection of real world riders together every month or so from their readership, pop them on whatever group of bikes are being reviewed/tested, and get their opinions written up by the professional journos during a good blast. For gear reviews and comparisons in BGM, that sort of approach would be much more relevant and useful to us "ordinary" bass players.

I bought the issue with Anthony Jackson on the cover last week & it really is terribly dull.

That Warwick TM Stevens bass with the sh*t-awful graphic has got to be the tackiest thing I've ever seen. And the price!!! :)

I do like the look of that EBS combo though...............

[quote name='RhysP' post='822214' date='Apr 28 2010, 05:21 PM']I bought the issue with Anthony Jackson on the cover last week & it really is terribly dull.

That Warwick TM Stevens bass with the sh*t-awful graphic has got to be the tackiest thing I've ever seen. And the price!!! :)

I do like the look of that EBS combo though...............[/quote]

I think there has been an improvement over the last 18 months (got some back issues at a car boot) Really getting a bit better over time. The only thing i really object to is interviews with kids you've never heard of who have wormed their way into a Berkley scholarship. I mean, who cares! Also would be nice to see reviews on some cheap basses for once. We cant all afford Warwicks, or Mesa Engineering Big block Titan V12' amps.

Edited by daz

Agreed - it is much better. Before, there were so many typing errors, poor grammar and so on that it was hard to read. Hopefully they will start to interview some less obscure bassists and make the mag a touch more interesting. It's always great to read about new people, but I would appreciate an in-depth interview with someone whose playing I am familiar with or at least find accessible!

"Desperate to get this months as the cousin of my Wood & Tronics Ergon is in it... I know it got 4/5 (ha ha of course) but I'm still interested in what they said about it. "

The review's is a bit ambivalent, talks about a "few glaring omissions" in one breath then proceeds to say " these minor gripes aside" (both in reference to the same issues!). Don't know if the sub editor got at it?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='822356' date='Apr 28 2010, 07:39 PM']"Desperate to get this months as the cousin of my Wood & Tronics Ergon is in it... I know it got 4/5 (ha ha of course) but I'm still interested in what they said about it. "

The review's is a bit ambivalent, talks about a "few glaring omissions" in one breath then proceeds to say " these minor gripes aside" (both in reference to the same issues!). Don't know if the sub editor got at it?[/quote]

Yeah It's a bit luke warm .. Shame as that's a really nice bass. But then I'm biased and I've already come to terms with the odd shape of the W&T's :)
I agree the basses should have a seperate battery cover. Not fussed about a hard case though. The gig bag is great and stylish. Seemed like they were looking for something - anything, almost - to dock that last star.

Oh well. get round to BassDirect and try it yourself :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

• 1 month later...

Really enjoying the new issue and urb's (Mike Flynn) interview with Mike Mondesir is really interesting, sounds like my kind of bassist.

In terms of quality, the proofing seems to be a lot better these days, the writing is much better too. It feels like there is more varied content and as I said in a separate thread, I love Alex Claber's new column :)

The only issue for me really is the product reviews read in a stilted and boring way. They don't really ever convey any passion and I doubt they would help me much in choosing a product. The rating system is pointless as all instruments are going to be around the same rating. I think a new fresh approach is needed, although I'm not sure what yet.

Still, the way the mag is going I will, without doubt, be renewing my subscription. I think the quality and professionalism has improved hugely since this thread was started over a year ago.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='871594' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:56 AM']Still, the way the mag is going I will, without doubt, be renewing my subscription. I think the quality and professionalism has improved hugely since this thread was started over a year ago.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='silddx' post='871632' date='Jun 19 2010, 12:08 PM']I really enjoyed your interview with the guy from Manfred Man in Guitar & Bass.[/quote]
That'll be Michael Rogers.
IMO Guitar & Bass have really scraped the barrel with that interview. Apparently, on stage, he is completely overshadowed by the bass player of the band (whose name escapes me) and far more worthy of an interview.
And, if you're reading this Mickeyboro, I'm available a week next Tuesday. :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='872303' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:51 PM']That'll be Michael Rogers.
IMO Guitar & Bass have really scraped the barrel with that interview. Apparently, on stage, he is completely overshadowed by the bass player of the band (whose name escapes me) and far more worthy of an interview.
And, if you're reading this Mickeyboro, I'm available a week next Tuesday. :rolleyes:[/quote]
:)