Why become a member? ×

Status out of fashion again ?

Marcus

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='451375' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:28 PM']Mark King put me off playing bass for years.[/quote]

He put me off slap playing forever.

He did , however , raise the profile of bass playing so hats off to the dude.

I'm pretty amazed at the length of this thread.
If you think a headless Status looks duff - don't f***ing get one. I wouldn't buy a Jaydee or a Warwick for that reason - where's the problem?

Look in my rack and you'll find a well mojoed 73 Fender alongside a headless graphite necked Status. I couldn't care less if anyone thinks that's odd , and care even less than less if they're trendy or not. They both do me a job of work - end of.

If the rest of the world wants to care about trendiness in instruments and it means I can pick up my Status for the silly amount of cash that I did - bonus.

MB1. :)
Indeed!...Please feel free to contact me with your Unfashionable! Status,Alembic,and Jaydee Basses,i'll be more than happy to collect them from you....For the mere price of the petrol to your door! :rolleyes:
Dont be Unfashionable!...P.M me Today!
Collections U.K only!

[quote name='MB1' post='451509' date='Apr 1 2009, 02:13 PM']MB1. :)
Indeed!...Please feel free to contact me with your Unfashionable! Status,Alembic,and Jaydee Basses,i'll be more than happy to collect them from you....For the mere price of the petrol to your door! :rolleyes:
Dont be Unfashionable!...P.M me Today!
Collections U.K only![/quote]
Or if you're East of the Pennines, I'll be MB1's Yorkshire franchisee in his new disposal venture. :D

[quote name='hubrad' post='451515' date='Apr 1 2009, 02:19 PM']Or if you're East of the Pennines, I'll be MB1's Yorkshire franchisee in his new disposal venture. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Bagsi I get the South Western chapter :)

[quote name='Musky' post='450331' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:34 AM']It's all a matter of taste though, isn't it. I'm not a fan of headless basses or figured tops,[/quote]
Heh heh! You'll [u]hate[/u] my rebuild then! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673[/url]

[quote name='hubrad' post='451525' date='Apr 1 2009, 02:23 PM']Heh heh! You'll [u]hate[/u] my rebuild then! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673[/url][/quote]

That poor Roadster! What did it ever do to you? :rolleyes:

[quote name='geilerbass' post='450971' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:15 PM']I'll never get why Precisions are so popular. In my humble opinion, they sound terrible, feel terrible to play, are too heavy and look horrendous. But fashion and I really do not get on well together...[/quote]

im with you ,even if Fender sound ok , Fenders are so BIG , Heavy , look so antique for 21 century !! i do not want one LOL
other basses sound ok too , and looks more small , nice , present..etc

[url="http://www.MakeMusicNews.com"]www.MakeMusicNews.com[/url]

[quote name='rogerio_paulo67' post='452614' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:59 PM']im with you ,even if Fender sound ok , Fenders are so BIG , Heavy , look so antique for 21 century !! i do not want one LOL
other basses sound ok too , and looks more small , nice , present..etc

[url="http://www.MakeMusicNews.com"]www.MakeMusicNews.com[/url][/quote]

There is nothing modern looking about a Status though!

During the mid to late 80's in became fashionable to make things look "futuristic" - that's what you get with a Status. Much like any headless bass. They look 80's.

Currently in fashion is a more vintage look. I'm not saying this is the way it should be, but it is reality. Look at "fashionable" bands today - they are playing vintage looking gear.

Before all you Status owners pipe up - I'm not knocking them! I'm sure they are genuinely great instruments. I get the impression that OutToPlayJazz genuiinley knows his onions when it comes to bass, and he swears by them.

Also, we all know being "cool" isn't cool, so there is nowt wrong with playing or owning a status. The above is just a comment about trends in instruments.

I'm still dressed by my mum, so I can hardly claim to be an authority on fashion (although it has been argued that with charm like mine, I could wear a hessian sack and still pull the birds).

Nice post, BBC :) Yes, you're absolutely right - Fashion is one thing and quality/playability is quite another. For me personally, yes I do swear by the things, but then again I've been playing them for 20 years, so I know them inside out.

As for fashion, I don't think the look of a bass is important at all - There are fashions in sound, though. I've just agreed to buy one of the new mudbucker equipped Billy Sheehan BB714BS Yamahas for the reason that I've been asked a couple of times on sessions to come up with a modern "dub" bass sound. That seems to be one fashion at the moment in terms of sound. Personally I hate that sound, but if people are paying me to create it, then so be it, musical prostitute that I am!

Upon reflection, I don't think that Status is 'out of fashion' at all. More and more people are moving onto Status basses & the company's order book is bursting, currently with a fourteen week minimum wait on orders. You'll always get people swapping and changing & of course, as some people won't like a Status they've bought. Not everyone likes the same gear. But we are going see a few high end basses for sale at the moment, what with more and more jobs going down the pan & money harder to come by.

I just sold two - One due to the fact that I wasn't playing it (basses need to earn me money or they leave my employ rapidly!), and another because I've bought a newer, higher spec model.

Rich.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='452619' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:06 PM']There is nothing modern looking about a Status though!
During the mid to late 80's in became fashionable to make things look "futuristic" - that's what you get with a Status. Much like any headless bass. They look 80's.[/quote]

What about the non-headless versions, eg, T-Bass or The Headed S2 ? Although, I'll grant you the full carbon look on the Stealth is a bit half and half, it's modern...but has a twinge of 80's looks due to the full carbon.

[quote name='Buzz' post='452924' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:04 AM']What about the non-headless versions, eg, T-Bass or The Headed S2 ? Although, I'll grant you the full carbon look on the Stealth is a bit half and half, it's modern...but has a twinge of 80's looks due to the full carbon.[/quote]

I think the T-Bass and Vintage range have a retro appeal to them, but mostly because they are an updated take on classic instruments. The Headed S2 still looks a bit naff to me (notice I said "to me"!).

I think sticking LEDs in the things doesn't help - although I can kinda see the perverse pleasure in making your bass glow, its never been cool since Tron.

[quote name='hybass' post='453065' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:38 AM']Sorry if I was misunderstood or if my message was misunderstood

but the fact is that Status is currently selling very well in Europe[/quote]

Don't worry about the Big Beef Chief - it's just his sense of humour. You'll get used to it! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='453079' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:47 AM']Haha! So we're all tragically uncool, then?

Thought so![/quote]

Sitting at home learning to play an instrument, by definition, makes us all uncool. We should be leaning up against a 1950's US Muscle car smoking Marlbroughs.