Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision Affinity new model 2021 - Sound Test

dave84

Hi guys, this is the complete sound test of the new Squier Precision Affinity model 2021 born from the total restyling made by Squier for its affinity series.

The sound test of the instrument was performed with its factory strings and without the use of effects or equalization.

Recording was done using a Tascam Pocketstudio DP-006 digital recorder

https://youtu.be/ePVtDtfrrxM

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, pst62 said:

It sounds like the Affinity is now of the quality that their Standard PJ was 15 years ago.

The impression it gave me is that on a qualitative level this new model is much more similar to a vintage modified than the model of the old series.

11 minutes ago, dave84 said:

The impression it gave me is that on a qualitative level this new model is much more similar to a vintage modified than the model of the old series.

Even better then Dave, because I've had both in the past, and the VM was better than the Standard PJ, having said that, the standard wasn't a bad bass at all, I just didn't like the J pup. 

4 minutes ago, lownote said:

The quality of lower end price bracket basses now is astonishing.  Sire, Squier... all offering very useable instruments for really not that much money.  Kudos.

I absolutely agree with you. Until a few years ago, low-end instruments were most of the time poor instruments, but today this is no longer the case and with a small expense you can get respectable bass!

2 minutes ago, lownote said:

The quality of lower end price bracket basses now is astonishing.  Sire, Squier... all offering very useable instruments for really not that much money.  Kudos.

Back in 1983 JV Precision's were classed as lower end basses, I bought mine brand new for £240 inc case. Oh how I wish I'd kept it! 

2 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Back in 1983 JV Precision's were classed as lower end basses, I bought mine brand new for £240 inc case. Oh how I wish I'd kept it! 

Yus but £240 in 1983 is £828 today according to the Bank of England. A bass you buy now for £240 is already pretty good.  Add a KiOgon loom for £30 and you're having a giraffe.  My Revelation fretless P bass is all I need now - less than £200 new and didn't need fettling.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, theyellowcar said:

I have had my eye on exactly that model since they were announced, entirely out of vanity as I already have two Fender P/J’s, but the white/black/maple combo at that price point is extremely alluring. Great sound test, thanks for posting. 

In this regard, I already anticipate that I will publish on my youtube channel a sound comparison between this squier and my fender precision american performer! 😜

• Like 2

Single P and in Tobacco burst if ya need to cover up some basswood... plain n simples,

Too many sunbursts have too much gairish yellow and red...

Rosewood or equivalent fretboard, Inbetween 40mm Nut n slim neck... 'n single ply black guard...

Ta...

Edited by PaulThePlug

On 01/08/2021 at 14:31, dave84 said:

Hi guys, this is the complete sound test of the new Squier Precision Affinity model 2021 born from the total restyling made by Squier for its affinity series.

The sound test of the instrument was performed with its factory strings and without the use of effects or equalization.

Recording was done using a Tascam Pocketstudio DP-006 digital recorder

https://youtu.be/ePVtDtfrrxM

That sounds great, thanks for doing that. Wouldn’t mind trying one of these of myself now 

Really toying with the idea of one of these, infact the very same…I’ve got a real hankering for a white bass with a maple board & the voice in the back of my head keeps telling me “I need a P-Bass” 😄😄

Thanks for a great sound review.

Now I have to work on my white bass GAS, I’m considering 

Squier P bass (as featured)

Sire Jazz

Fender Mex Jazz

Sadowsky Metroline

On 03/08/2021 at 16:11, Bassman68 said:

Really toying with the idea of one of these, infact the very same…I’ve got a real hankering for a white bass with a maple board & the voice in the back of my head keeps telling me “I need a P-Bass” 😄😄

Thanks for a great sound review.

Now I have to work on my white bass GAS, I’m considering 

Squier P bass (as featured)

Sire Jazz

Fender Mex Jazz

Sadowsky Metroline

Go for the Sire jazz 

Specifically MY Sire jazz 😃 

• Haha 1

On 05/08/2021 at 21:01, Lozz196 said:

Pretty sure one of these -but in black - is gonna head my way as a backup bass. 

Too difficult to resist, although out of stock they were £207 at GAK. Am in no rush so that`ll do nicely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

General consensus on these still good? I have a J neck lying around at home and a bridge but might be cheaper to get a Squier than a build.

I have seen some videos where the tuning peg holes didn’t line up properly with the headstock.

I would guess some essential mods or upgrades would be necessary?

e.g. better bridge, pickups etc?

Are the necks J necks or P necks ?

Edited by barrycreed