Why become a member? ×

Shuker 4 string bolt on Elite. The 'Lady T'

Tinman

Hey guys,
great to see your bass coming along Pete, not long now!

With regards to folks' experiences of working with Jon, I think his intentions are great, but with his work load and basic inexperience of the internet and e-mail his "customer service" falls behind a little.
My bass was actually delivered in time, but I had a similar experience as everyone else with regards to communication by email and pictures being promised and not appearing.

That said, at least his email responses are consistent, it's certainly not because he's avoiding getting in touch due to being behind schedule, I've had about 50% of my communication go unanswered even when it's been for possible further work for Jon!

I think the best way to deal is on the phone or even better in person, which can probably be said for most luthiers I would imagine.

Even with the frustrations of the wait and sketchy communication, I'd do it again in a second, and intend to head back along the custom route as soon as I can afford it!

Just my 2p... :)
Cheers,
Eude

As far as I'm concerned, I'm prepared to put up with less than perfection in terms of answering e-mails, sending pics, etc, to get the quality of instrument Jon produces. His prices are also extremely reasonable compared to others I have seen. If he increases his costs just to improve customer service, and reflects this in his prices, I would not be happy.

Jon is a craftsman, not a secretary!

I get your point, certainly, but still I think for anyone laying down the money for a custom - as reasonable as his prices are - deserve excellent customer service to go hand in hand with the superb product you are paying big money for. I would hope so, at least.

Regards

Mike

Really Jon should set expectations better. That's the main problem here
Had he said "It will be (whatever he said x 2)months and I'm crap on email so phone me, OK?" Then we all be ecstatically happy with exactly the same build times and email response.

MikeB has summed it up.
Jon is not good on email or taking and sending pictures. Some people seem to excel at that end of things, AND make great bases but - at these prices? I don't think you can have it all.

I also don't think he could emply some cheap labour to do the admin, take teh pictures and reply to emails either - whoever it was would have to ask Jon for the answers anyway.

It's frustrating if you are doing it all without any personal contact. However, I would echo that the end result is well worth this tiny little aggravating part of the relationship and 5 minutes after you strap it on all will be forgotten.

I think this forum and others have driven demand for his services up this year, possibly to the point where he will have to start quoting higher prices and longer build times to control the demand. Be thankful you got in now.

During my first Shuker build I waited 3 extra months because the pickup maker was having problems making the 3+2 precision pickup work well enough to meet Jon's very high standards. I was tearing my hair out but that extra three months is a mere drop in the muddy puddle of life compared to the 20+ years I intend to play this bass for.

Keep the faith and thank gawd you havn't ordered a WAL ...
OG

I have one of my basses down with Jon at the moment for some work.

After all the talk about the Jon on this forum, I thought I would contact him when my need for this particular job arose. I'm extremely picky about choosing who to do work for me since I moved out of London. Before I moved Chris at The Bass Centre did any work that I needed, his work was always top-notch and a great guy to deal with.

Since in Glasgow, I haven't been instilled with great confidence by any of the techs I've seen. Also, the prices, even for a simple set-up are astronomical, so I learnt how to do all my set-ups and basic electronics stuff at home. This job though, was too complicated for me as I needed a de-fret and a ramp.

I e-mailed Jon and his replies have been timely and informative and the price for the work is extremely reasonable. I've only spoken to him once on the 'phone and he's been polite and good-natured. I'm now waiting for pics and info that the work is finished. I even said to him, that if he's really busy then I don't mind waiting a bit because I'm not in a great hurry. So far, I've no complaints at all.

When a luthier, or any business for that matter, becomes more successful and gets more work then something will suffer as they concentrate on the important stuff (building) rather than the non-essential stuff (e-mails). It would be nice to have pictures and e-mails on time, but we all have to understand that we'd much rather that they were building stuff than sitting answering letters and taking pics. As OldGit has said, even if you do have to wait, bear in mind that you're going to be enjoying your bass for many, many years to come so a small wait now is a small price to pay.

[b][i]Bottom line: Trust your luthier and let them get on with the job you've entrusted them to do. If something really needs your attention they'll call you.[/i] [/b]

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='73769' date='Oct 13 2007, 02:07 PM']I have one of my basses down with Jon at the moment for some work.

After all the talk about the Jon on this forum, I thought I would contact him when my need for this particular job arose. I'm extremely picky about choosing who to do work for me since I moved out of London. Before I moved Chris at The Bass Centre did any work that I needed, his work was always top-notch and a great guy to deal with.

Since in Glasgow, I haven't been instilled with great confidence by any of the techs I've seen. Also, the prices, even for a simple set-up are astronomical, so I learnt how to do all my set-ups and basic electronics stuff at home. This job though, was too complicated for me as I needed a de-fret and a ramp.

I e-mailed Jon and his replies have been timely and informative and the price for the work is extremely reasonable. I've only spoken to him once on the 'phone and he's been polite and good-natured. I'm now waiting for pics and info that the work is finished. I even said to him, that if he's really busy then I don't mind waiting a bit because I'm not in a great hurry. So far, I've no complaints at all.

When a luthier, or any business for that matter, becomes more successful and gets more work then something will suffer as they concentrate on the important stuff (building) rather than the non-essential stuff (e-mails). It would be nice to have pictures and e-mails on time, but we all have to understand that we'd much rather that they were building stuff than sitting answering letters and taking pics. As OldGit has said, even if you do have to wait, bear in mind that you're going to be enjoying your bass for many, many years to come so a small wait now is a small price to pay.

[b][i]Bottom line: Trust your luthier and let them get on with the job you've entrusted them to do. If something really needs your attention they'll call you.[/i] [/b][/quote]

well said Mark.

Pete can't wait to see that buckeye all buffed up!

I've been to Jon's today to collect mine. Its been on order since Feb this year, I told him to take his time with it, so I can't grumble about the wait. I saw a lot of comments about Jon's service before I went up today.
He makes no secret about the fact that he has problems with his e mails. I agree that its a lot easier to get him on the phone, which is what I ended up doing. He admits that his main problem is getting suppliers to get things to him on time, even though they are ordered well before he wants them. Most of Jon's stuff is custom made now, so its impossible for him to keep stocks of pups, mine were pretty unusual and had to be a special order.
There are a lot of people on here having Shukers made, if we are all on his case wanting photos every 5 minutes, it will eat into his build time.
Now I have my bass I can say its stunning, Jon is without doubt a Master Craftsman, I am lucky enough to have a Sei Flambouyant 6 as well as the Shuke, the build quality on the Shuke is every bit as good as the Sei, and I recon the Shuke was well over a grand cheaper as well. Go figure.

Tinman, yer bass looks great mate. I got a couple of pics off for you. PM me if you want me to mail them to you.

[quote name='Johngh' post='73969' date='Oct 13 2007, 10:30 PM']I've been to Jon's today to collect mine. Its been on order since Feb this year, I told him to take his time with it, so I can't grumble about the wait. I saw a lot of comments about Jon's service before I went up today.
He makes no secret about the fact that he has problems with his e mails. I agree that its a lot easier to get him on the phone, which is what I ended up doing. He admits that his main problem is getting suppliers to get things to him on time, even though they are ordered well before he wants them. Most of Jon's stuff is custom made now, so its impossible for him to keep stocks of pups, mine were pretty unusual and had to be a special order.
There are a lot of people on here having Shukers made, if we are all on his case wanting photos every 5 minutes, it will eat into his build time.
Now I have my bass I can say its stunning, Jon is without doubt a Master Craftsman, I am lucky enough to have a Sei Flambouyant 6 as well as the Shuke, the build quality on the Shuke is every bit as good as the Sei, and I recon the Shuke was well over a grand cheaper as well. Go figure.

Tinman, yer bass looks great mate. I got a couple of pics off for you. PM me if you want me to mail them to you.[/quote]

+1 on all of that.
Post those pics Pete! :)

Thank's for the comments guys, it's nice to know that I haven't made duff choices in what I picked

[quote name='7string' post='75103' date='Oct 16 2007, 03:46 PM']I bet the waiting for the bass to be finished just got a whole lot harder.. :)[/quote]
You betcha.

MikeB, nice one mate. Hopefully mine won't be long after yours.

[quote name='MikeB' post='75134' date='Oct 16 2007, 04:40 PM']Spoke to Jon today, mine will be ready for collection this weekend. 12 weeks from when I ordered it and right on time. Can't wait to get my hands on it![/quote]

12 weeks? What kind of a wait is that?? I've waited almost as long to get served in Sound Control!

[quote name='MikeB' post='75134' date='Oct 16 2007, 04:40 PM']Spoke to Jon today, mine will be ready for collection this weekend. 12 weeks from when I ordered it and right on time. Can't wait to get my hands on it![/quote]

*chokes* :)