Why become a member? ×

Shuker 4 string bolt on Elite. The 'Lady T'

Tinman

[quote name='OldGit' post='68995' date='Oct 3 2007, 11:44 AM']Keep the faith :huh:
It's worth it ....
Or buy the 6 string Shuker currently for sale on ebay :huh:[/quote]

I know mate. :)
Don't tell me Dood hasn't managed to find a buyer yet.

Si you have a PM BTW

So I now have pics of the body after it's final laquering. It's yet to be polished to give it that depth but I am gob-smacked. To me it looks absolutely amazing and it is everything I hoped it would be. I now am chewing my various appendages off in anticipation of the finished article.

See what you think:

I'm in love I swear!!! :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='71887' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:05 PM']Great looking woods Pete, I'll have a good butchers when I'm up there on Saturday to pick mine up ![/quote]

OOHH
Pics of all available please!

Latest pics of mine arrived today .. No gloss yet ..

[quote name='Johngh' post='71887' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:05 PM']Great looking woods Pete, I'll have a good butchers when I'm up there on Saturday to pick mine up ![/quote]

Thanks mate, I think between us, Jon and I choose well. Although I have to admit, I just left Jon to choose the pieces of buckeye and as you can see, the man has an eye for the unusual (sloths, springer spaniels, rhinocerosesssss)

Edited by Tinman

Blimmin eck, very nice MikeB ... just shows you don't need fancy facings for wood to look good ...
Mines at the same stage as well so we've got a 3-way race to the finish line. Jon was cutting my scratchplate yesterday apparently so it can't be too long before he calls asking for his money.

Just checked back the emails and it was 10 April so 6 months wait for my bass ! Flippin 'eck I was quoted 12 weeks or so.

[quote name='largo' post='72354' date='Oct 10 2007, 07:39 PM']Mines at the same stage as well so we've got a 3-way race to the finish line.[/quote]

Oh goodness ... That's a 4 way race ... :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=5402&view=findpost&p=71900"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=71900[/url]

Nice stuff, take some valium and relax!

Re. your question in the other thread: as far as I know, it's finished, Jon was just hanging on to it for a few days to make sure it settled in okay. I was meant to receive a photo from him about a week ago, but not arrived, of course. Emailed last night to see what's going on. Still the same old story. It's all bought and paid for too.

[quote name='Mike' post='73155' date='Oct 12 2007, 07:29 AM']Nice stuff, take some valium and relax!

Re. your question in the other thread: as far as I know, it's finished, Jon was just hanging on to it for a few days to make sure it settled in okay. I was meant to receive a photo from him about a week ago, but not arrived, of course. Emailed last night to see what's going on. Still the same old story. It's all bought and paid for too.[/quote]

That's the thing with Jon, he won't release an instrument until it's right and to be honest with you, I'm glad about that. Frustrating I know but I'm sure it will be worth it.
To quote you: relax! :)

The thing is, other Shuker purchasers rave about his Customer Service. I'm not saying it's bad - people like Dood appear to have had wonderful experiences. In my experience, it's taken a lot longer than I was initially told (quoted 12 weeks, now into 7months) although I'm aware he had some trouble with the floods. I feel response to my emails has been haphazard and occasionaly a gamble - I feel I only got a response to 50% of my emails, and to be honest, never in a timely fashion. On the phone he's been very nice and helpful - I just prefer email to communicate in cases like this as a ) it lets me get down everything I need to so I won't forget anything and b ) so there is a record of all requests etc. An example is that I spoke to him mid last week - he said there was a chance I would have it by mid this week (just gone). He also said that he would get a picture of it all together and send it the next day. I have never received that picture, and have sent two emails with so far no response. I'm not really angry about it, just a little disappointed by the lack of communication. I suspect that to get stuff done phone is the way to go rather than email.

I'm aware Jon is a one-man outfit so this explains a lot of the problems I think, he's clearly very busy. I think perhaps someone to do admin etc would really help, even for a couple of hours a day. Perhaps all the wonderful customer service reports have come from people who were able to get up to Sheffield, meet him in person to discuss things etc. I wasn't able to do this.

Still, looking forward to getting my paws on it.

Edited by Mike

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='73234' date='Oct 12 2007, 10:49 AM']To tell the truth, all the shuker build threads here and the delays, lack of contact, him not doing what he said he would etc put me off ever buying Shuker unless it's one already built and in stock.[/quote]

That's a shame mate.
What you've got to remember is that Jon is a one man outfit and a very busy one at that. I also think you'll find that all manufacturers suffer from delays for one reason or another. Certainly nothing can be done about suppliers dieing, floods, break ins etc etc.
I've never once complained about the way he does things. He's a family man with other demands on his time. I think a little patience and understanding wouldn't go amiss, considering the standard of his work.
One thing I will say however, is that when accepting a commission, Jon should give a longer lead time. I knew straight away that mine would not be ready in the time he stated but I wasn't bothered, I'd seen the quality of those posted on here and I tried several of the stock items he has in his workshop, I'm willing to wait.

And finally, lets face it, you won't be waiting as long as some who are having basses made by other Luthiers.

Pete