Why become a member? ×

Shuker 4 string bolt on Elite. The 'Lady T'

Tinman

I'm off to see Jon Shuker on Saturday 26th of May, to start the process of having a bass built. I'm taking my camera along with me, so if there are any of you out there in the middle of a build and need photos, let me know.

Pete

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Rich' post='3374' date='May 21 2007, 10:06 AM']And they are..? C'mon, spill the beans! :)

PS when you see the original, it'll blow your mind.[/quote]
Unfortunately, the original went on Saturday, so the pic is all I have to drool over.
My thoughts at present are: Buckeye Burl facings
Side fret lights
Birdseye maple fretboard
34" scale, 24 frets
Gloss Laquer

At the moment and as I've discussed by PM with other owners, I'm not sure what to have the body made from. I like the warmth of mahogany but am concerned about the weight (although Jon says the bass is quite small)
I'm toying with the idea of having it done as a bolt on, with possibly a mahogany neck (thoughts please).
I have no idea what pickups I want but I'd like it to sound massive.

Edited by Tinman

Hey [b]tinman[/b],
glad you've decided to join us mate, you won't regret it!
Really like the look of your specs too.

I reckon with the bass body being that small, using mahogany won't make it too heavy, you could maybe even go for walnut, which would add a bit more bite and definition!
Mahogany for neck would really warm things up too. The best way to get an idea of the sound would be to have a go of a Gibson bass, maybe an SG or a Thunderbird, they, usually anyway, have mahogany bodies and necks, and a really thick and warm tone as a result.

As far as going for a Bolt-On, it's your call, there's a sound difference for sure between bolt-ons and neck through basses, and then a compromise between the two in a set-neck design.
I find a bolt-on bass has a snappier, punchier attack where a neck through bass has a slightly more defined mid range and sweeter sustain. I much prefer the sound of a bolt-on, as it's good for getting a nice slap tone.

Pickups? Well if you want big big tone, I'd recommend EMG DC's, the only thing is they have a real Hi-Fi sound, so if you want something a bit more rootsy sounding I'd look elsewhere. Maybe you could get two MM style pickups, that'd sound huge!

Of course all this info is based on my own experiences, so I might be slightly off the mark, chime in if I'm wrong. :)

One question about the stock bass, is that a new standard shape that Jon is introducing?
I really like it.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='3444' date='May 21 2007, 11:29 AM']Hey [b]tinman[/b],
glad you've decided to join us mate, you won't regret it!
Really like the look of your specs too.

I reckon with the bass body being that small, using mahogany won't make it too heavy, you could maybe even go for walnut, which would add a bit more bite and definition!
Mahogany for neck would really warm things up too. The best way to get an idea of the sound would be to have a go of a Gibson bass, maybe an SG or a Thunderbird, they, usually anyway, have mahogany bodies and necks, and a really thick and warm tone as a result.

As far as going for a Bolt-On, it's your call, there's a sound difference for sure between bolt-ons and neck through basses, and then a compromise between the two in a set-neck design.
I find a bolt-on bass has a snappier, punchier attack where a neck through bass has a slightly more defined mid range and sweeter sustain. I much prefer the sound of a bolt-on, as it's good for getting a nice slap tone.

Pickups? Well if you want big big tone, I'd recommend EMG DC's, the only thing is they have a real Hi-Fi sound, so if you want something a bit more rootsy sounding I'd look elsewhere. Maybe you could get two MM style pickups, that'd sound huge!

Of course all this info is based on my own experiences, so I might be slightly off the mark, chime in if I'm wrong. :)

One question about the stock bass, is that a new standard shape that Jon is introducing?
I really like it.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

That particular bass was made as a one off for a show, I think Jon said. He wanted something a bit more German looking.

As far as trying other basses, being in the wilds of Lincolnshire I'm a bit stuck. Lincoln has a few shops but they're rubbish and Boston only has one and it's not much cop either.

Mahogany body and neck is just an idea, I have a Patrick Eggle gu*tar which is built like that and I was wondering how it would sound as a bass. I'll see what Jon thinks.

Thinking of pickups, I do like the idea of having two MM style or maybe an MM style and a jazz, I'm also toying with the idea of an active/passive bypass in the eq.

I'm pretty set on the Buckeye burl for the facings. Having looked at the pics of Dood's 6 and the status that's being sold I've fallen in love with it.

I've been getting a lot of advice from Dood and Oldgit on this but anymore is more than welcome.

Keep it coming guys

Pete

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='3371' date='May 21 2007, 09:02 AM']Hey Si, I've been told by others that they take 3 to 4 months but I guess that depends on what you're having done.
Mine is going to be based loosely around this
However, I have in mind some changes that I might like.[/quote]

Cheers Tinman, now Simon wants a really expensive one instead of the lower priced one he HAD been happy to settle for! :huh: :)

[quote name='Tinman' post='3365' date='May 21 2007, 09:53 AM']...I'm taking my camera along with me, so if there are any of you out there in the middle of a build and need photos, let me know....[/quote]
Me .... ooh ooh me .... See look, I'm waiving my hands in the air and jumping up and down!

Some pics of the bass with the Bimblebox front and the Coolibah back would be fantastic.

Ofcourse, I'm on holiday all next week but I'm sure I'd be able to find an Internet cafe somewhere.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='3682' date='May 21 2007, 03:32 PM']Me .... ooh ooh me .... See look, I'm waiving my hands in the air and jumping up and down!

Some pics of the bass with the Bimblebox front and the Coolibah back would be fantastic.

Ofcourse, I'm on holiday all next week but I'm sure I'd be able to find an Internet cafe somewhere.[/quote]
Do you want to PM me your e-mail and name so I can get the right one? I'll be happy to take as many as you want my friend

[quote name='Tinman' post='3686' date='May 21 2007, 03:36 PM']Do you want to PM me your e-mail and name so I can get the right one? I'll be happy to take as many as you want my friend[/quote]
Tis done. Don't really care how many pics. you take, as any info is more than I have at the moment. Many thanks.

[quote name='Linz' post='3599' date='May 21 2007, 02:20 PM']Cheers Tinman, now Simon wants a really expensive one instead of the lower priced one he HAD been happy to settle for! :huh: :)[/quote]

No, I want a jaydee built. That is a very long term goal and I will get it one day when I finally finish uni again.

[quote name='RichBowman' post='4012' date='May 21 2007, 11:09 PM']Oooh cool,

Another baby to add to the fast growing community!

Keep us posted with the progress - Are you thinking of an active preamp? If so, then I highly recommend Jon's in house design, it's splendid!

All the best,

Rich[/quote]

Yeah, I'm after an active eq. I'm not sure whether to go for active pups though. I might look at the idea of an active/passive system, don't know.
Thanks for the recommendation mate.

Hey Pete!!

Lookin' good mate! One thing I meant to add in my PM's is that Jon can get custom pups wound. Passive ones too.. so you'd be able to get a monster tone from a custom configuration. When Tom (Wotnwhy) had his Shuker built, he ordered a custom triple coil musicman pickup straight from Ernie Ball. The pickup was a big chunky mofo!!

SO, there's no limits really. Talk to Jon about Delano, Aero, Nordstrand, BareKnuckle, Wizard.. the list goes on!

Have a great day tomozz and say a big hello to Jon for me!

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='6990' date='May 26 2007, 06:03 AM']Tinman at 5.00 am - "Is it time to go yet? Is it, is it?" :huh: :huh: :huh:

What on earth am I doing up at this godforsaken hour? :)

The things we do for love :wub:[/quote]

Have a great day - whats his joy is your joy etc, etc... :huh: :huh:

...and so Tinman went on his travels to Sheffield. After getting lost a couple of times he found his way to the home of bass guitar goodness that is Shuker Guitars.
After much discussion and a visit to the wood store (I know, I know) the following was decided:

Body: shaped as in the pic shown earlier in this thread but built as a bolt on

core - Black Walnut

facings - Buckeye Burl front and back

Veneer - White sycamore between the core and facings

Matching cavity covers

Finish - wet look gloss

Neck: 7 piece maple/black walnut/maple/mahogany/maple/black walnut/maple laminate

fretboard - Birdseye maple, 24 frets

fret markers - Abalone dot

side (top edge) lights (can't decide between blue or red, Jon said to ask you lot which is best on stage) controlled by volume pot push pull.

medium fretwire

headstock - Black walnut with Buckeye burl front and back

neck finish - satin laquer

nut - graphite/brass

Electronics: Jons own 3 band eq with mid frequency adjust

Pickups - we didn't decide today. After much talk of the properties of various pups we decided to dispense with the idea of Musicman style.
I played one of his stock basses fitted with EMGs, loved it. However, Jon has some Delano pups coming soon and when they do he
will try them out to see if they will suit. Other than that we discussed the idea of a combination of the EMG DC and J which I'm
already leaning towards.

Other: Tuners - I'll probably go for the standard. Jon seems to think that they won't cause any neck-dive but we'll check when it gets to that stage

Individual bridge saddles

Dunlop straplocks

And that is about that.

I could really do with some advice on the sidelight colour, Jon was saying that the blue get easily swamped by stage lighting more so than the red ones. If any of you out there use them could you give me a recommendation.

A really great trip to meet a really decent and very knowledgable fella.

To all of you who gave me help and advice I send a great big thanks.

All I have to do now is wait for Jon to take some pics for me and then I can show you.

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='ped' post='7175' date='May 26 2007, 04:03 PM']Superb. I look forward to watching this one progress.[/quote]

You and me both Brother!

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='7183' date='May 26 2007, 04:16 PM']Excellent, that sounds like a great spec. Jon is great to deal with. Whats your estimated build time?

I'm off to see Jon on Tuesday![/quote]

Thanks A-D, Jon is a great guy, he obviously love what he does.
He estimates 14 weeks give or take, the wait is going to drive me mad but I guess you can't rush quality.

Edited by Tinman