Why become a member? ×

New Laney Digbeth range

Merton

23 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

Definitely think I'll get the 500 head in the new year. 

Any recommendations for portable cabs that would be good for ska/reggae? 

There is a Barefaced Dubster in the Basschat Marketplace (no personal interest), which would be immense with the 500 watt head. However, that might not fit your definition of portable, in which case a Barefaced Two10 would be a good candidate IMO. Mine is surprisingly low end rich. I can’t comment on the BF 12s, because I have never had the pleasure but I should think a Super Twin would give you the goods even more than the Two10. You might have to play with the amp EQ more though, as the 12s are less coloured than the 10s.

@asingardenof got there before me on the Dubster. Great minds think alike!

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

I can dream of the Dubster, but I don't think I can find a place for it in the house. Certainly won't get it under the Xmas tree this year... 

All the reading I've been doing suggests barefaced is the way to go. 

I think the BF 10s are great cabs. Light, compact, tough and sound fantastic. I find the Two10 is better than the sum of its parts. By which I mean that it sounds better than two One10s, which I had previously. There is a bit of cleverness going on in the Two10 in the Line Array cross-over, which makes it sound bigger than two separate 10s. It’s a vintage coloured sound though, which isn’t for everybody. They have also just introduced a 3 x 10 but it is quite a big cab.

Another British cab line that has been getting some love recently is LFSys. There are some reviews on BC. Their 12s come out a bit cheaper than BFs but we are in FRFR territory, which might not be what you are looking for. I guess you would need to EQ on the amp to make them less flat.

47 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I find the Two10 is better than the sum of its parts

That's interesting, I was thinking of getting a single (10 or 12) and then saving up for a second only if needed. 

I guess the lfsys frfr can be shaped well with the amps eq, especially the tilt. 

Don't need it straight away so time to save and research. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 15:15, Obrienp said:

There is a Barefaced Dubster in the Basschat Marketplace (no personal interest), which would be immense with the 500 watt head. However, that might not fit your definition of portable, in which case a Barefaced Two10 would be a good candidate IMO. Mine is surprisingly low end rich. I can’t comment on the BF 12s, because I have never had the pleasure but I should think a Super Twin would give you the goods even more than the Two10. You might have to play with the amp EQ more though, as the 12s are less coloured than the 10s.

@asingardenof got there before me on the Dubster. Great minds think alike!

Barefaced for reggae all day long. I would recommend the 4x10 (I needed that much headroom) or the Super Twin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

Could someone with the 500w head measure the distance between feet. Just checking it would fit on a BF one10 horizontally. 

Thanks! 

Sadly I don’t own a 500 head but from experience, Laney are super helpful if you email them......

[email protected]

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2024 at 09:20, Fishfacefour said:

Could someone with the 500w head measure the distance between feet. Just checking it would fit on a BF one10 horizontally. 

Thanks! 

Would fit an LFSys Monza fine! I don't need a new head, but it would go nicely on my Monza.

On 19/12/2023 at 16:10, Fishfacefour said:

Definitely think I'll get the 500 head in the new year. 

Any recommendations for portable cabs that would be good for ska/reggae? 

I’m in the market for something similar - dub/reggae/soul. I was thinking the Barefaced BB3 as I also play guitar and figured it could double for that with a guitar cab sim or eq going into it. But if I didn’t also want it for multipurpose then the two10 and three10 would likely be my choice as the coloured sound should work well for those genres.

edit: speaking on a thread about the Laney Digbeth. The combo looks like a good option, great value.

Edited by barrettisgold
  • Like 1

I've received the combo in a trade yesterday, as a replacement for my current combo that lacks some useful features. 

My intention is to use it as practice amp at home, that goes loud enough for small gig stuff.

First impressions; good sounding, small, well built, loud.

I really, really like the switching between the two preamp styles. The FET mode goes well with my Moduluses, while the "tube" mode does a truly great job with my flatwound equipped shorties. The tube mode sounds good with the modern basses too though.

The toneshaping is fun too. A bit different, but it's pretty easy to get a good sound imo.

So far I haven't found any cons.

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

On 19/01/2024 at 09:20, Fishfacefour said:

Thanks! 

Mines 34 cm from outer edge of the foot to outer edge. 15.5cm front to back. ✌️

On 19/01/2024 at 10:03, Bigwan said:

Bound to attract a few folks to Laney gear having a big name like NE attached to it!

Oh that's cool, having NE attached should be a big pull.

I honestly think they underpriced these; I reckon we would see more out there if they were 1.5-2x the price

Anybody else noticed a hiss when playing? I haven´t noticed it before, but it is quite apparent when close to the amp (200-210). I´ve read these apparantly have a noisegate. All great when it´s silent when not playing, but is it normal to have an hiss when playing? It´s sensitive to frequency; once the Tilt knob is favored to the treble side, it becomes more apparent.

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Anybody else noticed a hiss when playing? I haven´t noticed it before, but it is quite apparent when close to the amp (200-210). I´ve read these apparantly have a noisegate. All great when it´s silent when not playing, but is it normal to have an hiss when playing? It´s sensitive to frequency; once the Tilt knob is favored to the treble side, it becomes more apparent.

It is a noise gate. But 100% you won't hear a thing when playing live. It kicks in temporarily when you're not playing but does get any louder the louder you turn up. 

26 minutes ago, la bam said:

It is a noise gate. But 100% you won't hear a thing when playing live. It kicks in temporarily when you're not playing but does get any louder the louder you turn up. 

I play in my living room at modest volume mostly, when cranking up it gets lost for the bigger part indeed.

Still it surprises me that they have a noise reducer built in that kicks in when things run silent, while the amp itself is kinda hissy. It seems that this amp could benefit when it was an always-on function