Why become a member? ×

Embassy

stewblack

While it would have been nice to see the tuners rotated such that their full frontal profile is parallel to the face of the headstock to gauge how close to each other they get, to be fair, that doesn't look as bad as some efforts I've seen.  Are Hipshot elephant ears are a bit smaller than some?  I could put up with that, nay even like that.  I've seen some big eared horrors in the past but those slightly smaller buttons, coupled with the fact that they're not sticking out half a mile on long stalks and that doesn't come anywhere close to that.  I thought the disconnect between the small size tuner posts and the elephant ears would have had me cringing like watching someone spread marmalade on a steak but it's not as bad as I had feared.

Hell, I would go so far as to say I approve of this configuration (not that it matters what I think).  Go forth and fit these machine heads with my blessing :D

Gibson themselves have used the full gamut of possibilites for bass tuners from full on ridiculous sticking out elephant ears on long stalks (which are the ones I think look bloody awful in small headstock 2+2 configuration) through close fitting elephant ears to mini bass tuner buttons to sideways mounted minis (in the slotted headstock EB basses) to fully invisible rear facing banjo tuners.  They've thrown everything at it - sometimes changing types and sizes even during a model run (for instance it's possible to see either close fitting elephant ears (Schaller BM) or mini bass buttons (Schaller M4) on a Grabber or G-3 depending upon when it was made).  So I guess when the company themselves can't even settle on a style then why should you? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

to gauge how close to each other they get

I think on most 4x4s they are significantly wider apart than on a 4-a-side headstock.

The Westone here (too narrow for a change) has tuners 2" apart and my Tanglewood is 2 1/8", Fender is 1 7/8". The difference is more striking than you'd expect.

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think on most 4x4s they are significantly wider apart than on a 4-a-side headstock.

The Westone here (too narrow for a change) has tuners 2" apart and my Tanglewood is 2 1/8", Fender is 1 7/8". The difference is more striking than you'd expect.

To be clear I wasn't worried about them physically clashing, was just considering aesthetics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An Embassy has been causing some low level gas for a good few months now, and although I don't usually bother with 'Black Friday' nonsense an email from PMT arrived stating 10% off selected lines. I had a look and yes, the Embassy is included. So a lovely Almond one is on it's way. 

Well I say on it's way but I've kind of screwed myself. As it was an unplanned purchase I thought I'd do the nine months interest free, just to spread it out a bit. With PMT's checkout process you buy the bass and then apply for credit, but the only credit available on it was 'buy now pay later' at 19.9%, no thanks. This transaction is now 'pending' waiting for a finance agreement. It gets cancelled after two days of no payment. 

I had to buy another one but the pending one must've been the last one as that one says delivery on Tuesday, but the one I've actually paid for says 'delivery once back in stock'. 

I'll ring tomorrow and see if they can send the pending one, but I might have just scuppered myself. 

1 minute ago, Maude said:

An Embassy has been causing some low level gas for a good few months now, and although I don't usually bother with 'Black Friday' nonsense an email from PMT arrived stating 10% off selected lines. I had a look and yes, the Embassy is included. So a lovely Almond one is on it's way. 

Well I say on it's way but I've kind of screwed myself. As it was an unplanned purchase I thought I'd do the nine months interest free, just to spread it out a bit. With PMT's checkout process you buy the bass and then apply for credit, but the only credit available on it was 'buy now pay later' at 19.9%, no thanks. This transaction is now 'pending' waiting for a finance agreement. It gets cancelled after two days of no payment. 

I had to buy another one but the pending one must've been the last one as that one says delivery on Tuesday, but the one I've actually paid for says 'delivery once back in stock'. 

I'll ring tomorrow and see if they can send the pending one, but I might have just scuppered myself. 

Thomann had said mine would be in stock next week, now they've told me the new date is 29 December, so I won't get it until 2022 😞

My fault as I MUST have the wanderlust green one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thomann had said mine would be in stock next week, now they've told me the new date is 29 December, so I won't get it until 2022 😞

My fault as I MUST have the wanderlust green one.

From buying my Jack Casady earlier in the year I know that Gibson/Epiphone deliveries are few and far between and dates are very vague. 

PMT had the green in stock earlier at £314 using promo code 'BF10'. Free delivery on Tuesday, if that helps. 

Edit - Now showing as available to order ☹️

Edited by Maude

20 hours ago, Maude said:

From buying my Jack Casady earlier in the year I know that Gibson/Epiphone deliveries are few and far between and dates are very vague. 

PMT had the green in stock earlier at £314 using promo code 'BF10'. Free delivery on Tuesday, if that helps. 

Edit - Now showing as available to order ☹️

Yes, I saw that, but "We will ship to you as soon as we receive stock."

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes, I saw that, but "We will ship to you as soon as we receive stock."

Yeah sorry, my edit is confusing reading it back. 

I meant they were in stock, but now only 'available to order', as in not in stock. 

Hopefully you'll get your green one soon. 

I really couldn't decide between the green or gold but just fancied a gold bass in the end. 

I can see a tort scratchplate on the gold, but the black matches the headstock. 

What am I doing, I haven't even got it yet! 

😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

Yeah sorry, my edit is confusing reading it back. 

I meant they were in stock, but now only 'available to order', as in not in stock. 

Hopefully you'll get your green one soon. 

I really couldn't decide between the green or gold but just fancied a gold bass in the end. 

I can see a tort scratchplate on the gold, but the black matches the headstock. 

What am I doing, I haven't even got it yet! 

😁

Not you being confusing, PMT.

I got all excited on Friday then I saw the small print.

image.png.5ac768f15ce2d0202555ab0464d91c7d.png

• Sad 1

It gets better, I've just had a message from DPD saying Shaun will deliver my package today. 

I only rang PMT late morning yesterday. 

Come on Shaun, where are you?

I'm going to go and stand by my gate and wait. 

😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

It gets better, I've just had a message from DPD saying Shaun will deliver my package today. 

I only rang PMT late morning yesterday. 

Come on Shaun, where are you?

I'm going to go and stand by my gate and wait. 

😁

Yeah, come on Shaun!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Yeah, come on Shaun!

Shaun is, apparently, 1 hour away.

I can also tell you that his favourite song is 'Take It Easy' by The Eagles. 

TAKE IT EASY!! 

Put your bloody foot down Shaun. Come on! 

🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Maude said:

Shaun is, apparently, 1 hour away.

I can also tell you that his favourite song is 'Take It Easy' by The Eagles. 

TAKE IT EASY!! 

Put your bloody foot down Shaun. Come on! 

🤣🤣🤣

Strictly speaking you should leave it in its box until tomorrow to acclimatise after it’s been stuck in the back of Shaun’s freezing van all day. 

I’m sure you’ll be able to hold out until tomorrow… won’t you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Strictly speaking you should leave it in its box until tomorrow to acclimatise after it’s been stuck in the back of Shaun’s freezing van all day. 

I’m sure you’ll be able to hold out until tomorrow… won’t you?

Ha ha

24 minutes ago, stewblack said:

PICTURES

All in good time young Stew, all in good time. 😉

14 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Please stop right there.

Haven't bought a bass for 21 months, would like to make that 24 months 👍

A sneaky peaked close up. 

MQ9fHCy.jpeg

• Like 2