Why become a member? ×

Embassy

stewblack

6 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

^ yeah, definitely took that out the box too soon after it was brought in from the cold.

I reckon the headstock will have snapped off by the morning and all the sparkly paint fallen off….

Wouldn't that have happened the first time the headstock was breathed upon? ;)

Right here we go then. 

Firstly you have to understand that I can be too fussy for my own good. It comes from a being a panel beater with a bit of pride, and badly sanded edges and misaligned parts leap out at me. 

Which led to my first disappointment. It came out the bag headstock first and the paint edge around the 'open book' shape isn't the best. There's also a couple of edges which aren't right, but to be fair this is a colour that will emphasise any imperfections, and it's only a £350 bass. 

That said, it does look lovely, I really like the colour and the body hardware looks huge, really chunky, which I like. 

The actual paint finish is perfectly acceptable, not amazing but as good as more expensive basses. 

I've only plugged it into a small amp so far but it sounds great, I really quite like the both pickups on full, slightly scooped tone it has. But the neck pickup full, bridge about halfway is great. 

Action is very high for my liking but that all adjustable. 

The frets are very thin which I also like. 

More to come when I've spent some time with it, but overall a very nice bass for very little money. 

Without flash. 

mYFuSV0.jpeg

38ULZnz.jpeg

With flash. 

WjVcVMd.jpeg

Vd0zGAx.jpeg

Bad edges. 

AGHkpQn.jpeg

BOujPJC.jpeg

Qf6pj3H.jpeg

12c30RD.jpeg

Action. 

f0o5ht3.jpeg

Nice fretboard wood. 

lqJVhjW.jpeg

Chunky hardware. 

4dtVs1J.jpeg

Retro knobs 

UoHOo6s.jpeg

Lovely colour. 

Wg3LFBy.jpeg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Right here we go then. 

Firstly you have to understand that I can be too fussy for mystery own good. It comes from a being a panel beater with a bit of pride, and badly sanded edges and misaligned parts leap out at me. 

Which led to my first disappointment. It came out the bag headstock first and the paint edge around the 'open book' shape isn't the best. There's also a couple of edges which aren't right, but to be fair this is a colour that will emphasise any imperfections, and it's only a £350 bass. 

That said, it does look lovely, I really like the colour and the body hardware looks huge, really chunky, which I like. 

The actual paint finish is perfectly acceptable, not amazing but as good as more expensive basses. 

I've only plugged it into a small amp so far but it sounds great, I really quite like the both pickups on full, slightly scooped tone it has. But the neck pickup full, bridge about halfway is great. 

Action is very high for my liking but that all adjustable. 

The frets are very thin which I also like. 

More to come when I've spent some time with it, but overall a very nice bass for very little money. 

Without flash. 

mYFuSV0.jpeg

38ULZnz.jpeg

With flash. 

WjVcVMd.jpeg

Vd0zGAx.jpeg

Bad edges. 

AGHkpQn.jpeg

BOujPJC.jpeg

Qf6pj3H.jpeg

12c30RD.jpeg

Action. 

f0o5ht3.jpeg

Nice fretboard wood. 

lqJVhjW.jpeg

Chunky hardware. 

4dtVs1J.jpeg

Retro knobs 

UoHOo6s.jpeg

Lovely colour. 

Wg3LFBy.jpeg

Is that it??

:ph34r:😃

• Haha 2

It does look nice enough to eat, the colour especially looks better in your pics. The stock picks make the colours look rather flatter and less rich.

It's only just dawned on me that I've finally ordered a metallic finish bass (I don't count candy apple red...)

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Maude said:

No, my bad (as the coolest kids say). 

It's VBT, but I meant with the blend half way between both pickups and just the neck one, at 7.5 if you will. 

I'm debating VBT for my Medium Scale Jazz build. 

Joking aside, it's a lovely looking bass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Beautiful. I wouldn't notice the imperfections, but as you say that's your job.

Yeah it's just me being fussy, and the photos make it look worse. 

If I'd refinished it I'd be annoyed with myself for letting those bits go, but you can't expect that attention to detail in a cheap, mass produced bass. 

I doubt exchanging it for another would improve things as there'd be other bits wrong probably. 

I know I don't sound it, but I'm really happy with it. Most folks would never notice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maude said:

Yeah it's just me being fussy, and the photos make it look worse. 

If I'd refinished it I'd be annoyed with myself for letting those bits go, but you can't expect that attention to detail in a cheap, mass produced bass. 

I doubt exchanging it for another would improve things as there'd be other bits wrong probably. 

I know I don't sound it, but I'm really happy with it. Most folks would never notice. 

I'm also a fussy sod. I've gotten over it by developing a love of relics. At first, I found them abhorrent, but now I really do like a nicely worn bass. 

My therapy came in the form of building a Telecaster for a friend. They wanted a relic. I spend a good chunk of time painting it (proper nitro spray) so the finish was perfect (or as close as I could get) The relic process started ceremonially by dropping a screwdriver onto it from 6ft up. After that it was all huge fun. 

Weird thing was I preferred it after the relic process so I did a few basses of my own. Nowadays I actually really like relics, and love the process of creating them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maude said:

No, my bad (as the coolest kids say). 

It's VBT, but I meant with the blend half way between both pickups and just the neck one, at 7.5 if you will. 

OK, thanks. I thought it had a blend. It may be the one thing I change, but we'll see how I get on with it.

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I'm also a fussy sod. I've gotten over it by developing a love of relics. At first, I found them abhorrent, but now I really do like a nicely worn bass. 

My therapy came in the form of building a Telecaster for a friend. They wanted a relic. I spend a good chunk of time painting it (proper nitro spray) so the finish was perfect (or as close as I could get) The relic process started ceremonially by dropping a screwdriver onto it from 6ft up. After that it was all huge fun. 

Weird thing was I preferred it after the relic process so I did a few basses of my own. Nowadays I actually really like relics, and love the process of creating them. 

I'll be honest, I felt you overdid the effect once or twice...

R9lqmId.jpg