Why become a member? ×

Lately, I've mostly been working on...

mcgraham

I'd rather discuss/debate music and general progression in practicing music than most other topics of conversation on here. So, with that in mind...

I took a short break from playing bass, nothing enforced since middle of last week. Wanted to tighten up some nuts and bolts with my guitar playing in that time and I did so. Such things help spur me on generally in music, (bass being my primary instrument).

Things that I am/will be working on? Legato. Listening to guitarists like Govan and Satriani inspire me to work on getting fluid but defined sounding lines, on bass as well as guitar. Also learning to combine it effectively with plucking notes.
Arpeggios. Hadrien Feraud has awesome chops on arpeggios, something I've not worked on quite as much as other things, so I'm returning to that for a bit.
Reading. Just want to get better at that. I've got stuff to work on, I just need to sit down with it.
Writing. Got a few pieces in the works, very early beginnings though. This is not just for bass, will mostly be done on guitar. I'm also working on some more specific technical things, but I won't bore people with that unless they ask.

Share what you're working on! I'm at least one person who's interested!

Mark

I'm gearing up for my first gig with a new band next Friday. My second gig ever in my life. Basically just practising my butt off. Learning to hold notes better, have fingers more ready with the next note to move faster.

Had a good practice session on Wednesday with the band which has put me in a good frame of mind for the gig. Got next week off work too, so should be able to get lots of practice in.

I've been practicing playing and singing at the same time since I drew the short straw and got nominated for harmony vox. I've always sung in bands before but it's been years since my last proper band, so it's something I need to re-learn.

I've started off slowly with some Toots & The Maytals numbers, some Police, and some Smiths.

Heh - I love Guthrie Govan, my 2nd favourite guitar player. Amazing guitarist but I'll never be able to play that stuff. My fave guitarist is Thomas Blug, and I'm more into that kind of 'feel' playing myself. I'm trying to play less notes and say more these days.

As far as bass goes, I'm a big fan of Christian Worship music and love playing along to up tempo tracks, usually making up my own bass lines.

I'm also getting more into piano again, practicing some Chapman stick stuff wot I wrote, and I'm trying to get a basic grasp of drumming.

After many years of trying to work at stuff (theory, proper practice etc.) I have given up in favour of just having fun.

+1 Golchen, totally about having fun. Thing is, I've discovered I have [i]more[/i] fun the more I learn. I can't tell you how certain things will improve my playing until after I've learned them. After that they naturally come out. I've therefore learned from experience to keep striving for more and I'll reap the benefits as an automatic response.

Mark

P.S. Guthrie is a monster! 'Rhode Island Shred' is on my 'to transcribe' list.

working on a bach tune (for enjoyment and practicing reading amongst other things), Hanon (a bit!), some solo noodlings which I hope to record someday (when I can play them well enough) and a new batch of band covers (Foos, KOL, Bowie, etc) which happily aren't particularly taxing. Oh, and trying to find another bl***y drummer (again) :)

Sliding... The new band are very rock. I'm concluding that in rock if you are going to a note you should slide to it. If you have a pause then you should slide up or down, even if it makes you grab for the next part. Oh and if you have a pattern to play try to hammer on... Now you're rockin'!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='447289' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:27 PM']Nice! How's the Hanon coming along?

Mark[/quote]

Hi Mark

I've put it on the back burner to a degree for the time being while I shift my focus a bit, but I keep revisiting it to stay on top of things. It's certainly still in my practice regime in the longer term, such that it is.

With respect to my right hand, I found that when I concentrate on strict alternating starting with one or other finger, the whole thing is a lot less fluid then when I use my right hand subconsciously. I did expect this to a degree but I was surprised by the extent tbh. It demonstrated just how much raking I did in the course of my normal playing, but also how automatic my right hand has become (which was nice to see). I definately don't want to compromise that so I've decided to play it all three ways with my right hand (i.e. subconsciously, starting with finger 1 alternating, and starting with finger 2 alternating) to see where that takes me.

I do feel to have benefitted tho' especially in voicing the notes played, and specifically how each note ends. It's certainly tidied things up and made everything sound more crisp

[quote name='cytania' post='447402' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:40 PM']Sliding... The new band are very rock. I'm concluding that in rock if you are going to a note you should slide to it. If you have a pause then you should slide up or down, even if it makes you grab for the next part. Oh and if you have a pattern to play try to hammer on... Now you're rockin'![/quote]

I think sliding in quiet bits leading into a new part of a song can sound fantastic

In an effort to speed up my finger picking I've started using 2 fingers after playing with 3 fingers for 20 years. Gone back to basics, scales/metronome, different patterns etc. Going through Jaco's Come on Come Over and making great progress - right pleased with myself!

[quote]Jamey Aebersold play along volume 1- How to Play Jazz[/quote]

Nice to see Abersold getting a mention, his stuff was my first intro to bass over 30 years ago.
Personally. Im concentrating on trying to get to grips with some simple funk, Bootsy's slower stuff etc. (failing miserably at the moment tho).
Ah well, one day I will break free from 0-5 :)

I've recently decided to really get to grips with the three (what I call "tricky-bastard") scales that are in part symetrical but also have infinite possibilities - these are the diminished, whole tone and the melodic minor - but in turn using these over diminished/altered/seventh chords when soloing (or playing a bass line). I've also been adding in chormatic notes - much like bebop scales - and just really trying to get into the deeper harmonic aspects of these things away from just major and minor.

I've also just finished (well almost) Vic Wooten's 'The Music Lesson' book that has loads of 'other' musical advice in that all pertains to bring a greater level of expression and meaning to all the technical stuff on the bass - really getting into the nuts and bolts of 'why' we play music at all - and what you want to achieve (in a wider sense) when you pick up the bass. It's a really interesting book - not for everyone I'm sure - but I've found it really enlightening and has already helped me approach the way I play differently.

Lastly I'm working on some new solo tunes - as in my own music - the writing side is not something I struggle with it's more about upping the quality level of the recording I produce - I've even been playing keyboards and adding in different sounds really opens up the ambiance of a piece. I've also upgraded the RAM on my intel Mac to 4GB - which means I can now ryun BFD without it crashing all the time!

Anyway I better get on - I got some music to make!

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='447961' date='Mar 28 2009, 11:03 AM']I've recently decided to really get to grips with the three (what I call "tricky-bastard") scales that are in part symetrical but also have infinite possibilities - these are the diminished, whole tone and the melodic minor - but in turn using these over diminished/altered/seventh chords when soloing (or playing a bass line). I've also been adding in chormatic notes - much like bebop scales - and just really trying to get into the deeper harmonic aspects of these things away from just major and minor.[/quote]

Wow - some people are on a different planet to me when it comes to bass playing. I just feel good hitting the right root note!

[quote name='Golchen' post='448545' date='Mar 29 2009, 10:29 AM']Wow - some people are on a different planet to me when it comes to bass playing. I just feel good hitting the right root note![/quote]

Hey I didn't say it was easy... :) - I'm still trying to make them sound musical... that's the REALLY hard part - sorry the repost but this was thing [b][url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=110099"]I recorded[/url][/b] - let me know what you think.

It all takes a long time and you never stop learning - as long as you try new things and keep an ear/eye on your own development then you're doing exactly what I do.

Mike