Why become a member? ×

Crowd sings the bass line

adamg67

They can call it whatever they want. 

Unless they are just referring to the sixteenth notes played at beginning (which it's obvious not the case), that is the melody. Played first by the bass, then by bass, guitar and keys. 

Just like Teen Town. It's the melody. 

3 minutes ago, J_Bass said:

They can call it whatever they want. 

Unless they are just referring to the sixteenth notes played at beginning (which it's obvious not the case), that is the melody. Played first by the bass, then by bass, guitar and keys. 

Just like Teen Town. It's the melody. 

If you want to convince people, just stating the same thing again and again isn't usually the best way. You could maybe refer to the definitions of bass line and melody, but then you'd find that the definition of bass line is pretty much "what the bass is playing".

46 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

If you want to convince people, just stating the same thing again and again isn't usually the best way. You could maybe refer to the definitions of bass line and melody, but then you'd find that the definition of bass line is pretty much "what the bass is playing".

I'm not trying to convince anyone, I thought it was pretty obvious that the famous riff is the melody of the tune.

It doesn't matter who plays it, it's still the melody.

The melody is the “tune” of the music and it’s what most commonly defines the song’s identity. It’s normally much more “obvious” than the bassline. It’s probably what you would sing if somebody asked you to sing that song. For example, the song “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” has a simple melody which you can probably sing – but you were asked to sing the bass line you’d probably struggle!

The bassline underpins the harmony of the song. It most commonly provides the root note of each chord, so that listening for the bass line is closely related to listening for the chord progression. The bassline helps provide the solid, predictable structure which the melody then wanders freely on top of. 

So, yep, it's the melody. 

https://www.musical-u.com/learn/how-do-you-hear-the-difference-between-bass-line-and-melody/#:~:text=The melody is the “tune,“obvious” than the bassline.&text=It most commonly provides the,listening for the chord progression.

A good example of a bass line that a lot of people sing is McCartney's Come Together. That's a bass line. 

Edited by J_Bass

4 hours ago, J_Bass said:

A good example of a bass line that a lot of people sing is McCartney's Come Together. That's a bass line. 

The bass in Come Together is pretty melodic. In fact it's more melodic than any of the other instrumental parts, and so is less of a bass line than the bass part in Dean Town, which has the same amount of melodicness as the other parts.

Edited by adamg67

1 hour ago, adamg67 said:

The bass in Come Together is pretty melodic. In fact it's more melodic than any of the other instrumental parts, and so is less of a bass line than the bass part in Dean Town, which has the same amount of melodicness as the other parts.

That's illogical. You're just trying to be right, now. 

Let's leave it like this, then. 

30 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Fight!

It’s still a bassline in my not-so-humble opinion even though it’s played on a guitar through an octave down. A bassline doesn’t need to be played on a bass, it could be anything in the lower register, even a piano. Yes it’s the main hook... But still a bassline! 🤥🥊

• Like 2

Just now, dannybuoy said:

It’s still a bassline in my not-so-humble opinion even though it’s played on a guitar through an octave down. A bassline doesn’t need to be played on a bass, it could be anything in the lower register, even a piano. Yes it’s the main hook... But still a bassline! 🤥🥊

You make a convincing argument. Not a knockout, but you’re ahead on points. 
And you probably have better walk-on music 😉.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 23:31, chris_b said:

I had a bunch of air-bassists at a wedding once. About 4 of them made a line in front of me and . . . . played air-bass for a whole song!

Did you tell them they were playing it wrong ? 

2 hours ago, J_Bass said:

That's illogical. You're just trying to be right, now. 

Let's leave it like this, then. 

I'm really not, and I don't believe in any of the things I put forward about what's a bassline and what's not, I just put them forward to show that there might be other points of view to your absolutist one. What I really think is that none of it is that strictly defined. There are melodic bass lines and melodies played on the bass and trying to defining exactly which is what is just silly. You can't be "right" about whether something is a bassline or not because there are no facts or rules, just someone's opinion.

And Seven Nation Army can be a bass line if it likes. Or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2021 at 00:31, chris_b said:

I had a bunch of air-bassists at a wedding once. About 4 of them made a line in front of me and . . . . played air-bass for a whole song!

On 08/04/2021 at 11:04, Ricky Rioli said:

Made me wonder, do you see more short scale air basses these days?

On 08/04/2021 at 11:12, chris_b said:

One looked like he was playing a bass ukulele, but the rest were definitely playing Precisions, with burst and tort.

On 08/04/2021 at 16:44, MacDaddy said:

Are they any good for metal? :ph34r:

And the weight?