Why become a member? ×

LABELS are they really worth it?

pricechris10

I've deliberately tried to buy reputable brands that other players aspire to own in order to minimise depreciation (unless sound and/or playability were exceptional). The only exception to that has been the Shuker 6. I'd probably lose a load on that if I tried to sell it on (which is why its going back to Jon for further tweaks, if I'm going to live with it, it's got to be right).

I think we should be honest though and admit there's a certain amount of prestige that comes from owning an instrument that is coveted by other players. And those owners don't deserve to be singled out for criticism any more than players who deliberately opt for value for money instruments either. If I couldn't afford Smiths or Shukers or whatever (and I can't now, to be completely blunt) then there's always the DIY route or put together from spares. And FWIW there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Fender Jazz for that matter either, very versatile instruments that have stood the test of time. I think we all have the right to feel proud of the instruments we value most.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='443885' date='Mar 24 2009, 03:26 PM']No, no, no.

1. Does it have a famous name on the headstock?
2. Does it have kudos in the bass playing community?
3. I agree on 3.
4. Can I get it in the house under the wife-dar?[/quote]
:)

No. 4 especially!!

Must say that I voted No.4 in the OP's poll - it's what plays/feels/sounds right that matters IMO.. I've had loads of big brand name basses in the past and have a few now, but that doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you don't enjoy it when you pick up the instrument and play it.

I had a Fender '66 Jazz about 14 years ago and I just didn't like it, so I sold it on.. Conversely, I had a short-scale, cheap old Kay bass some years ago that I sold and I still wish I had it because it was great fun to play..

[quote name='BigRedX' post='443870' date='Mar 24 2009, 03:13 PM']The important questions (all of equal importance) are:

1. Does it suit my playing style?

2. Does it sound right?

3. Does it look right?

4. Can I afford it?

I only keep instruments that I can answer yes to all 4.

What's written on the headstock is completely irrelevant.[/quote]

1. Is the neck made of aluminium?

2. Um...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='444300' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:52 PM']I think we should be honest though and admit there's a certain amount of prestige that comes from owning an instrument that is coveted by other players. And those owners don't deserve to be singled out for criticism any more than players who deliberately opt for value for money instruments either.[/quote]

I remember as a kid dreaming about the day I might be good enough to own a Warwick. I remember popping into The Gallery after 9 years of playing to buy my first ever Warwick. It was such an event for me that I took 3 friends along. :)

It turns out that the only two types of basses that suit my playing are Warwicks and Fender Jazzes. You need to get equipment that's right for you and suits your needs, both in terms of tone and playability. If you're after something very specific and slightly unusual it can cost a lot of money to get right.

I went for number 4. If it feels good it doesn't matter. My number one bass now is a Sandberg, which is hand-made in a small workshop, and the quality of it absolutely blows away anything else I own - but I'll still happily get on stage with my modded Squier too, and the 'Extreme' Jazz bass I won in the basschat raffle has come out great after a few tweaks to the hardware. I think it's hard to find a genuinely bad instrument now, with the quailty of manufacturing having been cranked right up in the likes of Korea and Indonesia. The recent SX love-in on here showed that a well made cheap instrument can find a home amongst the most boutique collections.

Personally i use big names as a good starting point.
Most people know what the major brands / labels / models sound like so you've probably got an idea in your head of what you're looking for.
Armed with this i'd then go into a shop and take a look, listen and play of what i think i may like the sound of.
If the shop is any good then they'll take what you've said you like and then hopefully suggest possible alternatives and "if you like that, then you might like this" just to broaden your horizons and maybe highlight something you'd never heard of or thought about buying.
If someone suggested something along the lines of what i was after and it suited my price, sound, quality and comfort then i'd have no hesitation in buying it even if it was made by Tesco Value!

My main two basses are a MusicMan Stingray and a jazz standard, this is because when i did play them they were exactly what i wanted.
I really like their sounds, feel and reputation - also the fact that the players i love also use them was a big reason to heading in that direction.
They also were in the ballpark of the budget i had and were perfect for what i wanted.
I try not to think that i only bought them because of their brandname, but i can't hide the fact that they are both pretty big names.

When I was skint (ie; most of my playing career) I was happy playing any old piece of crap, and would have great fun modding it to destruction. Soon as I could afford it I bought the basses I wanted in my teens; the bass buzz for me is purely for playing live and I'm shallow enough to feel far more rock n' roll with a Rick or MusicMan on my hip - they happen to play and sound very nice too. If I were any sort of virtuoso I'd probably want a Ken Smith or Alembic, but I'm not, so I don't. Resale value has never been much of an issue as I'm so crap at selling.

Mind, I've wanted a Wal Mk1 custom fretless for close on the last 30 years after seeing a young Mick Karn, end of last year I actually had the chance on one, found I just couldn't get on with it as the neck was too clubby (I love a really low profile neck on a fretless) and decided to stick with my old and trusted Ovation Magnum. So my shallowness has a limit.

I bought my Zoot second hand as a way to get an exceptionally well-made bass for little cash. I tried a few Fenders but would never have bought them as they weren't better than my Squier (it had Barts in at the time), the Mex ones weren't as good as the Squier by quite a long shot

I buy basses that suit my playing style which look good that i can afford. I'm happy with a nice Jazz or a cheaper Warwick. However i think if i wanted a new Jazz bass i'd give Prosebass a call, certainly looks like he puts more pride into his work than a lot of bigger manufacturers. I've seen a fair bit of cost cutting on Fender stuff and it's put me off the brand. Not acceptable on a £700+ instrument IMO

Personally, I've gone off the heavy American basses and enjoy gigging the lighter Far East stuff. Easier to play, easier to swing about, great sound and better value

The gear snob thing is a bit of nonsense really when you consider a lot of great records were recorded using very average basses.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='444928' date='Mar 25 2009, 01:00 PM']However i think if i wanted a new Jazz bass i'd give Prosebass a call, certainly looks like he puts more pride into his work than a lot of bigger manufacturers.[/quote]
+1

Have thought that very same thing myself recently....

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='445467' date='Mar 25 2009, 09:42 PM']+1

Have thought that very same thing myself recently....[/quote]
Prosebass ( Paul ) does build to spec. and has some great design ideas. Give him a go for [b]any[/b] style of bass. It's worth it, trust me!
I own a P-bass lookalike and a complete one off based on the shape of a Westone thunder 1A with twin humbuckers.
Both sound, feel and play like big name instruments and look great to boot!
Paul is very approachable and his quotes are very reasonable for the amount of instrument you get.
I will be going back to Paul when I have enough money to get my dream bass built.

[quote name='Sean' post='444658' date='Mar 25 2009, 07:50 AM']Gibson? Big name? Maybe for guitars.

I wonder what Bassassin voted? :)[/quote]
O.K. Gibson may not be a massive name in basses but they did design the Thunderbird and they have two more types ( The SG and the Grabber ). Oh yeah and the EB! That's 4 designs....
I shall go and flog myself now!

Edited by pricechris10

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='444950' date='Mar 25 2009, 01:17 PM']Personally, I've gone off the heavy American basses and enjoy gigging the lighter Far East stuff. Easier to play, easier to swing about, great sound and better value

The gear snob thing is a bit of nonsense really when you consider a lot of great records were recorded using very average basses.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Theres many a Good Tune played on an Old (Japanese) Fiddle! :rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

My two current gigging basses are a Korean Aria passive 6 string (£140 Ebay) and an F Bass BN5 (Lots more from a long way away) Labels are not the issue. It's what you enjoy playing and if I can get it for £140, I will. I have a luthier built Jazz also. Lots of dosh but can't be arsed with it.