Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

Watched "Ennio the Maestro" yesterday and thought it was very good and interesting.

There was a lot about his musical studies and how he became what he did. I think it is fair to say he was not considered a prodigy by most of his tutors and his route to "greatness" was not straight forward. Two and a half hours well spent I thought. 

It was free on my national tv channel so I'm no sure where you'd watch it, but it looks like it may be on amazon prime. Also looks like it can be rented several places. 

Edited by HornetPinata
poor wording

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I thought it was the Tales of The Unexpected channel. 

Or the Queen channel, although they seem to have stopped showing every blo*dy Queen

concert for whole evenings just lately.

The Andre Rieu thing is unbelievably popular, but every time I’ve had the misfortune to see a clip

of any of the shows on Sky Arts they all seem exactly the same, just a different setting. The 

massive audiences must mean he’s minted! Good luck to him, he seems to have found a massive

market - seen adverts he’s doing a UK tour in 2024, with good tickets around the £150+ region.

Given the size of the orchestra I reckon that’s not bad when compared to ticket prices these days

for rock and pop bands with half a dozen musicians. Apparently a lot of people in the UK attend

his gigs in Europe on a regular basis too.

21 minutes ago, casapete said:

Or the Queen channel, although they seem to have stopped showing every blo*dy Queen

The Andre Rieu thing is unbelievably popular, but every time I’ve had the misfortune to see a clip

of any of the shows on Sky Arts they all seem exactly the same, just a different setting. The 

massive audiences must mean he’s minted! Good luck to him, he seems to have found a massive

market - seen adverts he’s doing a UK tour in 2024, with good tickets around the £150+ region.

Given the size of the orchestra I reckon that’s not bad when compared to ticket prices these days

for rock and pop bands with half a dozen musicians. Apparently a lot of people in the UK attend

Could be a new project for you, Pete - The Andre Rieu Experience…

And I’m on 10 per cent😂

Edited by Mickeyboro

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I had the pleasure of working very briefly with James Last. His management/legal team were also involved with Rieu. It looks like he has taken over that little niche. As with Last, he has a phenomenally devoted fanbase.

4 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

I had the pleasure of working very briefly with James Last. His management/legal team were also involved with Rieu. It looks like he has taken over that little niche. As with Last, he has a phenomenally

6 hours ago, casapete said:

market 

His smile is creepy

Edited by Cliff Edge

Interesting stuff on Sky Arts this evening (Saturday 2nd Dec)

6pm - Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott’s

8pm - The Who: Classic Albums ‘Who’s Next’

9pm onwards - The first 3 episodes of ‘Greatest Guitar Riffs’ series.

12.25am - Alice Cooper: Live at Montreux 2005

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched Respect on BBC2. Don't know if it will be on the iPlayer but highly recommended if it is. Jennifer Hudson as Aretha is excellent, the story absolutely heartbreaking, and a new star in the making, Skye Dakota Turner who played the young Aretha. Lovely references to Muscle Shoals, Jerry Wexler and the musicians. Loved it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Just watched Respect on BBC2. Don't know if it will be on the iPlayer but highly recommended if it is. Jennifer Hudson as Aretha is excellent, the story absolutely heartbreaking, and a new star in the making, Skye Dakota Turner who played the young Aretha. Lovely references to Muscle Shoals, Jerry Wexler and the musicians. Loved it 

I caught only a bit of it last night, but what I saw looked great.

It’s currently on iPlayer so going to fully watch it over the weekend. Sometimes the BBC only show

movies for a limited time on iPlayer so would recommend watching it soon if it’s of interest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...