Why become a member? ×

Compression confusion

Berserker

Hi,

Whenever I read up on essential pedals for bass, compressors are always near the top of the lists. I've tried a Spectracomp, Bass Preacher, Seymour Duncan and now Pigtronix compressors and I still can't really figure out how I'm supposed to use one! It usuall just makes my sound louder or quieter but I never notice a real tonal difference or anything. Many people say compressors make or break the sound so I know I must be using them wrong because I sound the same either way. I was thinking of trying one like the MXR with a meter so I at least know when it's doing something. 

Any tips on the best way to use one? I play mainly rock, fingers and pick, and I play pretty hard most of the time.

Thanks.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/compression-made-easy

But all I do with my 1 knob spectracomp control on my TC BH250 is play relatively quietly, and listen. My preference is about 9 or 10 oclock. Just thickens up the tone a bit without killing the dynamics.

Experts will be along soon to confuse you!

Edited by grandad
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Hi,

Whenever I read up on essential pedals for bass, compressors are always near the top of the lists.

They are by no means essential, not by a long chalk. If you've tried a few and haven't got anywhere pleasing with them then it's possible you don't need one in your setup.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

I love compression and my bass playing just doesn't feel right when playing without it.  But compression is a bit of a black art and depending on which flavour of compression is used it can sound as though nothing is happening when it's just the bass in isolation but play along with the band or even a backing track and it will make sense. Definitely do a bit of research into compression so that you understand what's going on, it'll help you to set one up so that it works better for you. Having said that, there's a lot of misconceptions about compression - some of which have been repeated on here and really don't achieve anything other than spreading fake news and adding further confusion to an already misunderstood subject. So maybe start with the link that Grandad posted above as Basschat isn't always a reliable source of 'truth' when it comes to compression* :D

*Unless it's been written by @51m0n in which case it is the unquestionable word of the God of Compression. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What is tricky with compression is that when you sit down gently practising it has a completely different effect from when you start to dig in at rehearsal/gig volumes.

/

"A completely different effect". What does it do?

Thanks for the info chaps, I'll experiment a bit more in a band setting once we're allowed!

I use compression when I mix music and have a reasonable understanding of what it's supposed to do, but never noticed much difference when playing.

11 hours ago, grandad said:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/compression-made-easy

But all I do with my 1 knob spectracomp control on my TC BH250 is play relatively quietly, and listen. My preference is about 9 or 10 oclock. Just thickens up the tone a bit without killing the dynamics.

Experts will be along soon to confuse you!

That’s pretty much my approach with my Spectracomp 1 knob pedal too, and I’m very happy with it.I looked at all the tone mapping options after plugging it into a MacBook and quickly unplugged it and went back to the default setting. All a bit too scary for me.

• Like 2

My advice if you really, REALLY want do understand compression:  find someone who is well-equipped with high quality compressors who can help you adjust a variety of comps tweaked to your style of playing. The best comps (regardless of price) are the ones where you have to work hard to make them sound bad. Unfortunately, it's far easier to make most garden variety compressors sound either bad or ineffective.

Thus, find out from someone who digs compression exactly what the fuss is all about. Learn. Then decide if you even need it, and how much you're willing to spend on the comp that gets you what you like.

Personally, my view of compression changed completely after doing some studio work, which prompted me to purchase an Emperical Labs EL8 Distressor (rackmount). Pricey, yes....but holy crap, it's a slap in the face lesson as to why "good compression" is worthy of the love affair some bassists attach to it...and I'm one.

That said, I'd rather have no compression than compression that doesn't meet my personal minimum threshold of tone/dynamics enhancement. Perhaps surprisingly (or not), this can even be found in a relatively inexpensive multi-fx pedal, though dialing it in to my liking is no trivial task. On the other hand, I owned a Fractal Audio AxeFxII for many years and had the darnedest time trying to dial that thing in. Go figure. Honestly, Any bassist who concludes they don't need compression can be considered fortunate.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have to concur with the majority, the fast track to compression doesn’t exist unless your best mate is a top class in demand session player who has gone through the card already.

Me, I wanted the Steely Dan Compression, to my ears, nothing less, in that search I’ve tried EBS, EWS,MXR (good), Keeley, EHX. The best for me was Keeley in-line after an MXR Pre, having failed in my search,  I was also swapping heads cabs and basses. What do I got now, single knob Spectracomp, which I am tailing with a noise gate. I dare say this might not suit my cloth ears and I will upgrade to whatever. That’s one of the gems of Basschat, you buy, you try, you sell, move on simples.

It’ll come to you Nigel, around the £125/£150 Mark 🤔🤗

Edited by Oldman

On 08/02/2021 at 06:56, jimfist said:

Any bassist who concludes they don't need compression can be considered fortunate

FOH is going to dump compression on you if they feel like it, whether you like it or not.

My sound is already fairly compressed thanks to the BDDI set to overdrive when I dig in. I heard them riding my fader at the last gig so I guess they didn't compress it or couldn't compress it enough to catch up with our ability to play ppp as well as fff without shagging the tone.