Why become a member? ×

Losing interest in playing music

megallica

yeah don't worry, it happens from time to time... are you in a band? if you're not, start one, if you are maybe start something different on the side? when the band i'd been in for years folded i pretty much didn't play for about a year and a half and i had no desire to. but now i've started a new band its got me all excited about playing again, and of course its got me gassing for (and buying!) new equipment!

[quote name='megallica' post='441546' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:16 AM']Over the last couple of years I've started to lose my interest in playing music

I still love listening to music but I pick up my bass less and less every month

Has anyone on the boards had this same lack of interest?[/quote]

I wouldn't get up up tight about it. Maybe you'll get it back, maybe you won't. I used to be a keen cyclist and then I discovered cake and sitting on my arse all day. Things change!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='441570' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:49 AM']I wouldn't get up up tight about it. Maybe you'll get it back, maybe you won't. I used to be a keen cyclist and then I discovered cake and sitting on my arse all day. Things change!![/quote]
mmmm.. cake!
Essential bass player material! :)

Hope the enthusiasm returns, Megallica.. it all sometimes goes in fits and starts. +1 to the comments above.. sometimes even just hearing the right piece of music does it.

I've kind of got this problem. Just finding it hard to get in a decent band. I'm also tired of getting together with muso's who like the idea of being in a band but can't be bothered to learn the tunes so they sound OK when you get together for rehearsal. Very frustrating.

If you've lost interest then quit and do something else. Music will still be here when you get back. Life is too short, do something that does interest you.

But if you've only lost motivation then that's a different kettle...

You've got to figure out what's going on in your head. Is this something you want to do but can't be arsed (lack of inspiration, energy, commitment etc.) or something you actually don't want to be doing at all anymore.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Johngh' post='441749' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:33 PM']I'm also tired of getting together with muso's who like the idea of being in a band but can't be bothered to learn the tunes so they sound OK when you get together for rehearsal. Very frustrating.[/quote]
+1

Thanks for all the honest responses - I've bought a few different basses recently to try and relight my enthusiasm (five string and a fretless) and they haven't really helped

I just left my band a week ago 'cos it was becoming too much of an effort to go and practice

Maybe a break away from jamming regularly will help

Im with lozbass on this one--cpuldnt bear bullshit with egos in bands and much prefer to doodle on my own---Im sure a band would help with chops but sometimes its best to take a break and not listen/play for a while--it feels fresher when you return to it

Hey.

This happened with me at one point.
I was/am going through a bad patch with anxiety, and it got so bad that i cant and still dont play in a band anymore, even though it was my most favorite thing ever to do.

just completely lost motivation when it come to playing bass and a lot of things.

What really got me back into things is going to see billy sheehan again live, just really got me back into it all, sometimes people just need an extra push.
so yeah :) try and get yourself back into the music scene, by just going along to gigs, they can be very inspiring :rolleyes:

Z
x

Some good responses here - can't really add much 'cept to say - leave it alone for a bit & try concentrating on listening / watching / analysing bass lines in an attempt to find something that motivates you again. Maybe something really different like Arabic or Eastern music? Good luck

Same boat for me recently......

Just the last few weeks I've found it really hard to motivate myself to pick up the bass and have stopped listening to music too (which is a first :) )

I've worked out that it's one (or more) of a few things -

There has been two major upheavals in band lineup over the last four months, so there's a lot of work to do and unconciously I'm probably waiting for the next band member to s0d off when we have a number of gigs booked.

I've gone from being the most proficient on my instrument to the least with all the lineup changes, so unconsciously I am disheartened by a steep learning curve or just plain don;t feel good enough.

I am forty next month and big birthdays always make me feel I have to make changes in who I am (which never last and within a year or two I'm the same old me).

GAS - it winds me up to the point where I just lose interest in whatever subject I'm gassing about (again gets better in a few months).

Not sure that's of any interest to anyone, but I feel better for getting it off my chest.

[quote name='clauster' post='442273' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:46 AM']There has been two major upheavals in band lineup over the last four months, so there's a lot of work to do and unconciously I'm probably waiting for the next band member to s0d off when we have a number of gigs booked.[/quote]
I think its hard to keep the interest when it becomes more of a chore rather than a fun hobby, if that makes sense?

Z
x