Why become a member? ×

Pedalboards - Warwick Rockboard vs...?

Al Krow

Currently have a Metro 24 and wishing that it had just a bit more clearance to fit anything but the flattest of power units underneath.

Saw @Kev's Warwick RockboardTres3.1 recently and thought it looked really good - although not sure I would want to fork out for the Mod 3 unit and it might look a little odd without it in place.

image.png.ceb58b8304c1ed07604393f4dabb4e43.png

What else is out there that folk are using and can highly recommend that have moved things on from the PT Classic Jr rail format?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like the Warwick boards. A bit heavier than the pt but I think the versatility of placing pedals anywhere is great. 

I haven't used any others, looked at temple boards, Schmidt array, alder and ash, and thinks like Morton pedal boards, but I keep coming back to Warwick and pedal train. I like the pitch and the simplicity and the cost effectiveness and hard wearing nature. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Oh also, I've no experience, but I've heard some users reference noise introduction with the Warwick patchbays, which has always led me away from those as a solution, even though they look really neat. 

Not experienced that, not even sure where any noise could come from.  There is nothing to them really, just hardwired sockets. 

Ultimately, there is nothing about the MOD that I NEED, it just makes life easier.  Thomann reduced it to £20 so I just grabbed it.  The boards look fine without one though 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Not experienced that, not even sure where any noise could come from.  There is nothing to them really, just hardwired sockets. 

Ultimately, there is nothing about the MOD that I NEED, it just makes life easier.  Thomann reduced it to £20 so I just grabbed it.  The boards look fine without one though 👍🏻

£20 for the Mod 3?!! I thought it was usually nearer £70 - no wonder you snapped that up! 

Tres3.1 board and softcase currently £80 inc P&P which is pretty much exactly the same as the PT Classic Jr.

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

£20 for the Mod 3?!! I thought it was usually nearer £70 - no wonder you snapped that up! 

Tres3.1 board and softcase currently £80 inc P&P which is pretty much exactly the same as the PT Classic Jr.

For some reason Thomann always had them much lower than other shops anyway, think it was £43 before...

DIY.

Two slabs of ply for shelves.

Another slab of ply cut across at an angle makes two feet. They don't have to be exact mirror images. Flip one over and align the top and bottom. The closer you got to exactly cutting mirrored pieces the closer the ends will match. Trim the ends.

Now cut in the lower shelf rests parallel to the bottom. Now you have an angled top shelf with heaps of room under for power supply. By having it at an angle and the bottom one flat you get an extremely rigid structure with 4 screws each side.

56 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

DIY.

Two slabs of ply for shelves.

Another slab of ply cut across at an angle makes two feet. They don't have to be exact mirror images. Flip one over and align the top and bottom. The closer you got to exactly cutting mirrored pieces the closer the ends will match. Trim the ends.

Now cut in the lower shelf rests parallel to the bottom. Now you have an angled top shelf with heaps of room under for power supply. By having it at an angle and the bottom one flat you get an extremely rigid structure with 4 screws each side.

And then what about the gig bag for the board? 

Edited by Al Krow

My bad it’s just I thought you had your eye in the GT1000Core then their new synth SYB100? with a view to making a fully pumped up synth bass with GK pick up. In my defence you were very enthusiastic about the core and upgraded synth and I thought you already had a boss looper. 

It is hard to keep up so forgive me if I’m a chip set or two behind the times. 😀

Edited by krispn

I had a Gator board that was heavy as hell, made of ply and I velcro'd a Caline power supply underneath, since sold on to guitarist. 

Other guitarist is a gear snob, but he uses a Donner pedal board. Looks like the pedal train type things but it's dirt cheap on Amazon and comes with a nice bag. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I've been doing my usual procrastinating before taking the jump, partly to delay the inevitable pedal buying splurge that follows, like night the day, getting a larger pedal board. Particularly if I end up keeping one of my smaller boards! 

My revelation for the day is that a HB Spaceship 60 with hard case is pretty much the same size as a Pedaltrain Classic 1 with 'tour' case (the HB 60 board is, if anything, slightly bigger). But the HB board is HALF the price (even with VAT added and transport costs etc)!!! What am I missing? 

With the saving I can get a HB Iso-12 Pro which has 12 isolated outputs, slim format to fit underneath the board, and puts out 3 Amps. I've had really good experience, so far, with its little sibling the Iso-5 Pro, which is sitting snugly under my current small board. 

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The joys of saving heaps by slicing up a small plywood chunk into pieces and screwing together a rock solid board.

Indeed

I used spare kitchen units, door stops for feet, even old vinyl floor tiles for covering etc - rock solid, cheap as chips

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The joys of saving heaps by slicing up a small plywood chunk into pieces and screwing together a rock solid board.

Hah! And going on a metalwork course, to get a little hardcase put together. I'll take that under advisement, cheers 😁

15 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Opshop suitcase / school bag / cheap backpack to suit.

That's cheating. A bit like saving money buying used. No metalwork course it is...

And the real saving is gonna be from not splurging out on additional pedals that will inevitably result as a consequence of having a larger pedal board with more space on it, while I get my wood-working and metalwork skills up to speed 😁