Jump to content
iamtheelvy

NBD: Fender JMJ Road Worn Mustang

Recommended Posts

So yeah, playing around with this today... It’s lacking a few inches off my other basses (feels really tiny!), but not missing any bottom end! 

I’m not big fan of signature instruments, or ‘relic’d’ basses really, but this one has excellent specs that I believe outweigh its price tag. Plus, Fender and Justin Meldal-Johnsen haven’t done any silly faffing with the concept. JMJ’s just got a really nice Mustang that they’ve cloned...

Bit of a nervous wait for delivery (have always picked out an instrument in person before, but that’s really not an option right now...), but no major issues identified from its transit! Will need to have a look into some shielding paint/foil to counter 60-cycle hum at some point, but that seems to be fairly typical of these instruments.
 

 

0E0B9CCF-E7D9-4ADE-851D-7107E7A1BDF3.jpeg

15DDCFA5-DE13-4575-8AF6-0FC8F727714C.jpeg

4A831D07-0D16-4800-AFC4-D23F28587ECF.jpeg

7F4E6347-BC7C-4095-92B5-F261752D4F5C.jpeg

AAD48D8F-B3F7-4243-A9A0-86142B469BEC.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats. I want one of these having played one quite a bit when such a thing was permissible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Congrats. I want one of these having played one quite a bit when such a thing was permissible.

It was a bit of a blind buy, as I had no choice but to order online, but been doing a fair bit of recording where a flat wound-strung short scale was the sound I was aiming for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gareth said:

Get a precision

This gets surprisingly close, but has its own thing going on. Bit more of a mid-mid punch, rather than the low-mid tone of the P-bass.

Plus, I already have a Precision... 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, iamtheelvy said:

This gets surprisingly close, but has its own thing going on. Bit more of a mid-mid punch, rather than the low-mid tone of the P-bass.

Plus, I already have a Precision... 🙂

Yes certainly gets nearer than a Musicmaster - a squier vista gets even closer with a proper 4 pole pup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these for a while and agree about the build quality. Believe it or not, I actually struggled with a shorter scale and for some reason I had visions of me looking like George Formby playing his Ukulele, but I certainly enjoyed it. 

All that said, he was a great boxer and we had one of his grills that we used for quite a long time. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I had one of these for a while and agree about the build quality. Believe it or not, I actually struggled with a shorter scale and for some reason I had visions of me looking like George Formby playing his Ukulele, but I certainly enjoyed it. 

All that said, he was a great boxer and we had one of his grills that we used for quite a long time. 

Like this?

CB12190E-911C-474E-A9BE-C97A996FB9BE.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2020 at 16:49, iamtheelvy said:

So yeah, playing around with this today... It’s lacking a few inches off my other basses (feels really tiny!), but not missing any bottom end! 

I’m not big fan of signature instruments, or ‘relic’d’ basses really, but this one has excellent specs that I believe outweigh its price tag. Plus, Fender and Justin Meldal-Johnsen haven’t done any silly faffing with the concept. JMJ’s just got a really nice Mustang that they’ve cloned...

Bit of a nervous wait for delivery (have always picked out an instrument in person before, but that’s really not an option right now...), but no major issues identified from its transit! Will need to have a look into some shielding paint/foil to counter 60-cycle hum at some point, but that seems to be fairly typical of these instruments.
 

 

0E0B9CCF-E7D9-4ADE-851D-7107E7A1BDF3.jpeg

15DDCFA5-DE13-4575-8AF6-0FC8F727714C.jpeg

4A831D07-0D16-4800-AFC4-D23F28587ECF.jpeg

7F4E6347-BC7C-4095-92B5-F261752D4F5C.jpeg

AAD48D8F-B3F7-4243-A9A0-86142B469BEC.jpeg

That looks fantastic. I love the look of the black JMJs. Just looks like a cool vintage Mustang rather than an obvious signature model. 

I did some home recording earlier this evening with my regular MiJ Mustang bass and it sounded ace. A great companion to a P bass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Just out of curiosity, how much weight do those Hipshot tuners save over the regular Fender ones?

Wouldn't have a clue I'm afraid... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 21:50, MoonBassAlpha said:

Just out of curiosity, how much weight do those Hipshot tuners save over the regular Fender ones?

This bass has a slightly ‘thicker’ headstock so any gains made from lighter tuners might be offset but the thicker headstock. I’ve a jmj and it’s a cracking wee bass not just sound wise but the feel, build quality and components all add up to make a great bass irrespective of who’s name or brand is on the headstock. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2021 at 13:26, Fishman said:

How does this differ from a Japan Mustang?

My 2013 MIJ Mustang has a 7.25” neck radius, smallish frets, and none of the Hipshot hardware that the JMJ has.

I believe the JMJ has a thicker neck and headstock, lollipop tuners, 9.5” radius neck and medium jumbo frets, as well as Seymour Duncan p/ups (could be wrong tho).

Plus of course JMJs are reliced (presumably with nitro paint jobs) whereas my MIJ is a straightforward poly paint job. 

Similar, but different enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the JMJ is based off a 60’s Mustang. I know very little about Mustangs other than my jmj is a cracking wee bass. It’ll do a lot of the p bass type stuff and loves a bit of synth and sub stuff. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

Looks ace, don't see many black ones.

Any bridge issues?

No, nothing so far. Being playing around for a month or so now. Only issue is quite a lot of hum. I’m getting some shielding foil soon and will open it up to shield the cavities and check out the grounding in the next couple of weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iamtheelvy said:

No, nothing so far. Being playing around for a month or so now. Only issue is quite a lot of hum. I’m getting some shielding foil soon and will open it up to shield the cavities and check out the grounding in the next couple of weeks.

Looks ace, I have been tempted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2021 at 14:52, Fil1ip said:

Looks ace, don't see many black ones.

Any bridge issues?

They can have an issue with losing the A string intonation screw - mine did and I've read others have had the same experience; maybe something to do with the factory set up?  Easy enough fix (FMJ sent me some spares) but just make sure it's seated far enough into the saddle.

Mine's been ok for hum, no different to my now departed MIJ Mustang.

 

Mustang Bridge.jpg

Edited by martthebass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also some info about the holes on the bridge for the string thru looking like crescent moons but that’s supposed to be quite normal when placing the bridge. Apologies if already covered it just came to me as I was reading this latest post

Edited by krispn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep coming back to this thread just to drool at the black JMJ Mustang 🤤 it’s a beauty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a bit of shielding work today. Bit of a messy job (first time needing to do this!), but seems to have done the trick. Minimal buzzing now. 

92E15150-44D2-4DD3-A6B5-9CF1FA6A7117.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By Higgie
      Barely used and as new, Fender Rumble 800 head. £420+postage, or can be collected from Brentwood.

    • By papaya
      Up for sale my two 2019 American Pro P basses, 1180£ each.
      Upgrades: Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups (original V Mod pickups included), Luminlay blue side dots, one extra WD Music pickguard.
      Condition: sunburst - 10/10; olive green - 9.8/10.
      Any questions, please feel free to ask!
      Thanks, J
      PS.: necks are swapped on the garden picture!













    • By TomWIC
      Had my eye on one of these for years now, but either found them too hard to come by or out of my price range. And then one gets posted on an online guitar raffle site (I won’t post the name just so it doesn’t look like I’m promoting them but I’m happy to say which one by PM).
      I’ve bought tickets for various draws over the past couple of months but never had any luck. Was all prepared to give up and then I go and win this bloody beauty! Absolutely over the moon with it, it’s beautiful and a dream to play and so light!
      I just need to make the tricky decision to restring and set it up for either Drop A# or Drop C!

    • By SurroundedByManatees
      Fender Coronado Bass ll 
      Very nice example of a Wildwood ll Coronado Bass, made in early 1968 (neck dated Jan 18th). It's a true beauty with a rare highly flamed maple neck and lollipop tuners. The bass appears to be all original and is in very good shape for its age. It has finish checking around and some small damages, but nothing significant. 












      The Coronado has been setup with tapewounds which suit the bass very well. It can do some vintage sounds as well as some more punchy modern tones. It sounds great when played with either fingers or pick. 
      A sturdy epiphone hardcase is included in the sale. 
      Asking €3.250
      As for trades/partial trades I am mainly interested in a good precision (everything between a vintage Fender or better Japanese copy, good Squier...), old Music Man Sabre (walnut preffered), ampeg v4(b) amp, nice Fender strat or (vintage) offset guitar.... 
      I am located in the Netherlands, but am happy to ship at buyers risk..
    • By blackdixon
      Price drop now: £2000

      Fender Custom Shop Jazz in Olympic White 2011.
      Made in the USA. Comes with black G&G fender case, pickup/ bridge covers, fender strap and docs. Fender Relic - Very cool cellulose checking.
      Sounds fantastic, sorry to see her go but moving from J to P

      Would consider an exchange for a Custom Shop Relic Precision 59-60 (preferably custom colour) or maybe a lightweight 70's original.


      Cheers Andy












×
×
  • Create New...