Why become a member? ×

Reject bodies and necks...thoughts?!

donslow

So, bee in my bonnet for a new project led to searching for some bits I stumbled upon this website

https://www.boobooguitars.co.uk

Selling “rejected” bodies, blanks and necks at silly low prices got me wondering, would the odd knot here and there bother me if I went for staining or translucent finishes?!

still undecided but then also wondering, do knots and imperfections of the like cause stability issues?!

I've no idea!

What’s the general feeling among the basschat massive on these kinds of things?

• Like 1

They don't have any necks in stock at the moment, so it's difficult to say for those, although my gut feeling would be to avoid any necks with more than cosmetic faults.

The bodies are definitely worth considering. However a there doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation between the price and the extent of the problems. There's a particularly nasty Strat looking body that is more expensive than some with seemingly less acute problems?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

They don't have any necks in stock at the moment, so it's difficult to say for those, although my gut feeling would be to avoid any necks with more than cosmetic faults.

We have the same gut feeling so it would appear, reject necks, although probably useable, I would wager that more often than not COULD be hiding some nasty surprises 

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

I see with the bodies you can buy a 100mm x100mm wooden repair block for an extra £3.50... assumes you have a router handy.

I assumed that was a standard “let’s put this on all items and if you need it, it’s there” kind of deal

As long as the centre line from the neck to the bridge is good, that's all that matters. The rest is purely cosmetic. 

Yeah yeah strap pins, but the wood has to be seriously compromised to not be able to mount a strap pin. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I see a pretty serious problem with the 51 slab bodies.

The control cavity is great for a split coil P-bass but completely wrong for a single coil, this is how it should look.

689797463_51Pbass.gif.12758d02dbc76c5abcf6e1c80ac81c6d.gif

Is this not the same/similar?

https://www.boobooguitars.co.uk/collections/bass-bodies/products/pb-body-514699

On 10/11/2020 at 15:27, Paul S said:

What would constitute a lightweight body for a bass, to then add a neck, electrics and hardware and come all in at, say, 3.6kg?

Asking for a friend.....

2kg absolute max - depends what neck you pop on of course as well as tuners etc

That is after you have shaped and routed it etc.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Thanks 1