Why become a member? ×

Help choosing the right cab........

spyder

Hi Basschatters.

I'm no stranger to the vast choice of cabs available on the market both past and present but I'm having real trouble finding a light weight cab that sounds deep and mellow like an old school heavyweight 1x15.

I'm using a Jack Casady Bass with flats into a Stoneham valve amp.

I've recently ordered and returned a few light weight cabs. Each were an easy under 20kg lift and varied between 1x12 to 4x8.

Unfortunately the sound was very boxy with horrible honky mids and no deep bass to speak of.

As soon as I plug the amp through large studio or hifi speakers I get that mellow honkless sound deep bass sound back.

Is there such a thing as an under 25kg cab that sounds controlled, goes deep and does not honk?

Thanks....

TC RS210 (21kg) - It isn't a '15' but research will show that speaker diameter increase doesn't necessarily mean increase in bass.

I have a pair of these (used with Handbox WB100 valve amp) and they give me a full, fat, deep yet punchy tone.  I've had plenty of experience with that honky/boxy sound and I hate it!  

image.jpeg.282463fa0cadb2dcc6cebc88d1bf586f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

TC RS210 (21kg) - It isn't a '15' but research will show that speaker diameter increase doesn't necessarily mean increase in bass.

I have a pair of these (used with Handbox WB100 valve amp) and they give me a full, fat, deep yet punchy tone.  I've had plenty of experience with that honky/boxy sound and I hate it!  

image.jpeg.282463fa0cadb2dcc6cebc88d1bf586f.jpeg

I never considered TC before but it could be a good choice................. I hate honky boxy sound.

55 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Be aware the RS range (2x10 1x12 2x12 4x10 or 1x15) are the ones I'm talking about; I've tried other TC cabs (cheaper) and they are not a patch.  

Thank you.

The 1x15 could be just the right cab.

That mellow, deep sound is traditionally the product of a lot of drivers, with plenty of surface area and in a decent sized cab' (or cabs) working well within their capabilities. It may be a poor analogy, but think a big V8 cruising effortlessly at 70 mph vs a turbo charged, highly stressed one litre engine propelling the same vehicle at the same speed. You've certainly got the amp for it, but one or two small lightweight cabs are not going to give you that sound, unless you spend serious money (Barefaced, Fearless et al). Not at any volume at any rate. If I was in your position, I'd take the amp to a decent shop and spend some time trying out the options. Someone is (or was) selling a Fearless 112 in the Market Place. It looks mint. If I wasn't happy with what I have, I'd have bought it.

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

That mellow, deep sound is traditionally the product of a lot of drivers, with plenty of surface area and in a decent sized cab' (or cabs) working well within their capabilities. It may be a poor analogy, but think a big V8 cruising effortlessly at 70 mph vs a turbo charged, highly stressed one litre engine propelling the same vehicle at the same speed. You've certainly got the amp for it, but one or two small lightweight cabs are not going to give you that sound, unless you spend serious money (Barefaced, Fearless et al). Not at any volume at any rate. If I was in your position, I'd take the amp to a decent shop and spend some time trying out the options. Someone is (or was) selling a Fearless 112 in the Market Place. It looks mint. If I wasn't happy with what I have, I'd have bought it.

I have my eye on that Fearless 112.

My Barefaced Super Twin (2x12) is marginally bigger than my old Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1x15, weighs marginally more than a postage stamp (my 7 year old daughter can lift it), and underneath an SVT-2 Pro is the full, fat bass tone that was always in my head. None of the other cabs I've used have given me that tone, and that's everything from Ampeg, Bag End, Boogie, Fender, Mark Bass, PJB, and loads more I forget, and in just about every combination of speakers. They come up used on this forum occasionally, and even new are well worth the price. I know what you mean about small boxes sounding boxy, that's my experience also, there's no point compromising on cabs when the rest of you gear is quality :)

• Like 2

If you want "old school" then maybe one of the Barefaced Two 10 would be your thing.

I have a pair of Barefaced One 10s and I think they must sound similar to a single two 10?  Anyway, they are superb sounding cabs and LOUD, if that's what you need.  No boxy sound at all.  Full, deep, thumping and warm sounding and featherweight. Not cheap, but worth the money.

Frank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

https://www.grbass.com/cabinet-carbon-fiber/

I have a 210 and 112 and really like them. They do a 115, but haven't tried it. I have had various BF cabs for the last ten years and they were good, but I'm liking these more and they're even lighter.

They look great, unfortunately they cost to much for a non working house husband.😭

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, spyder said:

They look great, unfortunately they cost to much for a non working house husband.😭

Just a thought if money is tight - a generation 1 or 2 Barefaced Compact could be your thing.  I had one from new for about 6/7 years.  They sound superb.  Never boxy.  15" Emminence speaker fitted and very lightweight.

I think they're changing hands now for around £300.  I don't think there's anything to beat it at that price.

Frank.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 17:37, spyder said:

I have my eye on that Fearless 112.

One of the very best cabs I've had the privilege to own and play and certainly right up there in the top bracket of 112s. On for a very good price too! - I'm tempted to get it to pair with my existing F112, but I really can't justify it. 

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

One of the very best cabs I've had the privilege to own and play and certainly right up there in the top bracket of 112s. On for a very good price too! - I'm tempted to get it to pair with my existing F112, but I really can't justify it. 

Oh ... 

Cab update.

Barefaced.

TC RS212.

Fearless F112.

The list gets bigger. 😒

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

It really is difficult and you'll need to try them as I've tried a couple of Barefaced cabs in the past and they will be tonally 'nothing' like the TC RS212.  :/

This is the problem.... How to try them.

I can only afford second hand so I have to buy and sell it on if I don't get on with it.

6 minutes ago, spyder said:

I can only afford second hand so I have to buy and sell it on if I don't get on with it.

Nothing to stop you going somewhere like Bass Direct and trying a few. There's no law that says you have to buy when you visit.

14 minutes ago, spyder said:

I'm sure there must be bassists in your area using BF and/or TC that could let you try?  

Problem is that we all have a different take on tone, it isn't quantifiable and it is very personal.  Folks will 'generally' promote what they use (I am).  Throwing it out there, I could give examples of a couple of more cabs that I think are as good as those discussed (not the ones I use) and that will give you 'old school'... depending on budget.   ;)

*edit*

Actually what's wrong with buying a used cab, trying it and selling if you don't like it?  :)  

I could buy a used TC 212 tonight (locally) that would set me back £225 (with cover), I bet I could sell it for that if I didn't like it.  ;)

Edited by warwickhunt