Geek99

Underrated ...

Bruce Foxton, his basslines were very melodic and much of the time he was singing backing vocals as well. However he was working with “genius” Paul Weller so people seemed to overlook Bruce.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Tony Butler (Big Country) - at least he's got a signature model,  though. 

He's also a damn fine human being, has been to the SW Bass bash and is a really nice fella 👍

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 1

Yes! What a lovely man TB is, down to earth and humble, and thankful for the musical life he's enjoyed. 

• Like 1

I’d go Colin Greenwood. I think he’s underrated by Radiohead even as he’s generally pretty low in the mix.

He’s no virtuoso but I think he picks the right notes at the right times, can groove, and if you listen to something like jigsaw falling in to place, it’s a pretty inventive bass line for that chord progression, the ghost notes work really well.

I think many in the extreme metal genre are underrated- that the bass isn't very prominent in the mix (or rather, blends perfectly to make guitars sound huge) belies that the playing is very accomplished.

Krist Novoselic from Nirvana, perhaps? Cobain obviously pulls focus, and Dave Grohl is/was a very well respected drummer, but Novoselic really played a big role in the juggernaut of sound the band made, which I think often goes unrecognised.

I wonder if Roger Waters might even make the list? He may or may not have tracked on some of the albums, and he may well be a very difficult man to be around, but he held his own for many years cerainly playing live. He really can't have been a poor a player as he is sometimes made out to be.

Roly Wynne early Ozrics for me if it was him and not Ed on the recordings. Taken to soon. Apparently he taught a lot to Stu Zender aswell. 

• Like 1

Paul Gray from The Damned and Eddie and the Hot Rods. I love his bass lines and he so rarely gets a mention. Seems like a really nice chap too. 

Not so much under-rated as completely erased from the bands history.

Doug Yule - The Velvet Underground.

He replaced John Cale, and supplied some cracking basslines.... but is never mentioned in VU history.