Why become a member? ×

New bass recommendations?

Zampa

Evening..

I currently have an Ibanez SR300 and I fancy treating myself to a new guitar, a Tanglewood TE4 Alpha has caught my eye as its around my budget. I don't have much of a clue about specs to be honest, other than preferring, Jazz bass (for the thinner neck) passive pick ups, a nice smooth deep sound, long scale and something comfortable.

Firstly, is the Tanglewood a worthy upgrade?

Secondly, any other recommendations around the 300 pound mark?...new or used

I want to buy from a shop because I want to put the Ibanez in as part/x, I cant be doing with poncing about trying to sell stuff on ebay/gum tree etc

Also, Fender Squiers have been suggested?

I'm only a casual player/learner who just loves to discovers new stuff and improve as best as I can..the days of dreaming about playing live are long gone! 🙁

Thanks

Edited by Zampa

SR300 are great basses.

I reckon your best bet would be to Invest in a good set up and try some new strings on your Ibanez.

I had a very early 2000's Ibanez SR500  and it was fantastically sensitive to the strings I put on it. Feeling and sounding awful with nickel 45-105s, bland with stainless Elites 40-100, better with stainless elites 35-95 and absolutely incredible with Thomastik jazz flats.  

£300 would get you something different, but not necessarily "better".

If your heart is set on a new bass Second hand would definitely be the way to go, but sadly options will be limited at shops and trade in on your bass wouldn't be a huge sum.

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodwind said:

SR300 are great basses.

I reckon your best bet would be to Invest in a good set up and try some new strings on your Ibanez.

I had a very early 2000's Ibanez SR500  and it was fantastically sensitive to the strings I put on it. Feeling and sounding awful with nickel 45-105s, bland with stainless Elites 40-100, better with stainless elites 35-95 and absolutely incredible with Thomastik jazz flats.  

£300 would get you something different, but not necessarily "better".

If your heart is set on a new bass Second hand would definitely be the way to go, but sadly options will be limited at shops and trade in on your bass wouldn't be a huge sum.

Top advice there. A set up can make a massive difference. I think I'd been playing for about ten years before I'd even heard of a set up but once you've had a good set up you'll never go back. Think of it as having a service on your car, the way it drives and sounds much smoother after all the filters and fluids are changed. Changing strings can completely change the character of your bass too, but don't just think if the sound think of the feel, it's a very personal thing so be prepared to experiment. People on here sometimes sell second hand strings after trying them out for a few mins so could be easy to try a few sets. 

• Like 3

Keep the Ibanez, it`s one of the best basses in it`s price range. Tanglewood are not know for great basses. Apart from that you will be lucky to get around £80 for the Ibby. Shops will only give you half of what they can sell the bass for. I know you say you don`t want the hassle of selling but depending on condition, you could get £130 ish.

Another shout for Yamaha BB, at the price point you are looking at, it is a very strong contender. Buy one s/hand from here and you won`t go wrong. Or buy a new BB 234 from the shops.

• Like 1

+ another viz Tanglewood comments. I swear by Cort. They make high quality sub £500 basses under their own brand as well as under the Ibanez, Squier, G & L Schecter, Sterling SUB names. As the 'Cort' name doesn't have the cachet of famous brands you get a lot more bang for your buck. I've got a GB 74 'J' type, a B4FL fretless and more recently an Action DLX AS which I got for £329. 

check out the spec here

https://www.musiccentre.co.uk/product/cort-action-deluxe-dlx-as-open-pore-natural

• Like 2

As you don't say you are looking to "upgrade" regards electronics, types of wood, sound quality brand name etc, then I guess you are just after something that appeals visually and might just feel a bit different and maybe more inspiring in your hands.

I would say if you can, try out the Tanglewood Alpha then do so as it may just be the right instrument for you regardless of cost, brand etc. Personally I think they make really decent basses, the Alpha has a nice shape to it, and  certainly the old Warrior basses they made are of very good quality. I've had loads of basses and I would much rather have a lesser known brand that just feels and looks great  and makes me happy than just going for something that just has the name behind it but doesn't really make me want to pick it up.

Edited by Bleat
  • Like 1

Many thanks for all the comments, thats given me a lot more to think about.👍

I initially brought the Ibanez because of its famed thin neck, I had an acoustic guitar years ago with quite a wide neck that my big hands struggled with, with that in mind, I got it into my head that I 'had' to get a bass with a thin neck...overlooking the thinner the neck, the closer the strings....I also watched a lot of YT clips, everyone seemed to have 6 inch long fingers that they could spread over 6 frets!

Regarding set ups, I have a fender rumble amp..and a big muff peddle, which doesn't seem to do anything but boost the sound...I use flat wound strings as I played with a grip of death originally..they avoided that 'wang' sound.

• Like 1