Why become a member? ×

Lending your gear out

Jono Bolton

My policy is now a NO Loaning one. I dont even allow support acts to use my rig..........should it blow, then my gig is knackered. It seems hard to tell people but Ive never turned up for a gig without gear and never would expect to use other rigs, I know my tone and carry my gear accordingly.

[/quote]

+1 Harsh to some but my policy too.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='434632' date='Mar 14 2009, 03:47 PM']I'm all for cab sharing, the places I've played in are usually too small to fit 3 or four sets of cabs and heads. Head sharing is a no though.

No. Plus she bats for the other team. Plus I have a girlfriend, who if she were to read this would not be best pleased that I left that piece of info til last.

Think the issue is resolved though. Explained that in the flat is fine, but it's not leaving the flat unless I'm present. Also mentioned that the P may soon be on its way out and the Jazz will have to go for a new nut soon, so she'll need to sort out her own gear.[/quote]

Even better maybe you could get a 4 way thing going,you the bass and the 2 girls! Dont believe that riding the other bus nonsense.

With the amount of money ive had to spend getting my rig up and running, sharing is a BIG no no unless its my best mate, who treats it as though its his own (in a good way)...il only let people use my cabs if its a small venue and theres alot of bands on...But my rack, effects unit and basses are off limits (i.e. they stay in locking hard cases until i warm up).

get your flatmate to look at some of the bargains going off on here! id have killed to get some of the gear in the for sale section when i was starting out...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43811"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43811[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33416"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33416[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33416"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33416[/url]

[quote name='51m0n' post='434661' date='Mar 14 2009, 03:41 PM']Whenever I walk away from my rig I pocket the fuses. I take my bass in its gig bag everywhere.

Whenever anyone says 'Can I have a go' I say 'Sorry, no'. The inevitable 'Why? Oh go on!' is responded to with 'Put 7 grand in my hand right now and you can have a go, anything happens to any of my gear at all and I pocket all the cash' shuts them up.[/quote]

You're gonna be great fun at a Bass Bash! :)

Just joking, the Bashes are a different environment, and I've never seen any disrespect to anyones gear.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='434281' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:47 PM']Anyone got any nice big heads/cabs I can blag for Cardiff on the 20th? More the merrier, and when I say 'merrier', I don't mean 'merrier', I mean 'doomier'. Hoping for some 15s, that way I can run 18, 15, 12 and 10, enough mixed drivers to implode the world.[/quote]

You can borrow my C rig: My loaner Peavey 300 combo :) It has a 15 ...

I got that 'cos
-A it's damn fine piece of kit,
- B it sounds awsome and is loud enough for pub gigs with a drummer and two loud guitarists.
- C it looks so terrible that no one is likely to think it's any good, RatBike stylee
- D it was very cheap
- E I can offer an alternative to people asking to borrow my proper stuff.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='434633' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:50 PM']In a flat with 2 girls (flatmate and girlfriend), it's pretty ironic that I'm the only one who does any cleaning...[/quote]

Ha ha rather old fashioned and sexist remark there Jono :)

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='433901' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:00 PM']My flatmate has recently volunteered her services as a bass player to a friend of ours, despite the fact that she doesn't own a bass. As you can see from my sig, I own some fairly decent (IMO) gigging bass equipment, having been playing for the past 12 years or so.

So far my flatmate has been practicing on my Jazz in the flat, but now wants to start taking it round to our friends flat for rehearsals and eventually use it for gigging.

I've yet to question her about it as it's not been a problem so far, but I'm fairly sure she said she would play bass on the assumption that she could use my gear as and when she pleases, as I'm not currently gigging.

Am I being selfish if I refuse to continue letting her use my stuff? It's fine in the flat but I'm not really happy with my stuff being taken away for gigs/prectices. It's quite quiet folky music she's playing so it's unlikely there'll be any Who-style destruction, but I'm not really comfortable letting other folk use my gear.

What are other people's view on lending out their stuff? My gear's insured against 3rd party damage but why should I put up my premium by claiming in the even of some breaking? I had to work and save the cash to pay for it, so surely I'm in the right here?[/quote]

Nor a borrower or lender should one be when it comes to gear. there is an exception however. I don't lend gear because it has been so difficult to acquire it along the way and usually, if someone is hard up and they borrow something, that's when it will go wrong. The exception is that I would lend something if someone I knew if they had problem such as there gear has just broken last minute and they are stuffed for a gig that night. We could all be in that situation and I'd hope someone would help me. The difference though is that they have gear etc. and are in a position to reciprovate.

Never lend my bases, not a chance. Have had to share my back line occassionally, but they bassically plug and play, thats my instruction along with no drinks on top of my amp. Unfortunately you do get some that don't give a sh*t. On the one occassion a guy ignored my request and put his beer on my amp, he got rather a rude awakening and got embarrased when I jumped on stage during their set grabbed the beer and unplugged my amp. Show over for him!

I'm sure it's not intentional but it seems some of you might be coming over a bit dickish over amp sharing at gigs tbh. Most of the places we play are small and cramped and it's just unneeded hassle having to change around the rigs for every band, not to mention it takes up time when you could be playing. As long as it's made clear that the settings stay the same, absolutely no drinks come near it and the active/passive input is correct then for me it's not an issue if someone uses my rig. In the end I'm at the gig as well, and the liklihood of someone blowing it through negligence when it's just effectively plug and play is exceptionally low. Also if something does go wrong when it's just plug and play, chances are it was going to happen with you playing later that night anyway. There are ways to say "no" to sharing at gigs and it kind of seems that might not be happening. Appearing standoffish and unwilling to be a team player at a gig is not going to earn you friends, and ultimately it might end up costing you shows. It reminds me alot of a gig a did a while ago (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17342&hl=imperial+vipers) with an "up and coming" band, their bassist acted like a dick and brushed us off and it just created a bad atmosphere. If he'd just taken thirty seconds to come over, say "hi" and tell me he wasn't comfortable with sharing then fine, it would have been a completely different situation.

On a separate note when I started out gigging when I was around 11 it always made the experience that much greater being able to play through someone else's much more expensive rig. There is nothing like playing with an Ampeg fullstack behind you when you're only used to a tiny 10W peavey combo at home! :)

And I've just gone against my word now and offered to share my rig on a night we're playing at. Because I'm 1) nice and 2) new to all this. Don't want to start off being known for being a surly curmudgeon, does one?

The "no drinks on top of the equipment" rule will be strictly enforced though!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='435537' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:14 PM']So you have a girl who bats for the other team and your girlfriend..... I think you can see where I'm going (or more where you should be)[/quote]

Just to put a stop to posts like this, when it comes to my flatmate, on the lesbian scale she's definitely more of a Rosie O' Donnell than a Lindsay Lohan.

[quote name='Rich' post='435952' date='Mar 16 2009, 12:05 PM']What's so "dickish" about not wanting to get your stuff busted?[/quote]

Missed the point slightly, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just there's a good way of saying "no" that doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Guest subaudio

I agreed to let a guy from a suporting band use my rig towards the end of last year (without prior arrangement), but explained that my eq had been set for that stage to stop my double bass from feeding back due to the loud volumes required onstage, so could he please not change it, other than that I had no objection, he agreed but when I turned round he was miming knocking my rig over and low and behold when I came to play the eq was all over the shop, that was the last time I will ever lend my gear.

My temper was severely tested that night.