Why become a member? ×

Lending your gear out

Jono Bolton

My flatmate has recently volunteered her services as a bass player to a friend of ours, despite the fact that she doesn't own a bass. As you can see from my sig, I own some fairly decent (IMO) gigging bass equipment, having been playing for the past 12 years or so.

So far my flatmate has been practicing on my Jazz in the flat, but now wants to start taking it round to our friends flat for rehearsals and eventually use it for gigging.

I've yet to question her about it as it's not been a problem so far, but I'm fairly sure she said she would play bass on the assumption that she could use my gear as and when she pleases, as I'm not currently gigging.

Am I being selfish if I refuse to continue letting her use my stuff? It's fine in the flat but I'm not really happy with my stuff being taken away for gigs/prectices. It's quite quiet folky music she's playing so it's unlikely there'll be any Who-style destruction, but I'm not really comfortable letting other folk use my gear.

What are other people's view on lending out their stuff? My gear's insured against 3rd party damage but why should I put up my premium by claiming in the even of some breaking? I had to work and save the cash to pay for it, so surely I'm in the right here?

There are so many factors at play here, it's going to be hard for anyone here to accurately assess your situation and know what the right thing to do is. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest that as soon as conversation comes round to basses, you say to her "look, I'm not entirely comfortable with having my gear taken out of the flat. I'm not suggesting that I think you'd be reckless with it, it's just that stuff happens at gigs. If you like, I'll help you to look for a bass and amp of your own."

S.P.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='433901' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:00 PM']My flatmate has recently volunteered her services as a bass player to a friend of ours, despite the fact that she doesn't own a bass. As you can see from my sig, I own some fairly decent (IMO) gigging bass equipment, having been playing for the past 12 years or so.

So far my flatmate has been practicing on my Jazz in the flat, but now wants to start taking it round to our friends flat for rehearsals and eventually use it for gigging.

I've yet to question her about it as it's not been a problem so far, but I'm fairly sure she said she would play bass on the assumption that she could use my gear as and when she pleases, as I'm not currently gigging.

Am I being selfish if I refuse to continue letting her use my stuff? It's fine in the flat but I'm not really happy with my stuff being taken away for gigs/prectices. It's quite quiet folky music she's playing so it's unlikely there'll be any Who-style destruction, but I'm not really comfortable letting other folk use my gear.

What are other people's view on lending out their stuff? My gear's insured against 3rd party damage but why should I put up my premium by claiming in the even of some breaking? I had to work and save the cash to pay for it, so surely I'm in the right here?[/quote]

Yeah, you're in the right. It's your gear to do as you please with.

Personally I wouldn't mind lending out my amp (with the proviso that any damage is paid for and will result in the abrupt halt of any privileges) and would be OK about loaning the use of a bass around the flat, but there's no way I'd let a one of my babies be used in any gig/rehearsal situation.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='433906' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:02 PM']I'd be fine letting her take the MIM jazz around but wouldn't be too happy about the Precision.

I'm sure she'd be careful though, she's a girl![/quote]

The Jazz was a birthday present from Mother and Father Bolton a few years back, so the value is more sentimental than financial, I wasn't entirely convinced they could afford it TBH. The P was the result of hard slog and penny pinching, and was essentially a pricey way of finding out I'm a Jazz guy :)

I wouldn't be bothered about someone using one of my basses at home but taking it gigs or rehearsals is a definite no.
If she's not willing to buy one to do that then tough in my book. Especially when you can pick up a perfectly good giggable bass for £150 or so.

Ahh this old chestnut.......

Ive been caught a few times by being the nice one who lends his gear out. People have usually failed to stand their responsibilites when damage is caused. Its great if nothing happens but makes things very awkward if it does. She's obviously a mate and should understand how much effort your parents and you have made to ensure your kitted out.
Tell her your concerns and if she values your friendship she'll be cool and get herself some kit.

My policy is now a NO Loaning one. I dont even allow support acts to use my rig..........should it blow, then my gig is knackered. It seems hard to tell people but Ive never turned up for a gig without gear and never would expect to use other rigs, I know my tone and carry my gear accordingly.

Just a quick rant.

Good luck

Col

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='433923' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:20 PM']I dont even allow support acts to use my rig..........should it blow, then my gig is knackered. It seems hard to tell people but Ive never turned up for a gig without gear and never would expect to use other rigs, I know my tone and carry my gear accordingly.
Col[/quote]

Precisely. "If you can't be bothered to bring your kit, you're not playing" is what I'd say to anyone asking.

If something blows out, too bad. If mine blows out on me, too bad. When I can afford a 2nd LMII, I will carry backup, just as I do for my basses.

She has said she's going to buy a bass and I pointed out several decent buys within her apparent budget of £300, but weeks have gone by and she still keeps asking to use my stuff. I've told her that using it in the flat's ok, but I'm not keen on her taking it out because accidents happen. If she's willing to reimburse me for the bass plus any mods that can't be salvaged, that's fine, but I'd rather not get into that position in the first place.

[quote name='Telebass' post='433918' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:14 PM']Short answer: I never lend gear.[/quote]

After the nightmare that I had [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7919&st=1240&p=400582&#entry400582"]back in February[/url], I don't think I'm going to be borrowing gear in future either.

S.P.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='433936' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:28 PM']She has said she's going to buy a bass and I pointed out several decent buys within her apparent budget of £300, but weeks have gone by and she still keeps asking to use my stuff. I've told her that using it in the flat's ok, but I'm not keen on her taking it out because accidents happen. If she's willing to reimburse me for the bass plus any mods that can't be salvaged, that's fine, but I'd rather not get into that position in the first place.[/quote]

Get a contract printed out. Get her to sign it each time she wants to take your bass out of the house.

S.P.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='433901' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:00 PM']I've yet to question her about it as it's not been a problem so far, but I'm fairly sure she said she would play bass on the assumption that she could use my gear as and when she pleases, as I'm not currently gigging.[/quote]

If she's not directly asked you about using it out of the house, then in my view it's a non-issue. Let her assume what she likes but making presumptions without gaining your permission is very direspectful IMO.

And no to derail, but onmthe support band thing, sometimes changing out four bass cabs on a gig for each band isn't feasible. I won't lend out my amp head but I have lent my cabs out before, I rarely meet players with decent enough gear to blow a Mesa up anyway!

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='433942' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:32 PM']Get a contract printed out. Get her to sign it each time she wants to take your bass out of the house.

S.P.[/quote]

in blood ...

£300 is plenty for a beginner rig and bass. In fact if she buys used and you help her it could be enough for the first 20 years of her playing career.

Start "finding" adverts of basses and rigs on here and Gumtree and offer to take her to see them. Hopefully she'll get the hint.

People break stuff.

They maybe don't mean to, but they still do. There's a 1cm gouge in the top edge of my Ashdown cab and the fact that my Hartke head is no longer in its original case which provides me with ample irksome reminder of this.

I bought it,I paid for it...No you cant use it...

DI is the only thing lent out,and then only to a trusted friend....Its all Im taking to London gigs after instruments.

NEVER a Bass,NEVER a Head,NEVER a cab.

Edited by ARGH

If they have non of their own gear then no I wouldn't.
If a friend had a bass in for repair / stolen ! or his / her amp had blown I would as a one off and that is it.

If she has no gear you are on a slippy slope as she will see the bass as hers to use as she pleases.
I'm sure if you explain the sentiment behind your bass she will understand and as others have said if she is serious she will buy one.
Lots of cheap good quality basses about.

[quote name='OldGit' post='433974' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:56 PM']Yeah you could ask Jimijimi - he Custom Shop Fender bass turned up on ebay being sold by a shop after he lent it to someone :0
I don't think this will happen here (unless it's stolen from the gig of course) but it's just not a good idea[/quote]

That's...I'm lost for words...

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='433913' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:08 PM']The Jazz was a birthday present from Mother and Father Bolton a few years back, so the value is more sentimental than financial[/quote]

Oh well in that case no way would I let her take it out of the flat if I were you!

Perhaps hit the for sale section here? Do the leg work for her if she isn't doing much to sort out some own gear for herself.