Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Didn’t they only do the lollipop tuners for a year or so and only on the jazzes 

Nah I’ve had a few P basses with Lollipops on.

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Did them on Mustangs too if that counts (1966 maybe 67 too)

Nice one, thanks ped, I thought I’d only seen them on jazzes , perhaps they used them on all their basses at that time 

• Like 1

Leo probably got a batch of them at a good price and used them everywhere until the box emptied. We eulogise various aspects of the Fender story, when the reality was that they were just making a product to a price point.

Am I happy that my 66J has the special machine heads (and binding and dots)? Obviously, yes :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a beauty mr d 😍

Thanks Tony,

Yes - it’s yet another one I should have kept🙈🙈 It had a B neck, played like the proverbial dream with a ridiculously low action & a lovely sounding powerful pick up, which measured 11. something on the Richter scale A session Chap came all the way up from ‘that’ London & loved it. I’d love another 60’s P but the prices have gone a bit nuts now, but because I was missing the AVRI so much, I’ve bought another one😃😃🙈🙈👍👍

Cheers,

Tim

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dodgnofski said:

Thanks Tony,

Yes - it’s yet another one I should have kept🙈🙈 It had a B neck, played like the proverbial dream with a ridiculously low action & a lovely sounding powerful pick up, which measured 11. something on the Richter scale A session Chap came all the way up from ‘that’ London & loved it. I’d love another 60’s P but the prices have gone a bit nuts now, but because I was missing the AVRI so much, I’ve bought another one😃😃🙈🙈👍👍

Cheers,

Tim

I’ve still got the one I got from you Tim and play it all the time , it’s not going anywhere 👍

On 08/02/2024 at 09:51, dodgnofski said:

My ‘68 P had them and also my first ever Fender - a Mustang in metallic Blue with a ‘go faster’ stripe.

IMG_7055.jpeg

IMG_7054.jpeg

Another cool example of Fender using up old stock lying around, such as those tuners. Perhaps in this case they used up parts before the P Bass revamp in ‘68. 

• Like 3

On 25/01/2024 at 18:54, Reggaebass said:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I know they did code lots but didn’t think they dated them there, the earlier bodies were dated in the pickup cavity 

The dude is a frickin conman. It's a 74 neck. The body MIGHT be earlier than 74 due to the stamps in the neck pocket which were definitely not in any 1974 neck pocket but more likely 1968/69/70, in fact I have owned a couple of 1968 Telecaster Basses with the 42909 stamp in the neck pocket, and the almost totally faded out red band being very common in the 68-72 P basses, attributable to a specific paint supplier - by 72 Fender had sourced a much more UV resistant red paint which was less susceptible to fading from exposure to sunlight. As a parts bass maybe 2.5k max.

11 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Unfortunately a refinish but what a colour! https://thebassgallery.com/products/fender-precision-bass-1962

It might be just me, but I can't bring myself to pay big money for a refinished guitar, although I'm sure it's lovely. 

Off topic, but their lack of detail in describing their basses is frustrating. Some of the vintage Fenders have  not a single word!

Example - https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-jazz-bass-197 

Also, all original? Answers on a postcard please: https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-precision-1986

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 2

If you ask "modern" prices for your late 70s Fender, at least take the effort to write a text about how amazing it is.

The pickguard in the "all original" precision is a replacement. Any bass dealer that represent themselves as knowledgeable should see this in one second. And double check if making such statements.

The refin on the '60 looks nice though.

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

I honestly don’t know why The Bass Gallery put so little effort into their descriptions. Massively lets them down imo especially as buying from a shop like that should mean a reliable source of expert information as opposed to some waster saying ’L@@k VINTAGE LAWSUIT’ on eBay 

• Like 2

Drives me bonkers🙈🙈 - asking thousands and can’t be bothered to take pics of the butt end date stamp, which also then shows the condition of the truss rod nut + pics of the action in the playing position & pot dates etc It’s like a car salesman expecting a customer to by a second hand car without wanting to lift the bonnet - rant over👍👍

Edited by dodgnofski