Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland Classic Series PJ

Quatschmacher

I’ve never posted one of these before but this just arrived today after a 7-month wait. Sadly it has a bit of an issue at the neck joint and some buzzing on the open D but I’m hoping a trip to Jon Shuker will sort that out. Luckily it sounds lovely and plays really nicely. The neck profile is wonderful.

Here’s a clip:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CsIxUzVpni9GGTdnOjSyycjlzWIOn_PW/view?usp=drivesdk

4A1FBE4D-D432-4933-B408-D5112C290613.jpeg

27A5ADBE-F977-4BCD-BEDE-51DA9276C326.jpeg

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Drax said:

Nice bass! Not often you see different colour pickups. Do Lakland pick up the cost of repair? 

I asked for the pickup cover to be white. John suggested painting it with the same paint used for the body which was an even better idea. I wanted to make it look as much like a normal P as possible. 

I need to get in touch with Lakland to mention the issues and I’ll ask about costs. 

2 hours ago, acidbass said:

Love the clay dots!  Disappointing that a new bass shouldn't be perfect on arrival - seems a common theme these days!

The dots are actually birdseye maple. 

31 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Nice spec and I love the white J pickup.

Is it a custom USA bass? I would definitely want some funds towards a re-setup with Mr Shuker.

It’s a Classic Series. Basically the same as the US Series but with ultra lite tuners, alder only, no pickup cover, fewer finish and wood choices.

I’ve had a reply and I’m hopeful they’ll come good whatever happens.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar thought about the pick-up’s on my Bob Glaub. I’m thinking about buying the cream coloured Lindy Fralin P-J set. The Olympic white finish on the bass is ageing nicely and therefore I don’t think white would look quite right, but the cream J should just disappear in the body colour and the cream P should stand out surrounded by the tort plate. At $290 not including shipping and taxes, they’re not cheap though!

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I had a similar thought about the pick-up’s on my Bob Glaub. I’m thinking about buying the cream coloured Lindy Fralin P-J set. The Olympic white finish on the bass is ageing nicely and therefore I don’t think white would look quite right, but the cream J should just disappear in the body colour and the cream P should stand out surrounded by the tort plate. At $290 not including shipping and taxes, they’re not cheap though!

How are you getting on with yours. I’m still jealous. 🙂

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

How are you getting on with yours. I’m still jealous. 🙂

It’s a great bass. Kicking myself a little that I’ve never sought one out to try before. I haven’t come across any other players that I know who own one. Yours will be mustard once Mr.S flattens that heel and identifies the dodgy fret. Shouldn’t be that way, but we live in an imperfect world.

Nice take with the white pickup cover...

As for the neck join? don't they check over when finished? - poor show... fret buzz may be more truss rod n transit issue, but still... still not a tort fan but thats percy taste...

Saw Black Sabbath Paranoid Classic Albums the other night, Geezer had a pair of Lakelands, Laklandie, Laklandies... well,  2 Nice basses...

Enjoy!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice take with the white pickup cover...

As for the neck join? don't they check over when finished? - poor show... fret buzz may be more truss rod n transit issue, but still... still not a tort fan but thats percy taste...

Saw Black Sabbath Paranoid Classic Albums the other night, Geezer had a pair of Lakelands, Laklandie, Laklandies... well,  2 Nice basses...

Enjoy!

You’d think they would. My guess is they were out of practice after the lockdown closure. The buzz is a nut cutting issue as it’s buzzing at the nut.