Why become a member? ×

Battery power for a pedal board?

Woodwind

Hello,

Undoubtedly covered elsewhere, but I didn't know quite what to search for to cover the possibilities.

There is potentially quite a change to the sort of shows I'll be playing next year and power isn't necessarily a given.

I think I know what I'm doing Amplification wise, but have no idea what to do about my effects.

Are there rechargeable battery packs that can power an effects board?

I'm using five or six 9v pedals (well, apart from the EHX 9.2v) and none have huge current demands as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for pointers and real world experiences.

I’ve got a couple of Poweradd slim 2 units. They are about £8 and are 5000mAh

Then a converter cable and a daisy chain. 
On my small board, just use 1 with a spare. On a bigger board I use 2 and split the power so the low draw ones are on 1 supply, and my digi pedal on the other.

I get a couple of hours out of a charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I’ve got a couple of Poweradd slim 2 units. They are about £8 and are 5000mAh

Then a converter cable and a daisy chain. 
On my small board, just use 1 with a spare. On a bigger board I use 2 and split the power so the low draw ones are on 1 supply, and my digi pedal on the other.

I get a couple of hours out of a charge.

I can't wait to try this!

I imagine I'll likewise use two packs and split them depending on the pedals.

Thank you for the heads up on this technique, I had no idea at all :)

• Like 1

I'm using this since a few months. It has enough power for all your pedals and even more. When fully charged it lasts for at least 12 hours and up to 16 hours according to the manual. This is also very powerful with 12800 mAh or 12,8 Ah...

Maybe not cheap, but with such a load of power, worth each and every penny.

Here it is https://m.thomann.de/gb/kse_falken_1.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I'm using this since a few months. It has enough power for all your pedals and even more. When fully charged it lasts for at least 12 hours and up to 16 hours according to the manual. This is also very powerful with 12800 mAh or 12,8 Ah...

Maybe not cheap, but with such a load of power, worth each and every penny.

Here it is https://m.thomann.de/gb/kse_falken_1.htm

ooh! that looks really good.

If I could run my mixer from this on the 18v out that would open up even more possibilities.

I had the Warwick Rockbass LT, bought it from Thomann when they were ~£30.

Loved it, worked great, one of the few batteries that can play and charge at the same time (handy if it ever died on a gig, which mine didn't) but unfortunately the hateful, hurtful, stupid invention that is the micro usb connector came out of its socket along with the cable after about six months.

Great at what it does, needs to be handled with kid gloves. #whyisn'teverythingusbc?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I had the Warwick Rockbass LT, bought it from Thomann when they were ~£30.

Loved it, worked great, one of the few batteries that can play and charge at the same time (handy if it ever died on a gig, which mine didn't) but unfortunately the hateful, hurtful, stupid invention that is the micro usb connector came out of its socket along with the cable after about six months.

Great at what it does, needs to be handled with kid gloves. #whyisn'teverythingusbc?

Wait a minute...I have a Rockbass LT, bought in 2017, and it charges via its own barrel jack input. Does your version charge via micro USB??

If so, that‘s a definite downgrade IMO.

• Like 1

I am going all battery currently have mishmash of different solutions on my boards but I am going to tidy it all up with two of the 35 quid Harley Bentons. 

Everything I've ever had with HB on the label has been first class, and the power/pound ratio looks good to me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Wait a minute...I have a Rockbass LT, bought in 2017, and it charges via its own barrel jack input. Does your version charge via micro USB??

If so, that‘s a definite downgrade IMO.

My apologies, mine was an 'LT XL'

13277571_800.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

My apologies, mine was an 'LT XL'

13277571_800.jpg

Yeah mine are LT XLs too - at some point they repainted the casing from black to gold and stuck a micro USB in there, presumably as it costs less to do that then include a DC power supply! Bit of a shame - my old school LT XLs are still going strong!

I've got an early LT XL when they still came with a DC supply.

However - when mounting it on the bottom of a small board - like a Pedal Train Nano - the charging point is in the wrong place. Can't get to it without removing the supply. Not enough room between the metal parts of the board.

Stupid design! The charging input should have been at one of the ends.

I've been using a Pedaltrain Volto for a while now and I absolutely love the tidiness of it all (no need for numerous wall warts and extension cables). All my pedals are analogue, so the battery lasts for ages, I've never run it flat so I have no idea as to the actual life, suffice to say that it easily lasts a two set gig (1 hour and a bit per set), especially if you switch it off during the break. I only once for got to charge it and it was getting low after the first set, but a recharge during the break saved any sweating over it failing.

• Like 1

And there are these complete pedalboards made by Boxking with a battery pack included. The small one being like the Falken I mentioned (12,8 Ah) and the big one being an amazing 25,6 Ah (you can start a car with this 😱https://www.stars-music.com/flightcase-pedalboard-for-effect-pedal/#brands=2002

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I've got an early LT XL when they still came with a DC supply.

However - when mounting it on the bottom of a small board - like a Pedal Train Nano - the charging point is in the wrong place. Can't get to it without removing the supply. Not enough room between the metal parts of the board.

Stupid design! The charging input should have been at one of the ends.

Mine is mounted under a PT Nano+ and I can still reach the charging point. I’ll have to take a photo later

• Like 1

... for charging could you not get a 90 degree adaptor? It may give you that bit of room you need. 

I’ve got a Pedaltrain Volto v3 on my Nano board, only powering a Spectracomp so should last ages. Seems well made and fit for purpose, hence went down that route rather than one I put together myself (even if the spec would be higher). 

Those integrated battery and board units look fantastic 👍🏼. Cheers for the heads up.