Why become a member? ×

Bass humour..: Buyer's Guide

Thundr

I'll be openly honest here and say that I generally find offensive humour much funnier that PG humour. I suspect everyone is probably not in a dissimilar boat, whether they choose to admit it or not! 

What people will say out loud, and the opinions they voice in public are seldom the same as the true person that they are. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Balls to 'this day and age'. That I find offensive!

To submit to the current culture of everything must be neutral and even is an utterly impossible goal. Life is not even, equal or neutral, to try and insist it should be is setting yourself up to fail as life will never be this peachy walk through the park where everyone is exactly equal to the next person.

I long for an age were the thought of race, gender, personal preferences etc. aren't even a consideration anymore, where you could be trans, straight, black, male, blue, unspecified and be looked upon in the same light as the next person, with no judgement. 

BUT I do not long for the day where everything is forced neutrality. I have my interest, they may not be your interests, but I have the right to be able to access content that appeals to my interest. We are not all the same, we like different things, life is a beautiful tie-dye of different appetites, just because someone chooses to be trans doesn't mean we can't still read a book where the love interest is male/female. Nor does it mean that I (as a man in a male/female relationship) should de-value another book written where the relationship portrayed is based on a different paradigm. 

To grey everything out would be a crying shame and totally the wrong way to celebrate our differences.

You actually hit the point on a lot of what we are saying on this - no one is forcing neutrality, but there is a skill in writing and comedy which is sadly missing here. Of course we like different things and that should stay, but the current culture sadly is not set up for everything being neutral, and why is that such a bad goal to reach for, even though there may be failures on the way?

There is also the question of perpetuating stereotypes, which holds things back.

Just trying to Help negotiate 3 daughters through life amongst other issues they may face - it’s not easy

6 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Not offended by this - I just think it’s just cr@p!

(Files alongside jokes about mother in laws and women drivers, etc, etc).

This ^^^^

The shared piece is poorly written, decidedly indicative of its geographic origin and a tired old joke.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

why is that such a bad goal to reach for, even though there may be failures on the way?

Because along the way people become more entrenched and divided when people try and police they way others think and tar entire groups of people with the same brush. 

I long for the days when we could poke fun at each other and laugh, poke back and take things as intended or just have the ability to not find things funny without having to say one is offended. Actually I think that’s still pretty much how the world is except a vocal minority who aren’t doing their cause any favours. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Of course we like different things and that should stay, but the current culture sadly is not set up for everything being neutral, and why is that such a bad goal to reach for, even though there may be failures on the way?

The world wouldn't turn if everything was neutral. It would also be exceptionally boring. 

Neutrality is a different point entirely to treating everyone with respect. The latter I absolutely agree with, but neutrality is not something I agree with. 

Some like beige, some like radical bold colours. There's nothing wrong with either. 

Some are career driven and seek to earn as much as they can, some are more than content in life without having career goals. There's nothing wrong either either.

1 minute ago, ped said:

Because along the way people become more entrenched and divided when people try and police they way others think and tar entire groups of people with the same brush. 

I long for the days when we could poke fun at each other and laugh, poke back and take things as intended or just have the ability to not find things funny without having to say one is offended. Actually I think that’s still pretty much how the world is except a vocal minority who aren’t doing their cause any favours. 

I am all for poking fun, but in any situation where there is a minority, if the majority are whispering, then the minority have to shout to be heard, then we can all talk at normal volume

1 minute ago, binky_bass said:

The world wouldn't turn if everything was neutral. It would also be exceptionally boring. 

Neutrality is a different point entirely to treating everyone with respect. The latter I absolutely agree with, but neutrality is not something I agree with. 

Some like beige, some like radical bold colours. There's nothing wrong with either. 

Some are career driven and seek to earn as much as they can, some are more than content in life without having career goals. There's nothing wrong either either.

I reckon the word ‘neutral’ has drifted here and I don’t think either of us mean to use it as boring, we are close in what we are saying to each other.

There will always be a hierarchy, Paren/child relationship (or it should be!) as a case in point.

I would hope we are all thinking the same thing that it is correct in moving away from damaging or degrading stereotypes, and that actually to be funny or satirical takes a bit of effort or genius.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I don’t wonder at all...besides, Sylvia is not a plural 

It was written in a conversational style, and yes, from a PM from a friend, probably wasn't as clear as it needed to be. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, ped said:

I long for the days when we could poke fun at each other and laugh, poke back and take things as intended or just have the ability to not find things funny without having to say one is offended. 

I agree. It almost feels like we're running on rails these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ped said:

Don't disagree with the sentiment but often phrases are used  which can be offensive without one being aware of how they came into everyday useage.

• Like 1

Just now, yorks5stringer said:

Don't disagree with the sentiment but often phrases are used  which can be offensive without one being aware of how they came into everyday useage.

Yes, it's nuanced, but it's going to get to the point soon where I'll not be able to take the mick out of Mackems. And we can't have that.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yes, it's nuanced, but it's going to get to the point soon where I'll not be able to take the mick out of Mackems. And we can't have that.

No, that's a totally different set of crtieria only available to those who live either North of the Tyne or on the banks of it and involves  worshipping the Gods  of pease pudding, stotty cakes and brown ale. ( all lazy regional  stereotypes)!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Haha 1

No, that's a totally different set of crtieria only available to those who live either North of the Tyne or on the banks of it and involves  worshipping the Gods  of pease pudding, stotty cakes and brown ale. ( all lazy regional stotty stereotypes)!

You forgot flat caps and whippets. AND IT'S ALL TRUE!

28 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I am all for poking fun, but in any situation where there is a minority, if the majority are whispering, then the minority have to shout to be heard, then we can all talk at normal volume

And what about the current world, in which the minorities are shouting so loud, the majority can not be heard? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

And what about the current world, in which the minorities are shouting so loud, the majority can not be heard? 

Where is that?

Or is it just the majority listening?

Maybe voices are equalising, actions next and we are on the right path 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Have you considered why 'the minorities' are shouting so loud? I bet when you get stopped by the Police in Bulgaria you do not run the risk of being killed because of the colour of your skin?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That's pretty much always the case!

I've had many a debate over the years with many a person about these kind of things and frankly, if you're being brutally honest, it all boils down to the fact that humans as a species are inherently terrible!

There is no denying that the majority of living things on this planet would be FAR better off if we didn't exist. 

Where's Thanos when you need him! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yorks5stringer said:

Have you considered why 'the minorities' are shouting so loud? I bet when you get stopped by the Police in Bulgaria you do not run the risk of being killed because of the colour of your skin?

strangely we got stopped twice by the Bulgarian Police, I'm almost certain it's because we had a rent-a-car and they figured we'd be easy to extort a 'fine' out of. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Yep - my brother was in Russia having a played a gig for a band, and I can honestly say was not up to hi jinx was minding his own business out and about, and guess what - AK47 in the face from Russian police, time in lock up, all colour of skin related

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

You see here we go with the utter cow poop again. 

If I was a white farmer in South Africa I would run the risk of being murdered in my bed every night just for the colour of my skin, as many have been, and are being on a daily basis.

Where were the mass protests when the Chinese were committing genocide in Tibet. Or when the British and Americans were doing it all across the middle east. Maybe yellow or brown is the wrong shade of black? 

It's a problem specific to a certain area and a certain group of people. I don't want to hear your protestations of racism because some white cop in Bumflip USA is a racist. It's nothing to do with me. It's not a crime I am guilty of because of the pigmentation of my skin, and to claim I have "Male white privilege" as many would say, is I itself a sexist and racist comment, showing the hypocrisy of the current "side with me or you're the problem" mentality. 

I don't want to side with you. I don't want to side with anyone. You want to shout and scream and pull over statues. Go right ahead. You want me to care? That's beyond your remit. 

• Like 2

I didn’t find it funny. Nothing to do with gender offending or anything (is it possible that I’m offended that I didn’t find it offensive) I just didn’t think there was any humour in it.

• Thanks 1