Jump to content
Stub Mandrel

Fretboard Accelerator Programme aka the Gary Willis book thread

Recommended Posts

Am I the only person concerned that Scott Devine is going all out trying to get me to sign up for an online FAP?

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep looking at this course, but it's a lot of money. It does appeal to me though, I find myself stuck in the same patterns.... 

Has anyone else signed up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My worry is it's essentially another set of patterns, although perhaps with a greater accent of flexibility and portability. Looking  at what's offered - a map of various inversions across the fretboard - it's  not that different from how I approach the instrument although obviously far more comprehensive and no doubt with lots of good exercises.

I know there's no point in me making such a long-tern commitment. I'd like to be able to buy short, relatively inexpensive, courses to address particular issues in my playing.

Interesting, I've typed out along reply, but I think I should start a new thread...
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My worry is it's essentially another set of patterns, although perhaps with a greater accent of flexibility and portability. Looking  at what's offered - a map of various inversions across the fretboard - it's  not that different from how I approach the instrument although obviously far more comprehensive and no doubt with lots of good exercises.

I know there's no point in me making such a long-tern commitment. I'd like to be able to buy short, relatively inexpensive, courses to address particular issues in my playing.

Interesting, I've typed out along reply, but I think I should start a new thread...
 

Yeah it's difficult, I know my freedom on the fretboard is nowhere near as good as it could be, but I just don't know if this is worth the cost. I kinda feel like it should be easy enough to figure this out myself? It just seems to be linking triads from each chord tone of the key to form a pattern? I maybe wrong though. 

Plus, my discipline for practicing at the moment is terrible.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been bombarded with the emails as well together with the offer of $50 off but that still makes the cost high for something that has such a time commitment.

I will admit that the course would probably improve my playing though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Ariane Cap's book about 6 months ago and still haven't done anything with it! 😂

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured I'd be better off working through Ariane's course on SBL and working through her book in addition rather than doing Scott's add on at high cost course; there's so much on the normal SBL to do without buying more courses, which was the whole point of SBL originally

I looked at the course once and am still getting almost daily emails about it, I only really looked to see if it was $200 or $150

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look and nearly went for it but decided it was too much money for me right now.

He's been following me everywhere ever since! 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cheap DIY version is:

Practice arpeggios up and down the neck:

Maj7, Min7, Aug7, Dim7 (in all keys)

Practice them in 1st 2nd and 3rd inversions, always beginning on the lowest note available of the particular chord.

Do that for 30mins a day and soon you will amaze yourself.

You're welcome! 😊

 

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

[looks up how to figure out inversions] 😬

Ah..

Your chord tones are the 1,3,5,7 of whichever scale you're looking at.

The first inversion is just playing it 3,5,7,1

Second inversion is 5,7,1,3

Third inversion is 7,1,3,5

I know at first it all sounds high falutin but it's not at all.

Inversions are great because it keeps you off just doing mainly the root thing and they make you harmonise in an easy way that sounds more clever than it really is! 😄

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Ah..

Your chord tones are the 1,3,5,7 of whichever scale you're looking at.

The first inversion is just playing it 3,5,7,1

Second inversion is 5,7,1,3

Third inversion is 7,1,3,5

I know at first it all sounds high falutin but it's not at all.

Inversions are great because it keeps you off just doing mainly the root thing and they make you harmonise in an easy way that sounds more clever than it really is! 😄

Of course, that makes sense! Think I just hadn't thought of that as inversions before, even though that's what they are. 

Need to get practicing then! 

Sounding more cleverer than what I actually am is crucial to my ongoing success! 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest issue is when coming up with fills etc, I just get confined to the same sliding pentatonic pattern I was taught 24 years ago! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I keep looking at this course, but it's a lot of money. It does appeal to me though, I find myself stuck in the same patterns.... 

Has anyone else signed up? 

Yep.   I exist to support SD's lifestyle and family.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

My biggest issue is when coming up with fills etc, I just get confined to the same sliding pentatonic pattern I was taught 24 years ago! 

Invert it! 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Invert it! 😉

Well, I don't just play the scale for a fill (😂) , I start at different points and jump around it a bit, but always within that pattern. Am I inverting? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

The cheap DIY version is:

Practice arpeggios up and down the neck:

Maj7, Min7, Aug7, Dim7 (in all keys)

Practice them in 1st 2nd and 3rd inversions, always beginning on the lowest note available of the particular chord.

Do that for 30mins a day and soon you will amaze yourself.

You're welcome! 😊

 

+ 1, 2 and 4 finger positions.  I am concerned it's going to be as old hat as that.  But there is the grace period with money back guarantee.  So if it's too yawn I'll just back out (again).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the Gary Willis fingerboard harmony for bass. Scott is a student of Gary’s (or was) and he’s internalised a lot of this stuff - and for good reason: it’s brilliant.

Gary talks a lot about how to use visual patterns on the bass. Book is cheaper than the course I guess.

Good luck to Scott, seems like a fantastic chap and the courses look brilliant.

As with anything like this what you put in, you get out. When I was teaching I’d get so frustrated with people who expected to internalise concepts in an hour long lesson without practising them at home...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't get on with the gary willis fingerboard thing, so I got my money back on that. But the 26 week accelerator course was great, happy I did that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I couldn't get on with the gary willis fingerboard thing, so I got my money back on that. But the 26 week accelerator course was great, happy I did that one.

Sorry, I meant the book that Gary wrote. I have no view on the course but this book is great and appears to cover much of the same ground.

I’m sure Scott’s course is more in depth and worth the cash, but this seems to be similar at least in terms of content. Arpeggios don’t change, I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fingerboard-Harmony-Bass-Builders/dp/0793560438
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as like the courses, I am just too scared that enrolling for that class will result in EVEN more emails (spams?) and ads each time I open my laptop (let alone YouTube). I like the guy and the classes, but he is not just going all out as you say, for me, he is just killing his own business. Please Scott, I already subscribed... let me breathe!!

 

Edited by julfam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Sorry, I meant the book that Gary wrote. I have no view on the course but this book is great and appears to cover much of the same ground.

Actually may be better. Scotts course immediately launched into stuff that I had no idea about, so I was lost from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Sorry, I meant the book that Gary wrote. I have no view on the course but this book is great and appears to cover much of the same ground.

I’m sure Scott’s course is more in depth and worth the cash, but this seems to be similar at least in terms of content. Arpeggios don’t change, I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fingerboard-Harmony-Bass-Builders/dp/0793560438

Ordered a copy - cheapest new is just £10.85 inc P&P which is definitely worth a punt. No doubt will add to my collection of good intention but-yet-to-be-opened bass books - lol! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ordered a copy - cheapest new is just £10.85 inc P&P which is definitely worth a punt. No doubt will add to my collection of good intention but-yet-to-be-opened bass books - lol! 

I nearly ordered one, and then thought I'd better have a go at this Ariane Cap book I got 6 months ago instead! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By iamtheelvy
      Exercise book - Scales from Rhythm and Outer Space... aka Tetra Cocktails by Felix Pastorius. Brand new and unused (unfortunate duplicated Christmas present!).
      £25 (or best offer) delivered, or trade for ‘Just ASIP of Coffee & The Chromatic Scale’.
       



    • By Spingere
      My Ibanez GWB 1005 fretless with the original ebanol fingerboard is up for sale, but only because I'm mightily in need of the money. This is a beautiful, hand made (in Japan) instrument which originally cost me £3,500.
      It's only been gigged twice and has spent the rest of its life in my studio. It comes with an Ibanez Prestige hardcase and all the original parts. It is signed by Gary Willis on the back and has only one tiny ding (a few millimeters across) on the bottom of the lower horn and another tiny one just under the knobs. The volume knob recently developed a crackle but some switch cleaner sorted that out.
      There is a full technical description on the Ibanez web site, the only difference being that this bass has an ebanol fingerboard not an Ebony one (as stated on the site) or Rosewood (which newer versions have). https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/gwb1005_33_04.html
      Please contact me if you have any questions.
       
       














    • By alfred
      For everyone who seriously wants to improve their sight reading skills and who have so far found a lot of didactics but little reading material in textbooks I'd like to recommend "Soul Essentials".
      500 patterns in all keys, inspired by Northern Soul, Motown, Gospel and Rhythm 'n' Blues, by EICH Amplification Endorser Alfred Kallfass.
      Order via PayPal, free shipping: https://www.alfredkallfass.de/buch?lang=en


    • By Scorpion King
      The AB Guide to Music Theory, Part 1 has 103 pages.
       
      Only selling because I somehow have two!
      Written by Eric Taylor.
      Price includes postage.





    • By EdLib-3
      Hi all,   I bought this bass new last month as a replacement for my Double Bass which I had to sell due to wrist problems, however I have subsequently realised fretless bass isn't really for me. This is an awesome instrument with an ebony fingerboard and a maple neck, the body consists of an Ash top with a light and resonant Basswood body. The Aguilar 2 band EQ and Aguilar pickup also sound fantastic.   Full details of the bass specs can be found here:   https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gwb20th_1p_01.html   The bass is strung with a nice new set of D'Addario Half Rounds which won't chew up the fingerboard and includes the Ibanez gig bag (pictured) that it came with.   The bass is not in perfect unused condition as there are some light markings left by the strings on the fingerboard; as you can see from the pictures these are very slight and the normal string wear marks found on a fretless. There is also some slight finish loss on the neck edge of the ebony - again just slight wear. Other than the aforementioned, the bass is immaculate.   I'm looking for a cash sale so no trade offers thanks. I would strongly prefer collection from the Preston Park area of Brighton, so it can be tried out and I don't have to chance sending this by courier in a lightly padded gig bag. However, I would be willing to do a meet up within a reasonable distance from Brighton. Here's my feedback thread:   https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/306417-feedback-for-edlib-3/   Thanks.  








×
×
  • Create New...