Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

As with everything - depends on budget.

I'm sure Sandberg would do you a 5 string short scale Lionel if the price was right.

The shortest 5 they offer is 32.5 inches. I do find their 5 string necks a bit chunky for me, and I like a narrower bridge string spacing than they have on a 5.

I'd love 44.5mm nut and 17.5mm bridge spacing - like a Stingray 5. Just as a shortie. I doubt I'll have any luck with that though.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

The shortest 5 they offer is 32.5 inches. I do find their 5 string necks a bit chunky for me, and I like a narrower bridge string spacing than they have on a 5.

I'd love 44.5mm nut and 17.5mm bridge spacing - like a Stingray 5. Just as a shortie. I doubt I'll have any luck with that though.

There was some discussion over on TalkBass about Nordstrand working on a 5 string version of the Acinonyx. I seem to recall it was confirmed by their media person but she said it was a few years away. I suspect it will have a narrow nut and string spacing, if my V1 is anything to go by.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

There was some discussion over on TalkBass about Nordstrand working on a 5 string version of the Acinonyx. I seem to recall it was confirmed by their media person but she said it was a few years away. I suspect it will have a narrow nut and string spacing, if my V1 is anything to go by.

That would be excellent!

• Like 2

On 01/10/2023 at 23:44, BassApprentice said:

As with everything - depends on budget.

I'm sure Sandberg would do you a 5 string short scale Lionel if the price was right.

rumor has it Nordstrand is working on a Cat 5...
its not a rumor.  I work there.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

Any chance of a fretless cat bass? 

I am sure Sonia will confirm: this already exists (according to TalkBass posts). I haven’t seen any advertised by UK dealers but you could order direct from Nordstrand I guess.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dmckee said:

Fretless short scale seems like an untapped (albeit possibly quite small) market. I’d like one. 

On 25/09/2023 at 18:03, Baloney Balderdash said:

I got some serious GAS for the fretless version of the Harley Benton Beatbass FL, Beatles/Violin Bass, and will no doubt buy at some point, would become my first fretless.

This demo starts out straight from the box and straight DI without any further processing of the signal:

The fretboard is treated Amaranth (Purple Heart), which is very close to being as hard and stiff as Ebony.

Unlined, but got dots on the side of the neck marking where the frets would be.

6 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

@Mertonthat looks lovely! 

How do you find intonation with the short scale? 

I’ve never really struggled with it tbh - as most of my other basses are 32” this keeps me on my toes and I have to be a bit more accurate especially as I go higher up the neck!

Edited by Merton
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

Any chance of a fretless cat bass? 

According to a recent post Sonia made on TalkBass, there are 5 fretless Acinonyx available now (just being finished) . I guess go to the Nordstrand website for details.

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2023 at 09:10, Baloney Balderdash said:

An Ibanez Mirko Bass 5 string, the GSRM25, does exist.

That one got a 45mm nut width and 16.5mm string spacing.

It does however have a scale length of just 28.6".

p_region_GSRM25_BK_1P_02_en_1.png

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gsrm25_02.html

It sure does :) and I (and my back) love it!

6A490643-6330-46CD-B441-1D5C551CD855.thumb.jpeg.673c1ac84f713e6d24a182626f37fa98.jpeg
S’manth x

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Merton said:

I’ve got one. Albeit quite niche as made for me by a good friend, but it’s epic.

972797D8-F521-4EC6-A3A5-0D643589405D.thumb.jpeg.ab88494a2a211710750d4f7a61934752.jpeg

Oh my … love it!

That looks amazing.

My shortie short fretless 5er is a UBASS at 23.5 and is loads of fun!

S’manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 2

Yamaha needs to put a short scale bass into production.

And I think it's a bit odd that they haven't got any current production short scale offerings with how popular short scales have become in recent years, nearly every other big guitar manufacture having at least one option for this in their current lineup. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 6