Left leaderboard
Manny

Hello from Barnet (North London)

I don’t normally bother with intros when I find a forum of interest but this place seems very friendly & welcoming. In fact I’ve just disappeared down a wormhole of all the others’ introductions...

In the 90s I played bass in three man riot https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=465765 

We were a punk band and I just played the root note of the guitar with a pick and learned to do so in time. I never progressed beyond that. Our basslines (and songs) might be the least complicated ever. I stopped playing once I got a responsible-ish job and wife and child until 20 years later ended up in a rehearsal studio with the old crew and we played the handful of songs that we could remember. I fell instantly back in love with the bass and have been practicing since (c. 3 months ago). Lockdown affords a lot of practice time.

I love it, I want to learn so much more than I ever did in the band. I can hardly play any riff - no matter how simple - without the strings buzzing/missing notes/fingers aching; I’m basically a total beginner again but loving starting from scratch. There are many more options to learn from now with all the tabs, YouTube videos etc. I’ve been using TalkingBass site a lot and just signed up for Fenders free 3 months of lessons.

I use a borrowed Fender P-bass (I assume it’s a squier level one though it doesn’t say squier on it and I don’t have anther bass to compare to nor sufficient knowledge/experience to probably even be able to tel the difference between a good ‘un and a cheap bass. Yet.) I’m practicing much more with fingers than plectrum as I prefer the sound but am still more proficient with a pick.

I only intended to write a couple of sentences. I’m not a lead guitarist ffs.

Thanks to the people who bother for running this forum. I can’t wait to read beyond this thread. 

• Like 2

On 23/05/2020 at 14:22, Manny said:

I’m basically a total beginner again

Many of us have been there...

Welcome back to the fold...I'm 10 mins up the road (drive fast, take chances) if you need any help/advice/etc...

• Like 1

Thanks all 👍.

I forgot to mention that I (still) want to be Paul Simonon when I grow up.

@The Greek I grew up in Stevenage. Where are you based?

I live on what used to be British Aerospace in Hatfield...Galleria is about 2 mins away.

• Like 1

Welcome. 

I worked in Stevenage for years. A building called antelope house i believe it’s now flats? 

Lock your wallet away before going into the for sale section!! 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome Manny,

I also live in Barnet (born in Tottenham, went to school in Cheshunt)

I got my first bass at the Soundgarden, just up from the tube station.

• Like 1

Hiya Manny

:crigon_04:

Mrs Teebs is from Barnet originally :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teebs said:

Hiya Manny

:crigon_04:

Mrs Teebs is from Barnet originally :)

So is Mrs Manny which is why ‘we’ choose to live here.

• Haha 1

Good evening, Manny, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 1