Why become a member? ×

1960 Jazz Bass

mistahbenn

Check it out, [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1960-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-JAZZBASS-60s-USA_W0QQitemZ290299259645QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item290299259645&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1960-FENDER-JA...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='421792' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:02 PM']Please someone tell me that is faked!

The first thing that sprang to mind was that I expected to see a stack-knob Jazz if it was 1960... didn't the 3 knob control get introduced circa 62/63?

Then my eye was drawn to a whole variety of discrepancies and the wonderful natural wear and mojo. :)[/quote]

I think the three knob plate was introduced during 1961, but Fender, typically, used both for a while. But a 1960 ought to be stacked knob.

The neck's stamped September 60. It could be a bass which was assembled in 61, which would explain the three knob plate?

Edited by simon1964

Yeah stacks went up to 62... and a pre-62 would normally have the "earth strap" but it may have been messed with.
The parts look right but the body looks like smeones taken paint stripper and a blow torch to it.
The back of the neck is certainly not worn in the way that every old Fender I've seen has- ie the signs of the gradual erosion of the surface by the players' hands...

Some good spots there guys - there's one that does it for me though - the bridge pickup is back nearer the bridge in the style of 70s Jazzes. I've had enough Pre-CBS examples through my hands over the years to know that pickup should be closer to the edge of the control plate - something they get right on most repros!

[quote Are the filled in screw holes on the neck normal?
[/quote]

Nope -that's where they've filled in the holes that lined up with the original 60s body and made new ones to suit what I think is a much later one. I'm pretty sure the neck is an original although most likely re-finned at some time. The rest of it - Naaah

Well, from what I can see, other than what's already pointed out, is that the tuning pegs are definately not original. There is so much wrong with the bass that only a fool would touch it - despite the claim that they do not sell fakes!

This looks like a bitser bass made from old and new parts. I note there are no pictures of the electronics, which is a tell tell sign (if ever one was needed in this case).

Neck could still be real, pegs definitely re-issue - worm and cogs too 'busy'-originals are more 'spare' in that department (does that make sense?). Truss rod adjust nut replaced with hex - hopefully with correct thread. Re-fin would explain the strange laquer behaviour. This guy has some cheek to say he 'no sell fakes'. You know what? if he told me he was a liar, I wouldn't believe him.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='421985' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:19 PM']pegs definitely re-issue - worm and cogs too 'busy'-originals are more 'spare' in that department (does that make sense?).[/quote]

I think you're talking about the "ratio" of the machineheads - too many windings. And yes, you're 100% correct.

I was reading a thread recently about this dealer - he claims to be in Australia, but he's actually in one of the south-east Asian countries (I can't recall whether it was Indonesia, Malaysia or what). You can take what you like from that - there's certainly no reason that a vintage Fender can't be located in one of those countries, however, why claim to be in one place when you're actually somewhere else?

And, sure enough - my trusty friend "Google" has given me an Indonesian community page about Erikguitars.

[url="http://www.kaskus.us/member.php?u=161772"]http://www.kaskus.us/member.php?u=161772[/url]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='421985' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:19 PM']Neck could still be real, pegs definitely re-issue - worm and cogs too 'busy'-originals are more 'spare' in that department (does that make sense?). Truss rod adjust nut replaced with hex - hopefully with correct thread. Re-fin would explain the strange laquer behaviour. This guy has some cheek to say he 'no sell fakes'. You know what? if he told me he was a liar, I wouldn't believe him.[/quote]

IMHO - I don't think the neck is real... as mentioned, not only should the truss rod adjuster nut have a deep cut hex nut, but the position of the truss rod itself doesn't look right - on 1958-62 slab board necks the hole for truss rod adjuster nut was actually cut into the rosewood (see pics of a real 1960 Jazz neck & a '62 P Bass neck).
[attachment=21256:6ecc_1.JPG.jpg]
[attachment=21257:62p_neck_date.jpg]
The hole on this dodgy neck only just clips the edge of the fretboard - & only then because it's been so poorly drilled/re-drilled out...

As for the body? No mutes holes by the bridge & no router hump - pretty conclusive that the body isn't original. And the finish definitely isn't right - all the early burst Jazz basses I've seen had a lot of black in the finish, with a much a smaller area used for the red/yellow.
As for the dreadful faked ageing on the neck & the body... It's just comical.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='422005' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:44 PM']I think you're talking about the "ratio" of the machineheads - too many windings. And yes, you're 100% correct.[/quote]

Spot-on. Here's a pic of a real set of 1960 Jazz bass tuners as a comparison...

[attachment=21258:60_jazz_tuners.jpg]

[quote name='YouMa' post='421808' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:17 PM']The varnish ware does not look right to me,would a one of this date not craze and crack more,it looks more like its been melted.[/quote]
Looks like someone whacked it on the barbie. mate?

Im pretty sure cellulose cracks,lifts etc,urethayne melts.Wish i had not been in my current payment dispute with ebay (I have not payed there fees cause i dont like them anymore) otherwise i would love to message the dude. However saying that the grain on the fingerboard looks genuine to me,i have been priviledged enough to drool over a real 1960 jazz before and the grain on the fingerboard did look similar,hes gone over the top with the tea/golden virginia staining though.Looks like fag ash rubbed into the distressed urethayne patches.

Edited by YouMa