Why become a member? ×

1960 Jazz Bass

mistahbenn

[quote name='YouMa' post='422623' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:20 PM']I just messaged him and he tried to sell me his sister,said something about love me long time,no honey no funny![/quote]
I suspect you're just having another sexual delusion.

[quote name='wmsheep' post='422531' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:32 PM']Doesnt the "Webright" stamp on the neck pertain to early/mid 70`s necks?[/quote]

Yes but the odd thing about that is 70s necks would have a 'cambered' fingerboard as opposed to slab. Also the shot of the back of the headstock proves it's never been fitted with anything other than reverse Klusons - the later 'fan shaped' heads only line up with 3 out of the 4 holes so it would show a fifth hole for each head. I'm begining to think it's a repro neck with a fake (oooh sorry Erik) pencilled date.

Be careful about showing any interest in his sister - could be fake i.e. a bloke dressed up

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='422668' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:07 PM']Yes but the odd thing about that is 70s necks would have a 'cambered' fingerboard as opposed to slab. Also the shot of the back of the headstock proves it's never been fitted with anything other than reverse Klusons - the later 'fan shaped' heads only line up with 3 out of the 4 holes so it would show a fifth hole for each head. I'm begining to think it's a repro neck with a fake (oooh sorry Erik) pencilled date.[/quote]

I wish it wasnt a fake! I mean really these things need more legal jurasdiction over them. If i went out with my metal detector and raided at least 3 historical (roman)sites i know of about a mile away from me,the police would string me up. Old relic guitars and basses need to start getting the same sort of respect as valuable antiques with a valued place in history,there really cant be that many 1960 Fender Jazz basses about! Surely?

[quote name='YouMa' post='422678' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:16 PM']...there really cant be that many 1960 Fender Jazz basses about! Surely?[/quote]

1960 Fender Jazz basses? Very few. Fender sales records show that the very first Jazzes were ordered around March 1960, but there's very little evidence of actual basses dated/delivered before August 1960. The generally accepted figure for numbers made in 1960 is less than 250. My own 1960 Jazz with a neck date of July '60 (and a 4XXXX serial number) has to be one of the very first made...

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='422668' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:07 PM']Yes but the odd thing about that is 70s necks would have a 'cambered' fingerboard as opposed to slab. Also the shot of the back of the headstock proves it's never been fitted with anything other than reverse Klusons - the later 'fan shaped' heads only line up with 3 out of the 4 holes so it would show a fifth hole for each head. I'm begining to think it's a repro neck with a fake (oooh sorry Erik) pencilled date.[/quote]

Yes - it's a very odd 'Frankenstein' neck! :)
And one thing is for sure - it's not an original pre-CBS Fender neck.

That kind of money would also get you a custom Jazz from pretty much any of the high end Luthiers that make such things, tailored to your specifications and with a guarantee and should you need it probably personal tech support from luthier if there were to be any issues.

Of course it wouldn't have that real vintage 'vibe' or 'mojo' but then again neither does the bass in question here!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='422977' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:47 AM']Out of interest, how much could he of got for it if it hadn't been relic-a-tized and he'd told the truth about the origin of all the parts?[/quote]

It depends on what that origin actually is. Considering the fact that this seller also has links to Asian guitar manufacturers, there's a chance than the whole thing is bogus. So - what's an SX bass worth these days?

Edited by bassaussie

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='423195' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:53 PM']Fair enough, I thought the consensus was that it was built from 70's parts but I've been reading a few different relic threads on different forums and could be getting in a mucking fuddle. :)[/quote]

Yeah, fair enough.

Look, I have no specific information on this bass, although my gut feeling is that it's completely bogus.

However, there's long been stories about a cottage industry in Asia that makes vintage replicas and attempts to get them into circulation on the vintage market. Remember, as bassplayers, we see the occasional instrument getting into the 10K region, but if you're talking guitars, it's quite easy to find vintage instruments that are worth 50K, 100K and more. With those sorts of values floating around, there are going to be people tempted to make something that can be passed off for a vintage instrument. Like anything, there will be different levels of perfection provided - some will create instruments that even the experts have trouble deciding upon, others will put up half-*ssed efforts that can fool enough people on Ebay to get a result, and then there are others that are painfully obvious. I'd put the bass in question in that middle bracket - it's got enough "right" about it to fool people who haven't done enough homework.

While people may scream and shout about this kind of fradulent behaviour, it's no different to what's gone on in antique markets for years and years. Take antique furniture, for example, there's so many forgeries around it's not funny, and the reason there are is because there's a market for it. It's just another example of caveat emptor.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='423207' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:06 PM']Yeah, fair enough.

Look, I have no specific information on this bass, although my gut feeling is that it's completely bogus.

However, there's long been stories about a cottage industry in Asia that makes vintage replicas and attempts to get them into circulation on the vintage market. Remember, as bassplayers, we see the occasional instrument getting into the 10K region, but if you're talking guitars, it's quite easy to find vintage instruments that are worth 50K, 100K and more. With those sorts of values floating around, there are going to be people tempted to make something that can be passed off for a vintage instrument. Like anything, there will be different levels of perfection provided - some will create instruments that even the experts have trouble deciding upon, others will put up half-*ssed efforts that can fool enough people on Ebay to get a result, and then there are others that are painfully obvious. I'd put the bass in question in that middle bracket - it's got enough "right" about it to fool people who haven't done enough homework.

While people may scream and shout about this kind of fradulent behaviour, it's no different to what's gone on in antique markets for years and years. Take antique furniture, for example, there's so many forgeries around it's not funny, and the reason there are is because there's a market for it. It's just another example of caveat emptor.[/quote]
It makes you think though. If it's so realistic a fake that an expert believes it's genuine, then to you it is genuine, therefore there being no real problem (well... theoretically).

Sort of reminds me of an episode of Hustle I saw a while back.

Edited by mathewsanchez

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='424066' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:59 PM']It makes you think though. If it's so realistic a fake that an expert believes it's genuine, then to you it is genuine, therefore there being no real problem (well... theoretically).[/quote]

Absolutely! And no one knows any the wiser until it shows up on the Antique Road Show! :)

So are all these mojo fakes a good thing then?

Because surely when a real one with good provenience comes along the guitar will command an even higher price than what people are willing to pay for an iffy blowtorch bass : seller is obviously happy and buyer is happy because owning a guitar that someone else has already mojo'd for you is good (apparently). Meanwhile these other butchered fakes can do the rounds (presumably picking up more mojo as they go - thus increasing their value - despite their pedigree) but in a more reasonable price bracket because the market is flooded - again, buyer is happy because other people's mojo is good (apparently).
This of course is based upon the assumption that beat up guitars don't actually sound any better than pristine vintage or even new basses (I'm not talking about factory new, I'm talking about basses built to spec) or....

... is it just a load of pish?

Why do chewed up guitars increase in value whereas you can't give away a car with a bit or rust in the arches.

And where does Fender's Road Worn Series fit into all this.

Bonkers. :)