Why become a member? ×

The Ibby Talman short scale appreciation society.

Maude

4 hours ago, james_027 said:

thanks for sharing this picture, does anybody bother to relocate the position of these knobs by changing a pickguard with new knob holes?

It's not something I've tried or needed to do as I don't find that the controls are in the way for the way I play. But I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done if you wanted to move them, although you'd probably be restricted as to where the routes are under the scratch plate unless you're thinking of doing some additional routing. Obviously you'd only be able to move the 2 on the scratch plate itself as the third control is on the metal strat style input thingy. Out of interest, why are you thinking of moving the controls? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, stewblack said:

You ignited my GAS with this thread and I'm really glad you did. 

One the one hand, you're welcome. On the other, don't bloody blame me. 😁

They do sound good don't they. As I mentioned earlier I've got mine set up as a piccolo bass, which I'm enjoying for some alternative noodling, but it's going to end up back as a normal bass sooner or later because it's such a gnarly little beast. 

Glad you're enjoying yours. 

🙂

1 hour ago, Maude said:

One the one hand, you're welcome. On the other, don't bloody blame me. 😁

They do sound good don't they. As I mentioned earlier I've got mine set up as a piccolo bass, which I'm enjoying for some alternative noodling, but it's going to end up back as a normal bass sooner or later because it's such a gnarly little beast. 

Glad you're enjoying yours. 

🙂

Put it this way, I switched to my Squier Standard Precision after a lengthy noodling, and it sounded flubbry and jibbly in comparison. And that's a bass I usually think of as grunchy and whumpy. But the Ibby, in comparison was just solid Grunch and Squobb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/04/2020 at 13:43, Maude said:

By some weird coincidence I seem to have a thing for short scales at the moment and this is the latest addition to the fun little family, an Ibanez Talman in, what I think is rather fetching Ivory. Bought from PMT online for the meagre sum of £151 delivered to my door. 

I fancied trying a piccolo bass and have always quite liked the look of these. I looked at a couple of reviews and my mind was made up. Now I could've just put some piccolo strings on one of my existing short scales but where's the fun in that. 

Anyway it turned up yesterday evening and I've only just been able to properly play it, and it's fantastic. Really well built and the hardware seems just as good as any bass in the sub £500 range. Paint is good, the pickups sound great, controls are responsive. It's a PJ and when pickups are solo'd it sounds like a P should and the J has that nasal quality but sounds good, both on full the volume drops slightly but back of the J to about 75% and the tone on about 50% and it sounds great. 

The neck is satin and lovely and smooth with some quite nice grain but very light in colour and the fretboard is quite light as well due to being something that's not rosewood, I don't know what, but I real life looks better than I'd thought it was going be, quite a depth to the colours in the wood. Frets are all nicely finished and it plays great straight out of the box, a couple of tiny tweeks would improve it but that's a personal thing and it'll be getting a set of piccolo strings, which have just dropped through the door for £6 from Amazon, so it will need tweeking again anyway. 

The only bit that's not great is a dull patch on the front of the upper horn that needs polishing. It's looks like it has been flatted slightly and not polished up properly, or some of the polystyrene packing may have been rubbing on it in transit. Either way it'll polish up no problem and I'm overly fussy with paint anyway so some might not have ever noticed it. For the money I'm not going to complain. What you can get for so little money these days is amazing. 

Enough rambling, I know you all just want pictures. 😉

20200424_114503.thumb.jpg.ce804b63450816bb1def2b6e7955f18a.jpg

20200424_114535.thumb.jpg.f2d09beda7890efd1fb45de98f765c70.jpg

20200424_114520.thumb.jpg.0c33df76b96f471a558b592e53eb10aa.jpg

20200424_114640.thumb.jpg.7aba098a57de86207d0340cf5055b60c.jpg

20200424_114603.thumb.jpg.dad01268d779dcb14ed751c43ff30457.jpg

20200424_114428.thumb.jpg.eed0b17ded8c7cdd8f0fa64d65a1b8cd.jpg

20200424_114926.thumb.jpg.d534cd385248648d4c253c02ac3dca10.jpg

This the paint patch in the light making it look worse than it actually is, then some pics with reflections on the paint so you can see the finish. 

20200424_114830.thumb.jpg.57c1feefc9182adaa8106b52a94125ae.jpg

20200424_114742.thumb.jpg.13d15cf8d0ecd892f146f625bd810ece.jpg

20200424_114801.thumb.jpg.e2415970246ccec2a1c76698debb4d91.jpg

I'm not sure I like the control knobs, but again for the money I can't grumble. 

20200424_114847.thumb.jpg.8245654dc70012a83552d60edbc8636f.jpg

Finally the strings that just arrived. I've got some work to do but will be fitting them later. 

20200424_115945.thumb.jpg.082cd19e76d6c941e0ffdb7a8b8aa363.jpg

So there you go. I can thoroughly recommend one of theses if you fancy a classic looking short scale. 🙂

Congratulations. :i-m_so_happy:

I am actually quite sure the fretboard is jatoba wood, just like the fretboard on my 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, it has that characteristic redish hue and dense smooth grain look, and I know it is a frequently used wood type by Ibanez.

How it looks compared to rosewood I guess is a matter of personal taste alone, but jatoba is both a considerably harder and denser wood type than rosewood, and it has a considerably higher elastic modulus (stiffness) as well, which ought to contribute to make the neck more stable and sturdy.

In fact it is harder and stiffer than even maple, and hardness and stiffness wise much more similar to ebony (only slightly softer and slightly stiffer), tone wise though, if you believe in such a thing as tonewood, it allegedly should sit somewhere between the brightness of maple and the warmness of rosewood.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I caved in last night and ordered a Talman TB30. I have an Oil City Overkill bridge pickup on the way which tips its hat to a Ric, so will most likely get that installed and maybe upgrade the p pickup as I go. I don't *need* this bass, but it was a good price... GAS...

• Like 1

Here it is. Pickups and action could do with a little adjusting, but plays well "out of the box". Don't know how they can afford to make these and sell them at such a low cost. I have an oil city overkill J size pickup I am thinking of putting in the bridge, and putting a Wilkinson set off a Vintage p bass in the p slot. So far so good with this little thing though.

l7rJWk2.jpg

8ao8gBs.jpg

• Like 1

I have this exact colour scheme. It's so easy to play. But the sound from it is huge! 

Truly insane how good it is for a sub 200 quid guitar. It's the only thing I've found to contend with HB in the value for money stakes. 

• Like 1

i'm hoping to join in soon with the Talman love, my finger is hovering over the buy button for one of the new TMB35 basses, love the colour and played a TMB30 last year and loved it, just hesitating right now as i haven't tried the 5 string in person and normally i like to try before i buy.

Matt

p_region_TMB35_MGR_1P_01.png

EDIT - i also have a plan involving a pair of Nordstrand pickups and a bit of routing/new scratchplate but this might have to wait until some second-hand pickups are available.

Edited by Matt P
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, barrycreed said:

I should have added that I had a Squier Bronco last year, and for a cheaper short scale, this Ibanez blows it out of the water.

I am struggling between tmb30 or tmb35 and squier bronco, You help a lot with this comment. Do you have a side by side picture of bronce and talman?

On 12/06/2020 at 20:12, Matt P said:

i'm hoping to join in soon with the Talman love, my finger is hovering over the buy button for one of the new TMB35 basses, love the colour and played a TMB30 last year and loved it, just hesitating right now as i haven't tried the 5 string in person and normally i like to try before i buy.

Matt

p_region_TMB35_MGR_1P_01.png

EDIT - i also have a plan involving a pair of Nordstrand pickups and a bit of routing/new scratchplate but this might have to wait until some second-hand pickups are available.

Have you got it?

On 12/06/2020 at 01:38, Maude said:

No sooner said than done. 🙂

Thanks, hoping for more 5 string feedbacks

On 06/06/2020 at 02:14, stewblack said:

Put it this way, I switched to my Squier Standard Precision after a lengthy noodling, and it sounded flubbry and jibbly in comparison. And that's a bass I usually think of as grunchy and whumpy. But the Ibby, in comparison was just solid Grunch and Squobb.

What is your EQ set or your volume and tone set?

@james_027 I don't have the Bronco anymore, but just out of the box the Ibanez feels a lot better, and sounds better, though a very different pickup config. Feels better to me anyway, and these things can be subjective. The bronco was ok, but always struggled with the action and intonation on it, especially around the 7th tp 12th fret, seemed to be "not the best"...

@james_027 I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I was hoping to buy from PMT at their Newcastle branch as they have excellent customer service but i have just got off the phone with the very polite gentleman an thier bass department and they are having to space their deliveries 2 weeks apart and have no TMB35's due so it would be a special order which if done through the shop would commit me to buy.

So it looks like i either have to wait until the shops are back to normal or i pick one of the onile retailers that have stock and rely on the distance selling regs if it's not what want (i'm 99% sure it is exactly what i want though.)

so which retailer should i go for?

Matt

• Like 1

Being completely niave here as I've never actually played one, but what are short scale five strings like, or more to the point what is the B string like? A lot of fuss is made about five strings being more than 34" scale to get a decent sounding B string, and the reason for fan frets to get a longer string run on the lower strings. 

Just curious as to how a short scale low B feels. 

34 minutes ago, Maude said:

Being completely niave here as I've never actually played one, but what are short scale five strings like, or more to the point what is the B string like? 

I've never played one either but I trust that if luthiers like ACG and others offer short scale 5s, it must work. 

Could be down to strings and tension, heard good things about Newton who will do custom balanced gauges and will probably be happy to answer queries about short scale B strings. 

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

I had an Ibanez Artcore 5 stringer which was 32"  and on Flats the low B was pretty poor, on rounds a little bit better.

What brand flats were you using? there only seem to be 2 options for 30" 5 string flats (that i can find), Dunlop or La bella, as i am mainly a flats player this is one of my concerns.

If i needed rounds i would probably go for Newtone stainless i think.

Matt

I got a black TMB100 as my first ever bass guitar a few years back, cracking little thing. I've since upgraded to a Yamaha BB but the Ibanez still gets some love every now and then. Love the PJ pickups and the preamp can get some great sounds going, if not a little hot at times. I'll dust mine off and post a pic later but I also bought a white pickguard off a dude on TalkBass and the thing looks fantastic as well!

3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Could be down to strings and tension, heard good things about Newton who will do custom balanced gauges and will probably be happy to answer queries about short scale B strings. 

Newtone are indeed very helpful but only make round-wound strings.