Why become a member? ×

The Bass Gallery

saibuster

I want to share my customer service experience with the bass gallery and hear opinions about it.

Last wednesday i took my warwick for setup and a pre-amp custom job i had in mind.

When i got there i met Martin, i explain my problems and what i want to do and he was very nice, took his time
to look at my needs and offered some really nice solutions. We agreed that i will come to collect the bass the following wednesday ( a week after ) and that
i should give him a call a day before coming to collect it. I left the gallery with a very good feeling that my bass is in good hands. It also felt very good to have
this sort of personal customer treatment.

I wasn't able to collect the bass yesterday (wednesday), and so decided i will come and collect it tomorrow (friday). I called today and asked for Martin, the guy
who answered said that Martin is off for holiday. I explained to the guy who i'm, and that im coming to collect the bass. His replay was that no one started to work on the bass.
I asked him how come, and he said that Martin went on holiday and he cannot read the notes that he left on the bass (A to do list). At that point i got to upset and decided that i'd better finish the conversation and go get a cold glass of water...

What is going on here??? I left the bass there for more than a week and they didnt even touch it!!!
This is my only bass, i dont have a backup bass. I have a very important recording session on saturday
that i needed my bass in top condition for and now i just dont know what to do!!

I heard so many good things about the gallery and i just dont know how to explain this. This is the same sort of customer service i would
expect to get at Denmark street. I'm extremely disappointed.

That's not good at all. One would have hoped that they took your contact details so they could have given you a call to check what work was to be done on it. Seeing how they don't seem to have given you a call, maybe you could get back on the phone and explain your situation and what needed doing to the bass.

Hopefully they'll be able to sort you out before Saturday - good customer service is all about how they react when things do go wrong.

I have learnt to set up my own basses its not hard,there is no way i would let some one else do it. I also have learnt about electronics enough to be able to build/service my own instruments/amps/effects. I would not let anyone else sharpen my sword and with the internet if you care about your instrument you can learn to. I would be suprised if the bass gallery lasted much more than a couple more years. I really am being honest here you can learn in a couple of weeks what they charge you a lot of money for,you are being taken for a ride.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='Musky' post='414934' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:18 AM']good customer service is all about how they react when things do go wrong.[/quote]

+1

I write bespoke code for a living, which practically never works properly first time. Key skills: Humility, a sense of humour, and dropping everything the very minute someone calls you about code that is needed right now and isn't working properly.

My customers know the score, they know I provide as good a service as they'll find anywhere, and I'm nice.

The guys at The Gallery have never let me down before - they've even loaned me instruments in the past when I've had a gig or been in a pinch and they've either been servicing or building a bass for me (although they do know me quite well, as I've been going there since the early 90's). Explain the situation to Alex and I'm sure they'll help you out - their reputation for good customer service is well-earned and they pride themselves on it. Even if Martin's away, John can easily handle a setup, although Martin is the main electronics guy, so that probably won't get done while he's away. A lot of pros use The Gallery, and they appreciate the fact that some people need their instruments returned to them quickly.

Edited by Russ

[quote name='Russ' post='414952' date='Feb 20 2009, 04:28 AM']The guys at The Gallery have never let me down before - they've even loaned me instruments in the past when I've had a gig or been in a pinch and they've either been servicing or building a bass for me (although they do know me quite well, as I've been going there since the early 90's). Explain the situation to Alex and I'm sure they'll help you out - their reputation for good customer service is well-earned and they pride themselves on it. Even if Martin's away, John can easily handle a setup, although Martin is the main electronics guy, so that probably won't get done while he's away. A lot of pros use The Gallery, and they appreciate the fact that some people need their instruments returned to them quickly.[/quote]
+1

They've always been brilliant when I've used them and their reputation is definitely based upon the fact that they work with and understand the needs of their customers..

Best thing would be to explain the urgency of your situation to them and give them a chance to respond. Hope it all works out for you!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='414977' date='Feb 20 2009, 07:59 AM']+1

They've always been brilliant when I've used them and their reputation is definitely based upon the fact that they work with and understand the needs of their customers..

Best thing would be to explain the urgency of your situation to them and give them a chance to respond. Hope it all works out for you![/quote]

+2 give them a ring and calmly explain your situation, I would be very suprised indeed if they didnt look after you.

[quote name='YouMa' post='414939' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:12 AM']I would be suprised if the bass gallery lasted much more than a couple more years. I really am being honest here you can learn in a couple of weeks what they charge you a lot of money for,you are being taken for a ride.[/quote]

???????????????? ;) You know they build Sei basses right? Some of the best basses you're ever likely to come across? They're also about the most reasonable in terms of charges that I've ever seen. As has already been pointed out, many top pros use them, which is surely endorsement enough.

With regards to the OP, I can't explain this particular incident but I know they have been dreadfully busy recently, so maybe that's a factor. I've never had a bad experience with them and I've been going there since 1996. Did you explain at the time when you needed it for? They're usually very accommodating.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='YouMa' post='414939' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:12 AM']I have learnt to set up my own basses its not hard,there is no way i would let some one else do it. I also have learnt about electronics enough to be able to build/service my own instruments/amps/effects. I would not let anyone else sharpen my sword and with the internet if you care about your instrument you can learn to. I would be suprised if the bass gallery lasted much more than a couple more years. I really am being honest here you can learn in a couple of weeks what they charge you a lot of money for,you are being taken for a ride.[/quote]
I'd guessed this was a 3.00AM post because it don't make no sense boy ;)
if you were charging someone else to set up their instruments and it took, say, 1-2 hours, how much would you charge? £15 an hour? £20? Sure you can set up action and intonation but how many players have the skills or time to do fretstones, or check warped necks, or fill in cracks in a bass (or guitar)? If you have a problem that the Internet can't fix then what do you do?
As 4000 said they make fantastic basses and also [i]sell[/i] basses, you know, like a shop! So I would expect that the bulk of the business lies there.
If the Gallery were not to be any more it would be a massive shame, just for the wide selection of new and secondhand basses they have - better even than the Bass Centre was in its heyday. However they have a large and varied customer base from beginners to some of the best players in the business. If bass playing continues to happen the Gallery will, I think be around for a long time to come...

Hi Sailbuster

sadly i wasn't in when you dropped the bass off originally, and the 1st time i am aware of the situation is when you rang yesterday, Now i have no idea why martin was an able to to the electronic work to your bass without speaking to him and perhaps there was some reason for it which was beyond his control. I will try and get to the bottom of it for you and apologise in the mean time on his behalf.

That said we are always willing to help with loaned equipment if you are stuck, but it is down to you to eplain the situation to us so we can sort something out.

We do try and make sure all our customers are happy and satified, sometimes as in any situation things can go wrong and all i can do is apologise again and see what i can find out for you.

alex

There's your response right there.

I'm sure if you give Alex a call right now and explain the situation fully, then it'll be sorted out for you in time for your session.

I agree with the posts people made about good customer service coming from the ability to react to bad situations. The fact that Alex has bothered to respond on here and is even dialed in to this community full-stop is an indication of the degree to which the Gallery goes to achieve good customer service.

I've been over there a few times and I have to say that I thought that the attitude of the place was fantastic. I'm sure that this was a one-off situation. With the best will in the world everything cannot possibly work perfectly 100% of the time in life. And as someone else said, it's how people react to a perception of poor customer service that defines them.

[quote name='thegallery' post='415469' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:54 PM']Hi

we are 142 Royal College St NW1 off Camden Road, but sadly not open Sundays, Monday to Saturday only

alex[/quote]

That's a shame I've been wanting to come up for ages and I'm in Camden on Sunday, nevermind I'll make it up when I need to buy my next bass.

I've always had 1st class service from the Gallery. In my experience they have been the only service who offer serious support to the working muso, and have the resources, knowledge and attitude to do so. They are totally professional and I know will sort you out asap. There is no b.s. with them and that for me is invaluable. Shame to read a bad exp on here. I'm glad to see there's well deserved support for them nonetheless.
Cheers all.

ok, a positive update!

I came to pickup the bass today after Alex had done a very good setup on it, and basically finished almost everything i've asked for.
After speaking with Alex, who is a very nice and helpful guy, I realised that this whole situation was beyond anyones control and
that there was definitely no bad customer service involved. I would recommend the gallery to anyone and im definitely going
to use their services again!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='415923' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:04 AM']Glad to hear it's been resolved![/quote]

+1

My experiences with the Gallery have always been very positive. They have always been very accommodating, friendly and helpful. Despite my limited skills as a bass player I have never been made to feel inferior while trying stuff in the shop, and boy, do they let you try some nice stuff!!!