Why become a member? ×

Three Defining Bands

stewblack

The sex pistols - I was a weird 10 year old

Iron Maiden - Paul Di’Anno years - when I realised I didn’t like the chart music my class mates were listening to.

Bob Mould - in Sugar/ Husker Du/ solo - just amazing wall of noise sound on Beaster that has never been bettered in my opinion. Tilted is the single most perfect song ever for me. My top 10 swings and changes on a daily basis but rarely is Tilted ever challenged for top spot.

• Like 2

The Stranglers - why I am a bass player.

Rush - why I compose and play the music I do.

Big Country/ Stuart Adamson: why I compose with guitar, and my instruction manual for songcraft, melody, The Art Of The Hook, and responsible for my tendency towards the anthemic and epic.

18 hours ago, KevB said:

After that came the cheap compilations that featured 'soundalike' artists doing the hits of the time.

That sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you discover you bought the 'Mr Pickwick' version of the Star Wars album not the original...

Elton John started out singing on a lot of that sort of album

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Eye Level. I can remember that one. Was that not from a TV detective series

Van Der Valk!

12 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I am struggling to get it down to 3. I spent a lot of time with Yes, Bruford and Weather Report but what about Rush, Brand X, ELO (early on) and a massive Wynton Marsalis period. I think it is easier for me to do it in three genres: Prog, Fusion and Jazz. 

Narrow it down to your first recollection of each topic or the first album you bought from each topic.

I found on my own choices it was first single or album i bought from each genre.

Dave

57 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I am struggling to get it down to 3. I spent a lot of time with Yes, Bruford and Weather Report but what about Rush, Brand X, ELO (early on) and a massive Wynton Marsalis period. I think it is easier for me to do it in three genres: Prog, Fusion and Jazz. 

No Saxon?  Surprises me.

On 20/02/2020 at 17:50, dmccombe7 said:

What was the first music you really liked that was solely your choice and not your parents. Maybe the first single (depending on your age) or even album.

Did you ever buy an album that changed your style of listening or a band that you continue to like to this day lie Rush for me.

Just a few helpful tips to focus the mind and see what you come up with.

Dave

Ok

Kim Wilde (pre SAW)

Neil's Heavy Concept Album

The Thompson Twins

• Like 1

On 20/02/2020 at 09:50, dmccombe7 said:

What was the first music you really liked that was solely your choice and not your parents. Maybe the first single (depending on your age) or even album.

Did you ever buy an album that changed your style of listening or a band that you continue to like to this day lie Rush for me.

Just a few helpful tips to focus the mind and see what you come up with.

Good hints, Dave.

1. Sgt. Pepper was the first record I bought. I was nine. The Beatles certainly defined my parameters and horizons.

2. A mate got me into The Damned via Phantasmagoria and their 10th anniversary concert in Finsbury Park. That got me into punk, new wave, indie etc in a big way.

3. The Cocteau Twins. My first real girlfriend, 1980s squat scene, draw your own conclusions about why it's burned into my head. Part of me is always pursuing the sensations I associate with Treasure.

• Like 1

Blimey, yeah, the Top of the Pops albums. My dad would occasionally buy one (they were fairly cheap, in relative terms, as I recall) and I’d then be telling my mates I’d got the singles, albeit as part of an album!

Until the day a mate’s all-knowing older brother informed us that they weren’t actually the actual bands performing - which is why Marc Bolan didn’t sound like, erm, Marc Bolan!

Probably the same older brother who gladly informed us all that George Best didn’t actually take the time to sign the bottom of every column he did for Shoot!. “Apologies, Miss World, I cant make it tonight, I’ve got to sign every copy of a kids footie magazine” - yep, sounds feasible enough.

On the subject of those Music for Pleasure type albums, my dad (again) entered and won a crossword competition in the local paper (Coventry Evening Telegraph) and the prize on that occasion was a selection of MFP LPs - ‘Greatest War Themes’, ‘Classic Western Themes’ etc. There were a couple of pieces in there that I really clicked with, even as a kid. The Lonely Bull by Herb Alpert’s Sounds of Tijuana Brass was something I played over and over - “it sounds like a lonely bull!?!”, and Beck’s Bolero (contained as part of a compilation I don’t recall the name of) sounded like it came from another planet.

In truth there was probably something on all of the LPs that I found appealing, just because it was recorded music, and at that age there wasn’t that much I could get my hands on...

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think first up was The Sweet.  The three or four singles Blockbuster, Hellraiser, Ballroom Blitz and Teenage Rampage, along with b-sides.

Next up my foray into albums, Sparks.  Kimono, Propaganda and Indiscreet.

Finally, Japan.  The first three albums.

Again, Sparks were great! That’s why Top of the Pops was such a fun but important programme growing up - seeing them for the first time doing ‘This Town...’ was something else. The look of Ron, and the sound of Russell. The guitar riff/playing. The gunshots!!

Great pop music... 

• Like 4