Why become a member? ×

Scotland/North of England Bassbash

skelf

What they said ^

It was a real pleasure to meet each and every one of you and to bare witness to some righteous basses and bass playing.
Did I really see Dave tapping like a mofo possessed on Neepheid's Les Paul? Or was it just the Ketamine....... I've said too much. :)

Nice one Alan. Put me down for next time.

I had a most enjoyable weekend although I bailed out on Saturday night at about 11 being a complete light weight.

Very pleased with the venue and due to the slightly disappointing numbers allowed us to have a loud area in the theatre and a quiet area in the foyer it worked out really well. There was no problem to play whatever you wanted or hear yourself so an actual proper appraisal of the gear at whatever volume you wanted was possible.
A great mix of guys I think we all got on really well and the last half hour was spent just chatting before we packed in. Great to meet up with the usual suspects and now picked a few more to add to the list so in all I had an excellent time.

Thanks to Eude and his band for being willing to make the effort to come and play. We did however cancel but caught most of the guys before they set off so hopefully they were not to hacked of.

I will be happy to sort out another of these whenever folks are interested.

Alan

Yup,
fully agree with everyone's comments above.

Want to just say enormous thanks to Alan (Skelf) for going to such an effort to organise this bash, I hope that this goes on to be a regular event and that the poor turn out doesn't spoil things.

The venue was perfect and those who turned up where all incredibly sound guys and brilliant players who all brought a wealth of basses and other equipment to try out.

Was a real pleasure to meet you all, great to put real names and faces to the usernames on basschat and even awesome to get my hands on so many different basses in one afternoon - all the way from a 1 string to a 12 string!
Even had a shot of a very fine G**tar that Alan made too.

Spose, everyone who didn't comes' loss was very much our gain.
Plus I got off lightly and didn't have to perform probably the scariest gig I could ever think of - in front of an audience made up almost entirely of bass players!

Cheers guys and lets make the next one even better!

Eude

Was a bit too hungover to remember to keep taking pics (doh!) but I managed a couple...

Not sure if Neepheid actually wanted to come or if he'd been booted out with all his worldly belongings :)
[attachment=24134:Bass_Shiva.jpg]

In the loud area. L to R Eude, Neeps, Greenking, 7string, a token guitarist (who's a great bass player too) and Sugden.
[attachment=24135:Stage.jpg]

Dave's headless acg 5 and some random junk that came down with us fae Aberdeen.
[attachment=24136:Gear.jpg]

Oh and furthermore, I was delighted to find a complete lack of gear snobbery at the bass bash at the weekend - guys with ACGs, Overwaters and Statii picking up my Epiphone Les Paul Standard and complimenting it, as well as the rest of the rag-tag collection of upgraded tat I brought down with me. I only felt intimidated for the first half hour :)

Dave went from "it looks like a guitar, get it out of my sight" to "actually, I really quite like that" to playing some crazy tapping solo on it. We have a winner!

Yup, a very relaxed meeting. :)

I've got to admit to being nervous coming to this meeting as I hadn't had the chance to practice much the week before! I needn't have worried though as there was never any kind of competition either in chops or gear. My wife came along with me in case I got to tired to drive home and she had a great time listening to basses being played and getting stuck into a good book (the 1st of a 14 book series). :rolleyes:

Leave a few bass players alone in a room with some basses in the 'wee hours' and ......

I went to bed a 3am and they were still going :rolleyes:

Our venue for the day:

Some basses (before my camera battery failed):

and a guitar:

The inimitable Dave Perry contemplates another string:

Alan (Skelf) Paul (Sugden) and Paul's mate whose name Paul will no doubt remind me. Nice guy for a guitard and boy did he get some stick :)

The mighty nine string being put to bed by Mark - guess his forum name?

Shame I took one flat battery and one duff one for my camera!!!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='468900' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:30 PM']That blue fretless bass attracts me like a magnet...[/quote]
It was one of my favourites of the weekend. It is effortless to play - really silky in your hand. I was left with the impression that you could play it all day long and not get tired fingers.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='468916' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:47 PM']The blue fretless is (which I was lucky enough to have a chance to play at the 2007 Bass Day) is probably one of the nicest instruments I've ever played and it looks fantastic too![/quote]

Erk, I'm coming over all funny...

Bit of a late follow up but my card reader had gone walk about.

First off got to say a great thanks to Alan (Skelf) for sorting everything out, doesn't have to go through the effort but always does. Cheers.

Also thanks to Dave for driving up the other half of my journey, due to a massive lack of space you'd have thought when someone buys an estate it would you know have some room in it. :)

I was actually very happy with the numbers that showed up I thought it was a great day, great chatting with everyone and getting to play some gear in a very, very well mannered fashion. On the note of Alan's effort have to say the only thing I was a bit disappointed about was the lack of people telling Alan they weren't coming if anything just so we could let the band know earlier no one else was bothering really doesn't take long to post up on basschat or shoot a pm to someone. Just common courtesy I think.

That a side it was a great event, nice to have a full weekend of it good curry with many noodling bassists into the night. I'll have everyone know a comfy pair of slippers and ovaltine is a very acceptable way to end the evening especially when some fool invites you to Cardiff for cocktails the evening before just for the record Gin, Vodka and Martini tastes like paint stripper.

But I have got some pics :rolleyes: :

Lovely location with the before mentioned Mr Richard Webb guitarist looking far too smooth for the morning after. Very lucky we didnt sacrifice him if you ask me.

Mr Ou7shined in a much more acceptable recovery position after the evening before.

Large room for blasting the bass out

Eude's 6 string

Eude looking very pleased with him self, little does he know 7 string will be taking that Sei home with him again

7 Strings other basses at the gathering

I really don't think theres enough strings on this fantastic bass

Ou7shined's lovely pair of basses and the right one with a fantastic little addition to the headstock thats very nice indeed very tasteful.

Alan trying to run out of shot with, GreeneKing, 7String, and Eude chatting about cake.

Skelf chatting to David I Perry and trying to escape a photo once again

neepheid's very intresting collection les paul shape needs special mention how that thing doesnt have neck dive I will never know, lovely to play too.

Edited by Sugden

Noodling bassist

GreeneKings lovely singlecut acg and my shuttle and Alans DR bass cab which I'm totaly in love with, and will be shortly contemplating adding a DR bass cab to my collection

I'm sure thats enough pics for one day, was a good do hope to see everyone again some time.

[quote name='Sugden' post='469420' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:21 AM']....I was actually very happy with the numbers that showed up I thought it was a great day, great chatting with everyone and getting to play some gear in a very, very well mannered fashion. On the note of Alan's effort have to say the only thing I was a bit disappointed about was the lack of people telling Alan they weren't coming if anything just so we could let the band know earlier no one else was bothering really doesn't take long to post up on basschat or shoot a pm to someone. Just common courtesy I think...[/quote]Word!

Great pics man.