Why become a member? ×

Scotland/North of England Bassbash

skelf

Either is good for me...

[b]Edit:[/b] The only thing to be said for having it on a Sunday is that it pretty much rules out people looking to use public transport to get down. The first bus from Glasgow leaves at 15:00 and arrives at 16:25, and the last one back leaves Moffat at 18:00. I guess I should start looking for a lift then! Any other day of the week would be do-able by bus, but I can understand the reasons for having it on a Sunday – though, being a Sunday, I would think that having coffee on tap may be pretty essential ;)

[url="http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/X74tt_21st_Dec_2008website.pdf"]http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/X7...2008website.pdf[/url]

Edited by ~tl

With a little co-ordination it should be possible to get some lifts organised for those that may need them. As we get closer to the event we can start sorting that out. I really don't want anyone excluded from this so I will do my best to make sure it gets sorted out.

I will be of tomorrow to see if I can get the local cafe to offer a take away service to those who need some food during the course of the day and I should be able to sort out some tea/coffee and buns in the venue. I will visit the local bakers and see what can be done.

Alan

I oould be up for this as long as I have someone to share the drive/petrol as I get bored driving the long way down there. I've just endured the drive from Southport to Falkirk this weekend. Pretty easy/dull stuff.

I could bring the Gold Warmoth, Genz Shuttle & Schroeder 1212L if anyone's interested.

Right guys a few things on the go at this bash if I can get enough people interested.

I have been in touch with Chris at Overwater and he will be coming alone with a selection of lovely Overwater basses.

Also for your entertainment Eude and his band Ten Storeys High will finish the day of with a set.
[url="http://www.tenstoreyshigh.com/"]Band website.[/url]

I have a few other people that I am trying to line up.

At the end of the day this will only be possible if there are enough people interested.

Alan

At the risk of repeating myself I'll be heading up the M6 from Kendal and will gladly sweep up any stragglers.

I'll probably heading North on the Saturday though. Making the most of the delights of a pint or two of 'heavy' and a bundle or two for being an 'English poof' ;)

Peter

Hi Alan

would it be possible to have the venue for a little longer than in Harrogate ?
The day seemed to pass very quickly and I for one would prefer say 10am to 6pm or 11am - 7pm This would mean the early birds could get away sooner if they traveling home a way and could still have 4 - 5 hours there. Others who have been gigging Saturday could turn up later.
What are your views on this ?

Paul

[quote name='skelf' post='412590' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:34 PM']Open to suggestions as to the best opening hours so feel free to air your thoughts.
Alan[/quote]

I think it depends upon what is going on during the day. If its just a gathering to try out bass gear and look at stuff then 12ish-5ish I think is [i]plenty [/i]of time, if the plan is to have a couple of guest speakers then [i]perhaps [/i]a little more time could be handy, but I still think it probably enough for most people. You have to factor in that most poeple will have an hour or two travelling (at least) and even perhaps a hang over to nurture.... ;)

It has to be said that your ears do tend to start shutting down after a few hours of bass....its perhaps nice to break it up into a couple of talks for those who want a break from the slappity slap, boomady boom, so if it starts at 12, perhaps a first talk at 2 and then a second talk at 3.30 ish....

Just my thoughts

Dave

I think it should start at 11.00 - we could play bass for an hour and then go and shoot a guitarist. We could come back and have some lunch, play bass until 2.00 and then go out and shoot another guitarist. More bass until 3.00, then a cup of tea and we'll go out and shoot a squirrel.

Did you ask - "Why a squirrel and not a guitarist?"

THAT is the right attitude. ;)

Sorry I'll get my fur coat.

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='412734' date='Feb 18 2009, 09:26 AM']I think it depends upon what is going on during the day. If its just a gathering to try out bass gear and look at stuff then 12ish-5ish I think is [i]plenty [/i]of time, if the plan is to have a couple of guest speakers then [i]perhaps [/i]a little more time could be handy, but I still think it probably enough for most people. You have to factor in that most poeple will have an hour or two travelling (at least) and even perhaps a hang over to nurture.... ;)

It has to be said that your ears do tend to start shutting down after a few hours of bass....its perhaps nice to break it up into a couple of talks for those who want a break from the slappity slap, boomady boom, so if it starts at 12, perhaps a first talk at 2 and then a second talk at 3.30 ish....

Just my thoughts

Dave[/quote]

Whilst I agree somewhat with the above, due to my "lack" of serious amplification at Harrogate people trying my basses couldn't hear themselves think let alone the basses, nor could I when playing Spoonbungs Wal even with headphones on ! If I had had more power then even more would have gone home with a headache !
With 12 - 17.00 by the time you have set up , milled around , tried a few basses , listened to a talk and had a raffle the day has gone.
Maybe its not the time factor but the volume levels certain people were shoving out ! I have spoke to a few people and they though a few spoiled it for the majority at Harrogate. If we go that route we will all turn up with 1000 watt rigs and the day will be pointless.
At the end of the day its up to Skelf because he has been kind enough to put this together.

Paul

Edited by Prosebass