Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

I came across a track today that I really like and I don’t remember hearing  back in the day, around 1979, it was written by Tabby cat Kelly who I’m not familiar with, it was produced by Dennis Bovell , and to me I can hear a similar vibe to Matumbi , I’ll have to do some more digging to find out who played on this, anyone know anything 

31 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I came across a track today that I really like and I don’t remember hearing  back in the day, around 1979, it was written by Tabby cat Kelly who I’m not familiar with, it was produced by Dennis Bovell , and to me I can hear a similar vibe to Matumbi , I’ll have to do some more digging to find out who played on this, anyone know anything 

Arawak instantly rang bells from my record shop days. Here's a link to a little bit of information: https://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/arawak-records.html

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Arawak instantly rang bells from my record shop days. Here's a link to a little bit of information: https://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/arawak-records.html

Thanks for that myke,  love the six of the best list in the corner, the number 2 by Errol Dunkley happens to be one of my favourite tracks and Basslines 

FBF975BB-38D1-401C-931F-9F800601F097.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that myke,  love the six of the best list in the corner, the number 2 by Errol Dunkley happens to be one of my favourite tracks and Basslines 

FBF975BB-38D1-401C-931F-9F800601F097.jpeg

Note the slightly different title of the Tabby Cat record. Someone didn't proofread the advert 🤨

• Like 1

I'd put this track in the 'alright, but not amazing' pile except for one bit - check the beautiful bass note at the end of the horn riff just after the little vocal refrain. Absolute masterclass in dropping the note in exactly the right place! 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 16:40, Reggaebass said:

The new one with Clinton fearon on bass this time with Kubix 

And he's playing a Precision Bass (right up by the neck). I'm a recent convert from Jazz basses as I always thought the Precision wasn't so well suited to Reggae, it does it well though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SumOne said:

And he's playing a Precision Bass (right up by the neck). I'm a recent convert from Jazz basses as I always thought the Precision wasn't so well suited to Reggae, it does it well though.

I’ve seen Mato Cirade play that P, not sure which one of them owns it though, I used a precision for years before getting hooked on jazzes, I find you get better lows from a jazz but they both good 

• Like 1