Jump to content
Woodinblack

Scotts 30 basses

Recommended Posts

The MTD 534's tone is gorgeous. Definitely my no.1 out of the lot.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could have gigged with any of them, but I preferred the Jazz basses and definitely wouldn't have owned any of the humbuckers.

I didn't see anything that would have knocked my current Sadowsky off the perch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I honestly can't bear to watch that man. He makes my skin crawl. 

 

He's ok, harmless enough.  I'm impressed at how well he plays with a prosthetic left hand.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

He's ok, harmless enough.  I'm impressed at how well he plays with a prosthetic left hand.

To give the bloke his due, he's a superb player, and probably a superb teacher. I just can't stand his clickbait videos and five minutes of waffle before he gets to the point. I'm sure his actual paid content is much better, but his YouTube videos are more than enough to put me off. 

Anyway, yes..... basses......

As you were. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those 30 basses look amazing but are waaaay to posh for me! Wonder if we could persuade Scott to do a video with 30 budget basses? Thinking about getting my first 5 string next year and something like that video with sub £500 basses would be a great place to start.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Those 30 basses look amazing but are waaaay to posh for me! Wonder if we could persuade Scott to do a video with 30 budget basses? Thinking about getting my first 5 string next year and something like that video with sub £500 basses would be a great place to start.

If you search on you tube there are videos out there, Andertons done one, Patrick Hunter as well etc.

@Reaper you used to have a 5 string Spector as your avatar - was that just a wish list bass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh yes, I liked the MTD 534

Yeah amazing tone.  I looked it up on Bass Direct's website and was surprised to see it had a Mahogany body,   Makes me wonder with an Active instrument how much the body impacts the tone or whether it's all in the electronics.

32 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

To give the bloke his due, he's a superb player, and probably a superb teacher. I just can't stand his clickbait videos and five minutes of waffle before he gets to the point. I'm sure his actual paid content is much better, but his YouTube videos are more than enough to put me off. 

Anyway, yes..... basses......

As you were. 

There was a thread about this a while ago, and Scott even recorded a little video just for VC to respond to it.  Its quite interesting to hear his perspective, but ultimately it's a path YouTube has driven content providers down due to how their algorithms promote videos - and I imagine YouTube is one of Scott's primary sources to drive new subscribers to his academy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

If you search on you tube there are videos out there, Andertons done one, Patrick Hunter as well etc.

@Reaper you used to have a 5 string Spector as your avatar - was that just a wish list bass?

Hey Cuzzie, you've got a good memory! Yeah very much wish list - I saw one on BC and really liked the look of it. I'll check out those videos you suggested thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Those 30 basses look amazing but are waaaay to posh for me! Wonder if we could persuade Scott to do a video with 30 budget basses? Thinking about getting my first 5 string next year and something like that video with sub £500 basses would be a great place to start.

I've never owned one but the Sire's have got to be worth a look.  Andertons have some Jan sale offers on them, plenty of fivers there around the £500 mark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Videos like this are interesting. They show me how similar most basses are and with a little EQing how 90% of them will sound indistinguishable from each other.

 

An Ed Freidland Precision bass comparison. . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJUz1oajXo

 

Great video that. It just goes to show that 90% of the stuff we talk about on here is utter nonsense. 

But then I think most of us knew that anyway. 😂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

They all sounded exactly the same!!!

There was a sister video where he played these basses without the track. You could hear minor differences, but that's my previous point. We turn ourselves inside out over small differences in sound and some think they are on a quest for the "perfect" sound. When you hear a mashup like this you realise that good is good enough and the focus should be on what we are playing rather than the tools.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

They all sounded exactly the same!!!

Yup. I'd like to have seen a couple of sub £200 Squires, Harley Benton, Vintage etc thrown in there. I bet you still wouldn't hear the difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda defeats the point when he changes technique from bass to bass - muted thumb picking on a Sadowsky then next up some slapping on a Status. The KS and MTD basses sounded superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There was a sister video where he played these basses without the track. You could hear minor differences, but that's my previous point. We turn ourselves inside out over small differences in sound and some think they are on a quest for the "perfect" sound. When you hear a mashup like this you realise that good is good enough and the focus should be on what we are playing rather than the tools.

I just had a listen to the Isolated bass ones, the only difference I could really pick up on was between the basses with Rounds and Flats, but even that was surprisingly minimal.  

You almost found a permanent cure for my GAS affliction.  Fortunately there are many other aspects to buying basses; weight, neck profile, aesthetics, play-ability so still plenty of things to debate here on Basschat.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Fortunately there are many other aspects to buying basses; weight, neck profile, aesthetics, play-ability 

 

Access to the Internet and amount of alcohol consumed are usually the main two deciding factors for me. 😂

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that was actually very interesting.  Some of those basses sounded like they couldn't punch a hole through a wet paper bag. I'm guessing they would be lost in the live mix without some serious eq or space. 

Sandburg, Gibson, Pedulla and the single coil Fedora sounded good to me. 

 

Edited by 2elliot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, acidbass said:

Sounds awesome - thanks so much for the link! Most just sound like normal Jazz Basses and I have the following thoughts:

Top 3:

- Vigier 4 - can imagine that sweet high end on a 5 string, would buy instantly!

- Ken Smith BSR 5 TN, super tight low B

- MTD 534 24 OMG what a tone!

Very Impressed By:

- MTD Super 5 - loved how different this tone was, very synthy towards the end, surely Scott kicked on an octave pedal?

- Hofner obviously

- Yamaha Billy Sheehan - surprised how round the P tone from this bass sounded for a supposed ‘rock bass’ - stick flats on it and I would definitely bring this baby to sessions

- Status Graphite - not my personal choice of tone at all but so remarkable!

- Dingwall Lee Sklar sig - like a P bass on steroids!

- Ken Smith Hadrien Feraud sig - loved the high end

- Spector Euro LE4, loved the punch outta a solo P pickup

Underwhelmed By:

- Fender Pino - definitely not a £3,500 P Bass

- Zon Legacy Elite 5 - sounded so thin!

- Fodera Monarch Deluxe - a very pretty instrument but for £5,500 you basically get what sounds like a 5 string J Bass!

- Alembic Custom - the pickup position surely to blame here for a very non musical bass tone :(

 

 

 

 

 

 

I thought the Alembic had one of the few musical tones on offer. Horses for courses and all that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Reaper said:

Hey Cuzzie, you've got a good memory! Yeah very much wish list - I saw one on BC and really liked the look of it. I'll check out those videos you suggested thanks.

@ReaperWas it in the for sale section? If so, go for it if you can, if not, you can always DM the person and suggest if they ever want to part with it, you could be first in line - you never know, may work?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the MTD Super 5 and the Warwick. It also struck me how much the Yamaha Attitude still sounded like Billy Sheehan with Scott playing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that showed me that I'm not much of a fan of the sound of really expensive basses, although the Alembic was nice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...