Why become a member? ×

The fascinatin' 66 Slab-bodied P-bass

The Bass Doc

Hi all,
Advance notice that there is a book coming out in a month or so about the history of this ultra rare model. It is so rare I only ever owned 2 of them! One went to U2s Adam Clayton via his guitar tech whilst on tour (my good friend was tech for the support). The other one is now owned by my mate 'Big Baz' Matthews who has written the book. Advance pics are being E-mailed to me by Baz since I helped in some of the research. I still get misty-eyed when recalling my favourite one as I consider it to be the best sounding of all of the many P basses I have owned. The book's foreward is written by John Entwhistle but sadly he never got to do the epilogue.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='385771' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:38 AM']Hi all,
Advance notice that there is a book coming out in a month or so about the history of this ultra rare model. It is so rare I only ever owned 2 of them! One went to U2s Adam Clayton via his guitar tech whilst on tour (my good friend was tech for the support). The other one is now owned by my mate 'Big Baz' Matthews who has written the book. Advance pics are being E-mailed to me by Baz since I helped in some of the research. I still get misty-eyed when recalling my favourite one as I consider it to be the best sounding of all of the many P basses I have owned. The book's foreward is written by John Entwhistle but sadly he never got to do the epilogue.[/quote]

Did parts of this become the famous Frankenbass as used on Live at Leeds?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='385779' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:46 AM']I remember reading an interview with Baz in Bassist mag a few years back and he got a pic and a mention in the Fender Bass book. He must be a good age by now.

Looking forward to getting a copy of this. Who's going to be selling it?[/quote]

Author.com, Amazon.com, also apparently Fender will stock it and 'others'

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='385774' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:40 AM']Wow... I'm looking forward to that!

Can you tell us a bit about Baz? I know he's a mine of info on all things Fender, but he's never got involved with discussions online... or has he?

It would be great to hear what he has to say...[/quote]

I don't think Baz is into online stuff but I could try to persuade him. However at this time it's probably best to let him get the book out and deal with follow-up interest which is bound to occour as a result. You're right that Baz knows his stuff - almost as much as me!(after all I must be one of the very few to have spent some time in the company of Leo Fender)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='387054' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:44 AM']Does the book have a title?[/quote]

The title is A Fender Bass for Britain - strange one I know but the fact is the Shermans didn't recognise it's existence since it was only targeted at the UK market. One theory is that it would be used as a 'market tester' towards whether to bring back the original P- bass (as the Telecaster) which of course they did. This was the first return to maple necks as standard since 1959. Better not say much more so that you can enjoy the full story when the book comes out.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='387218' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:04 AM']I'm not sure I understand, this is a whole book about a certain model p bass?[/quote]

So it would seem. I mean, I love P's but... ;) - good luck to 'em anyway.

BTW, look out for my lavish, coffee-table book book on 'Interesting Turnips of 1968'

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Toasted' post='387213' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:00 AM']What was it like meeting Leo?[/quote]

Oh dear, I would have to do that by installments - for those old enough you may remember that in 1979 Srings and Things ran a competition whereby if you bought a Musicman item in a particular month you were automatically entered in a draw (via the guarantee card) where the prize was to meet Leo Fender. At this time I was intrigued by the Stingray bass being his first major project since the 60s and bought one at Rock City in Newcastle. It was the first (and only) time I bought a brand new instrument and it was a novelty to complete a guarantee card so I sent it off not thinking I might win.
May 1979 - call from S'n'T - 'you won'! The value of the prize would be hard to justify these days - 10 days in L.A., all expenses paid, car hire, top class hotel in Newport Beach and approx. 3 of the days in the company of the great man. Other installments may follow......

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='387218' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:04 AM']I'm not sure I understand, this is a whole book about a certain model p bass?[/quote]

Yes I don't expect it to be a thick book - likely to be 'padded out' with lots of big pictures of erm....1966 Slab bodied Precision basses. Shoudn't be pricey though

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='387563' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:43 PM']May 1979 - call from S'n'T - 'you won'! The value of the prize would be hard to justify these days - 10 days in L.A., all expenses paid, car hire, top class hotel in Newport Beach and approx. 3 of the days in the company of the great man. Other installments may follow......[/quote]
You the man, Sir.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='387407' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:37 PM']BTW, look out for my lavish, coffee-table book book on 'Interesting Turnips of 1968'[/quote]

I'm thinking of publishing a tome about a certain second-hand La Bella flat-wound D string I once fitted to my Jazz bass. It would probably run to 2 volumes ( and one tone....geddit?)